Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
LoCash
Page 8 of 13 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  Next Last Thread Tools
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-06-02, 05:25

I've been busy and just found out.

Read the thread. So many touching comments.

Like others, I never met Jack face-to-face and knew him only as LoCash.

But, boy, did I appreciate his outrageous humour.

He's made me laugh even today.

Bye man. You are truly missed.

bouncy bouncy
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-06-02, 05:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester
Carol,

You should go buy yourself a bottle of wine (something nice, don't skimp), sit out in that big, beautiful garden of yours and get thoroughly blotty (in case that doesn't translate into US English, I mean drunk as a skunk). If you're saying you first found out reading this thread, all I can do is shake my head in despair and emit a low growl in the direction of murbot and kickaha. I assumed someone had done their darnedest to contact you and that your failure to appear in this thread was because you needed some time out to deal with it. Be kind to yourself.
I logged on Weds. evening and the first thing I saw was the notice on the front page. I couldn't take it in at first.

I hadn't been online at all for many days. Kickaha and Alcimedes both had sent me e-mails, but I came to AN first, as I always do.

I wish I could get drunk, but at the moment my stomach feels like it's in a knot, and I'm not sure I could put alcohol in it. I feel like it would burn a hole right through. But it's worth a try, I guess.

I'm really having trouble dealing with this. It's just too awful. The harshest possible reality, in all its coldness and finality, has come crashing into our safe little AppleNova world. A vital and irreplaceable presence has been taken from us without warning. An emptiness has been left, echoing and hollow. I am filled with sorrow.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-06-02, 05:54

I still don't know if I can attend, but if anyone from the digi-world is going you might want to discuss when you'll be arriving and how you might spot each other. It's been raining here in Atlanta since the weekend - endless, shimmery showers, so bring an umbrella or a raincoat.

The parking lot for Spring Hill is on the southwest corner of Spring Street (one way street, southbound) and 10th Street and there is overflow parking on a lower level around the corner, at the bottom of the ginormous fieldstone wall. It would be appropriate to find your seat by 2:45pm at the latest (if possible), as the family will traditionally enter last.

There are countless places besides the Cheetah III that you could go to afterward to have drinks and share stories.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-06-02, 08:33

Wow That's really horrible. "The house that he built" is one of the greatest community I've ever been a member of, and though I may not post much, I love this place. I really don't know LoCash personally much at all, but he seemed like a great friend to have.

Rest in peace.
qroo

Send a message via AIM to qroo  
2005-06-02, 09:25

thanks for all the nice thoughts guys, and don't worry, i'm not beating myself up for anything.

windswept-- please post that afghan hat picture! my father gave that to him one christmas. jack and my dad always got along fairly well. jack came out to visit me during his spring break while i was still in high school, and since i was in class, he spent his days talking to my dad that week. poor guy, you go to visit your girlfriend and are left alone with her father for most of the time!

reading all of these stories about jack, i'm remembering ones of my own, ones i haven't thought of in years. i remember our first macworld together where he was too shy to say more than a couple of words to me, and the thousands of emails that ensued. the next year we sat in union square on a park bench, his head on my shoulder, his hand in mine, not a word being said. what did jack used to say? "knowing what is said when there are no words"? that park has since been redone and no longer resembles the park that jack and i experienced. it seems only fitting, like that memory is now ensconced in time and concrete, protected from any other memory being written over it.

i remember the early stages in our relationship, when we were 3,000 miles apart and i would wake each morning and eagerly anticipate the sound of eudora receiving new mail from jack (oh god we had a geeky relationship). i remember when we moved in together, sharing our first tiny apartment in boston. i remember the horrible ramen he made for me that was so spicy i couldn't even breathe near it! i remember intense starcraft games and late night visits to the deli haus, where we would challenge ourselves to their enormous strawberry vanilla waffles.

i remember staying up late preparing for his review boards, cutting mats and developing film (sorry for ruining those two rolls). i remember all the times he comforted me when i was homesick, and calmed me when i was stressed. he was the one who introduced me to DS9, to photography, to our cat arthur.

i'm sitting here writing these things and tears are beginning to stream down my face. maybe i'm sharing too much, but i feel like i have all these memories of jack that just need to be shared-- to someone, anyone, everyone. over the years we spent together, we loved each other, drove each other crazy, and helped each other grow up.

i wish you would have called, jack. i wish we could have talked again. even though there were problems at the end, i hope you know i still cared. we had a great, crazy run you and i. i will miss you.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-06-02, 09:56

qroo, that is a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing that.
Words sometimes don’t seem adequate, but yours said so much.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-02, 12:23

qroo thanks for sharing ... they're beautiful memories to have.

"what do i know" ... beautiful poem on the front page - did his parents send that to us?

... give his family strength.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-06-02, 12:35

"Our dialogue will live for all time."

That is an amazing poem. Someone please tell us who wrote that.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-06-02, 12:41

Many thanks to qroo, taft, schalliol, and everyone else who knew Jack 'in real life' for coming on here and sharing your memories... somehow it makes it easier to deal with.

It's a very strange feeling, to be grieving for someone for whom I have no memories other than words on a screen. I didn't even know what he looked like until yesterday. Hearing other people's stories about him in the flesh is oddly comforting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-02, 12:41

Carol and Mac+: that poem was sent to me by someone that was "close to the family" who said it would be read today. He/she didn't give a real name, just an e-mail address.
¡Damned!

2005-06-02, 13:01

Damn. That's really, really nice. Choked me right up.
schalliol

Send a message via AIM to schalliol  
2005-06-02, 13:13

I was just reminded of something that you might find funny. Should anyone end up writing something including the word color, perhaps consider using "colour". Jack and I had a multi-year battle over using the UK spelling of words in the U.S.A., especially since he really wanted to be in the Marines. What was great is that he would find ways to use "colour" when we weren't at all talking about it, just to piss me off .

Jack, rest in peace. I know you sold your HDTV, and I'm sure you're using a 200 incher right now!
schalliol

2005-06-02, 13:14

I was thinking of ways to keep Jack living on, and one I think is to continue to have his site live in perpetuity. I did a lookup at Network Solutions of turborodent.com and found that the domain has another couple of years, but who knows about the hosting. Perhaps AppleNova can host it. Of course the catch is to get the domain transfered, as well as the files. Any ideas?

Here's a link that Taft found of his old portfolio: http://www.turborodent.com/portfolio/
and here's a design he recently sent me that he was working on: http://turborodent.com/skitzo.png

I've just got to get my cats using the LitterFree cat toilet he sold me

Jack, rest in peace. I know you sold your HDTV, and I'm sure you're using a 200 incher right now!

Last edited by schalliol : 2005-06-02 at 13:26. Reason: Added portfolio & design
schalliol

2005-06-02, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by schalliol
I was thinking of ways to keep Jack living on, and one I think is to continue to have his site live in perpetuity. I did a lookup at Network Solutions of turborodent.com and found that the domain has another couple of years, but who knows about the hosting. Perhaps AppleNova can host it. Of course the catch is to get the domain transfered, as well as the files. Any ideas?
I may have answered my own question, workin' on that...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-06-02, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by schalliol
I was just reminded of something that you might find funny. Should anyone end up writing something including the word color, perhaps consider using "colour". Jack and I had a multi-year battle over using the UK spelling of words in the U.S.A., especially since he really wanted to be in the Marines. What was great is that he would find ways to use "colour" when we weren't at all talking about it, just to piss me off .
Did he tell you the story about the math teacher he had to write a paper for in junior high? That's where all his British spelling came from. It was a great story. When I was first at this site, I thought LoCash was Canadian or something, because of his spelling.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-02, 13:55

I remember that story - I was trying to search for the thread just then.

He created another thread too Carol - which if you find (forum ...), you might look at with different eyes now. I've always wondered about his motives for posting it. Don't know whether this is the right time to mention it - mods delete this para if inappropriate.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
schalliol

2005-06-02, 14:25

Updated Obituary Thanks for finding this, taft. I added the bold.

Quote:
Family-Placed Death Notice

Jack R. Frost, IV, born in Atlanta on February 26, 1981, died on Saturday, May 28, 2005. The cause of death was accidental. After attending the Galloway School in Atlanta, Jack received an Arts degree from the School of the Museum of Fine Arts of Boston and a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Tufts University where he majored in art and design. He started a business, MACIIID.com, while still in school, and worked as art director for various companies and projects in Georgia and California. He is survived by his parents, Jack R. and Deirdre Murphy Frost of Atlanta. A memorial service will be held on Thursday, June 2, 2005, at Spring Hill at 3 p.m. with The Rev. Dr. John Westerhoff officiating. The family will recieve friends one hour before the service and, afterward, at the home of David Hinshaw, 1835 Wellbourne Dr. Flowers may be sent to the family at Patterson's. Arrangements by H.M. Patterson & Son Spring Hill Chapel, 1020 Spring Street, N.W., Atlanta (404) 876-1022.
Notice there is a guest book.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-06-02, 15:04

I just got back from the service and there was a guest book.
As soon as I walked in I saw two people I knew and afterward saw two more, several of whom knew Jack through his Dad.

Spring Hill was as solemn as I remember. The floors are old and creaky now but the sound in the space is very special.

Oh Jack's Mom...... it made you cry to hear her grief during the service. The pastor's voice dipped and faltered when she couldn't hold back.

For a young man Jack certainly had a lot of friends. A LOT of friends.

There's a memorial service until 8:30pm, but I can't attend.

I have a copy of the memorial service program and will upload that as a PDF in an hour or two.

Brad, check your IMs.

Captain Drew on Twitter
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-06-02, 15:15

Thanks drew, it's good to know that we all were represented in some way.
schalliol

2005-06-02, 15:29

Thanks drew, it sounded like a touching ceremony.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-06-02, 15:30

yes, thank you for the update and especially for going...

though it pains me to hear you mention his mother's crys, i know that i would be just as bad, if not worse...i weep just at the thought of losing a child

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-06-02, 15:35

It was too close not to go Kick.
Also, I took a few minutes and went ahead and scanned in the program.

You can download Jack's Memorial Program from this link.

When the poem that's currently posted on the front page of the site was read I couldn't HELP but feel like I had insider information on the service, provided by an Apple Fanboy website. The irony was pleasant until the line "hey digital boy who went analog". Oh Jack's poor mother.

During the closing moments someone's cellular phone went off up front on the lefthand side of the aisle. I couldn't see them (wasn't really looking, only listening) but it sounds like there were fumbling to make it stop making noise when it WHUMMP!! to the ground.

The somebody started squawking, some voice yakking on the other end.

More fumbling.

It was terrible, and it was comical at the same time. I'm sure that whoever was putting on the floor show was mortified.

On the way out of the parking lot I looked up and saw that Checker's had an advert for a hamburger. The word "JACK" was on the middle line and that's all I saw as I turned onto Spring Street and looped around to head back up Peachtree.

Captain Drew on Twitter
WBG4

Send a message via ICQ to WBG4 Send a message via AIM to WBG4  
2005-06-02, 16:48

I am sorry to say i never really knew LoCash and i didn't think this thread would effect me like this but as of right now i am crying. Jack Rest In Peace man. Your css wisdom used on this site influenced me. You rocked ( and still do rock)

Comic sans sucks.
That is all
iBrowse

2005-06-02, 17:48

Thank you all for sharing your stories, it's nice to at least get out a few chuckles. Admins, how long is the donation PayPal account going to be available? I'm still waiting on money to transfer to PayPal and really want to help with the charity donation. Until then, the pirate flag in my front yard will be flying at half mast, most fitting tribute I can think of.

i thought i used to have a signature
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2005-06-02, 17:57

I wasn't sure what to write here, i don't post much but this is one of the greatest community's I've ever been a member of. I never really knew LoCash, but he built a fantastic legacy that will live on for a long time.

Rest in peace.
qroo

Send a message via AIM to qroo  
2005-06-02, 18:18

drewprops- thank you for going and scanning in the program. i can only imagine what his parents are going through. this is too much for any one family to bear. i hope they know how many people cared about jack, how many were thinking about him then and are still thinking about him now.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-02, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrowse
Admins, how long is the donation PayPal account going to be available? I'm still waiting on money to transfer to PayPal and really want to help with the charity donation.
I don't expect to ever take it down. Though, we'll probably change the PayPal account to something other than Eric's personal one and I'll move the page so it doesn't redirect the front page forever. There'll probably be a link up there where we have Home, Forums, and Store. As mentioned, we're planning to put the remaining and future funds to a charity in Jack's name, probably the Georgia aquarium or breast cancer research because he'd mentioned both of those before.

Drew, thank you again very, very much for attending the service today. I'd been thinking about making the trip myself with Kickaha, but I realized that it would just be too emotionally taxing, especially with that 8-hour drive there and back. I would have loved to be there with the family, but it's comforting to know that so many of his other friends were there too.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-06-02, 20:58

Damn it. I can't help but keep hoping that this is some sort of elaborate hoax. I know it's not but I guess I'm still in denial over the whole thing. It still feels surrreal.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-06-02, 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Damn it. I can't help but keep hoping that this is some sort of elaborate hoax. I know it's not but I guess I'm still in denial over the whole thing. It still feels surrreal.
I know what you mean. I'm trying to accept it, but part of me is saying "He'll log on in a day or 2 and laugh his ass off at us".

It would be easier if we knew what happened to him.

You ask me for a hamburger.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-06-02, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
I know what you mean. I'm trying to accept it, but part of me is saying "He'll log on in a day or 2 and laugh his ass off at us".

It would be easier if we knew what happened to him.
i gotta say, it would be one heck of a joke.