User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Wireless Router and airport express??

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wireless Router and airport express??
Herbie

2005-04-27, 09:48

I have an imac 400 DV which i'm gonna replace later this year, but in the meantime I need to go wireless as the missus has just bought a wireless laptop.

Having just bought 2 Airport Express the first thing i realised is that I'm gonna need a modem with ethernet (my current one is the dreaded usb ). My intention is to get a wireless ADSL modem router with ethernet ports i.e. the imac will be connected via an ethernet cable, one Airport Express will also be connected via ethernet and then i will wirelessly bridge to the other Airport Express.

The question is....will all this work?

Do I need to connect the first Airport Express via ethernet or could I wirelessly bridge both Airport Expresses from the wireless router?

Will Airtunes work from the imac, i.e. could I effectively go backwards through the wireless router to stream music to each Airport Express?

The Netgear DG834GT has data rates of 108Mbps, compared to 54Mbps for the Airports. Has anyone tried connecting them and know what happens to the data rates?

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

Many thanks.