User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

sharing 56k internet connection over airport

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
sharing 56k internet connection over airport
martinu

2005-07-19, 05:10

I have a G3 and G4 iBook, both working OS 10.3. I want to set up to share the hard-wired internet connection of one with the other wirelessly. I have installed an airport card and an airport extreme card in the appropriate machines.

I can set up an airport network between the machines I can select 'sharing internet access through internal modem by airport', I can even get the other machine to read that it is receiving a shared internet access via airport. What I can not do is actually get any piece of software to use this link. Mail and Safari (not to mention Firefox) still seem to think that the machine is off line.

Has anybody got any thoughts on this? Could it be my ISP not allowing sharing?

Thanks guys.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-07-19, 05:44

I'm a little lost. Are you trying to do this with or without an Airport base station?
martinu

2005-07-19, 07:04

no base station.
internet access through modem and hard wire, trying to share through airport.
do you think it cant be done without a basestation?
i can certainly make a network without a basestation so I assumed that if one of my ibooks was connected to the internet I could share its connection with the other over airport.
what do you think?
ta
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-07-19, 07:52

It can be done, I've set that up for my parents. Are you running 10.3.9 and the latest airport updates? Gotta run to work, but I'll check back in later today with some step by step if no one else has by then.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
martinu

2005-07-19, 08:16

thanks alcimedes
only 10.3.2 I am afraid, at 120MB for the 3.9 update, with only a 56k connection that is a big ask!
do you know how to find out about airport updates? I have tried 'software updates' and nothing is coming up for airport, does that mean I have the latest?
I will look again later and see if you have had time. thanks again
martinu

2005-07-19, 09:30

wow, you inspired me to try harder alcimedes!
i've done it!!!!!
for those of you who are interested:
turn on internet sharing in internet section of sharing pane
then look in airport of other machine: when the pop-up menu opens up it should have the other computer/network listed, not next to 'create new netwrok...' but just above 'other...' if there just click on it and the internet sharing is there.
yipee!!!!
thanks for the help, hope this helps others

what I do realise is that I can use the G3 with airport as the machine sharing its internet connection but not the other way around. I guess the G3 with airport can't pick up signals coming from a G4 airport extreme card, though of course this is not the case with just making simple networks they work fine!
any thoughts anyone

thanks

Last edited by martinu : 2005-07-19 at 10:39.