User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Returning iPod to Best Buy advice

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Returning iPod to Best Buy advice
yoda_four

2005-02-22, 19:57

Hopefully if that new colour screen, blutooth 30GB iPod comes out tomorrow, I'll be returning the 40GB I got about 20 days ago! I wanted to know if there's anything I should look out for when returing to Best Buy, like completely erase the HD, scratches, packaging, etc. How have your returns with BB been?
datapusher

2005-02-23, 09:16

my mom just returned her mini and as long as you have the cables and the ipod all together and you're nice to the person, you should be able to get a full cash refund. here's the key, ask for a your ipod to be refunded seperately from your insurance (if you bought any).

sorry about the bluetooth, that won't happen for a good while.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-23, 09:35

what is the point of the insurance without an iPod???
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-02-23, 11:49

Just take back everything you got with it and have the receipt. There have no reason to deny you a refund if you're within 30 days. There are no tricks to it because it's a very straightforward process. I'd avoid saying something about the update but they have no right to deny you a refund even if you do.
jammasterjoe17

2005-02-23, 17:05

Will they accept a return if you have already opened the box?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-23, 17:07

Last I recall, there is a restocking fee for open box returns on digital devices like the iPod. Still, it's worth a try.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-02-23, 17:45

I know staples said they'd accept a HD I had opened, but I didn't tell them I used it

I didn't return it then, my dad and brother said it would be too dishonest.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-02-23, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Last I recall, there is a restocking fee for open box returns on digital devices like the iPod. Still, it's worth a try.
I don't think they charge for open box returns unless it's missing something. I could be wrong but unless they've changed something recently, they don't charge extra.

From here:
Quote:
Restocking fees will be applied to ANY product not returned in "like new condition" including missing the original box, packaging material, contents, accessories or manuals. A 15% restocking fee will be charged on returns or exchanges of any opened notebook computer, camcorder, digital camera or radar detector, unless defective, damaged upon delivery, or if the wrong product was delivered. Exchanges can only be made at a Best Buy store within the United States.
runner91786

2005-02-24, 00:13

I work at Best Buy, in computer sales. The only items that require a restocking fee are computers, tvs, appliances, and i believe digital camcorders...maybe. Ipods dont cost you anything. Returning is easy, and since the price has dropped, they will refund down to that price and/or switch it for a new one. We are gettin the new ipods in within the next week hopefully. - Matt
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-24, 00:20

I know someone who brought in a CRT monitor after buying it because he stupidly put a magnet next to it and made it all purple. He just told them it stopped working properly and they gave him a new one as a replacement without even opening the box he had it in to check it out. Returning to Best Buy is SUPER easy.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-24, 00:30

Wow. I'll have to remember that in the future!
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2005-02-24, 00:37

bah, had they just plugged the damn thing in, they could have degaussed it on the spot for him. yep, gotta love the geek squad.

oh, speaking of returning stuff to best buy, if anyone remembers the "My Pumpkin ate my TV" thread, after i cleaned the shit out from inside it and got ahold of my buddy at the service center, exchanging it only took a few days.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-24, 00:37

I think it's no questions asked, full refund within 30 days there.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-02-24, 00:53

That's good. My friend bought a 20GB iPod a week ago. I think he'll want the 30GB iPod photo!
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2005-02-24, 01:24

just found out some crappy news, i was gonna take mine back cuz the battery is crapping out on me, but i just found out that the ipod photo comes w/ no dock, firewire cable, or case! dubya tee eff mate!!!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-24, 02:31

Yeesh, I didn't realize they cut the Firewire and AC adapter from even the full-sized iPods. That's retarded. Why not give you an option of USB 2.0 or Firewire? Ugh.

So unless you want to spend $30 on a power adapter (which, by the way, has a ship time of 2-4 weeks), you can only charge your iPod from the USB 2.0 port on your running computer. It's another $20 for the Firewire cable. A $50 price drop isn't just justified, it's damn necessary to make up for all the stuff they cut out!
baaron

Send a message via AIM to baaron  
2005-02-24, 22:04

IMO, Costco has the best return policy, ever!

I can understand excluding the dock/carrying case, which I deem unnecessary. But no firewire/compatible power adapter/audio video cable??? Stupid.

Does Apple seriously believe that everyone has a new mac with USB 2.0?? Damn.

Also, what accessories come with the new iPod mini/"super" iPod mini???

I like Bawls and Rocket Fuel! (See http://www.xoxide.com/)

D00D, like 1337 totally man, have you seen Anchorman???
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-02-24, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Yeesh, I didn't realize they cut the Firewire and AC adapter from even the full-sized iPods. That's retarded. Why not give you an option of USB 2.0 or Firewire? Ugh.
I'm pretty sure that the full size iPods have AC adapters included. It says on the tech specs page

Quote:
Earbud headphones, AC adapter, USB 2.0 cable
for the iPod photo and the regular iPod even includes the FW cable.