User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Airtunes client mode AirPort question

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Airtunes client mode AirPort question
jf196

2005-08-27, 11:22

Tech help question... Please forgive the lenghty and non-tech description.

I just purchased an AirPort Express. I want to connect my stereo to my existing network in client mode and listen to iTunes through my stereo. I have a wireless network through a Linksys router.

When I first plugged everything in, it worked for a minute (I don't remember what I did), but then I had lost all my other real internet connections so I tried to fix it and now haven't been able to get it to work once. The amber light has been flashing ever since.

Right after I do a hard reset, I can use the AirPort Admin Utility to connect to my wireless network in client mode and plug in my passwords and such and rename the airport connection -- everything seems to work fine. But then when I go to iTunes it does not register the AirTunes connection and I cannot join the AirPort wireless network -- it doesn't show up in the menu.

I've looked through all the help menus, and the one thing it says about trouble-shooting client mode connections is that my router must be set to have an access control list and I need to enter the AirPort MAC number. I checked my Linksys settings and the MAC list is disabled. In any case, I enabled it and added the AirPort MAC number. It didn't do anything. Still amber flashing light. I've done the reset twice (once regular and once a complete reset) and have heard that it's not such a good idea to continue to do this.

Is there something stupid I am missing here? Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-27, 13:20

Can we just clarify - you want to link to AE via your Linksys, not directly (ie your Mac directly to AE)?
jf196

2005-08-27, 13:50

I want to stream my iTunes to my stereo, which I have connected to an AE. My Linksys router runs my wireless network, which I think is what my AE is running through to my computer, but I could be very wrong. Does this answer your question?

In any case, I think my AE is plain broken. I've followed all the detailed directions from Apple Help and this helpful discussion thread (http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...18@.68a345db/0, see David Lowell's first post) and factory resetted my AE too many times, and I can't get anything but a flashing amber light. Now, despite any reset, my computer doesn't even register the AE at all. It simply doesn't show up so I can't change any settings.

Needless to say, I am totally lost and at this point think it's broken. I've tried changing the settings on my Linksys router and everything I can think of.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-27, 14:15

Should be straightforward (and you can ignore the flashing amber light on AE - my amber light has been flashing since set up and AirTunes works flawlessly). If you can connect properly to your Linkys then your WiFi card on your PC (do you have a PC running XP?) should be working OK. Bear in mind that Linksys is NOT relevant here. Using AirTunes means connecting your PC to AE and the WiFi card on your PC communicates directly with AE. You use your Linksys for wirelessly reaching the internet, right?

Your AE needs to be plugged in and switched on and connected to your stereo (using the RCA connectors). Set up the AE network using the Admin utility and use a password / encryption as normal. Don't use the stealth function - ie make sure your AE network is discoverable.

Once the AE network is on, use whatever app you normally use to check the network is visible (on a Mac I would use a widget called AirTraffic). Assuming it is, join the network in normal way.

Then launch iTunes and you will see the small box on iTunes on the bottom RHS asking where you want to output to. Click on the AE network name and hey presto.

Resetting AE shouldn't make any particular difference - it certainly shouldn't damage it.
Swing

2006-03-15, 17:05

I just hooked up an Airport Express to run Airtunes via an Airport Express in client mode and had similar issues.

First, try a hard reset of the Express as described here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108044

Then, try the solution described here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302153.

Afterwards, the green light may even show again- and, even better, simultaneous access to the internet and airtunes should work fine.

P.S. Just updating this old thread since I did not find a solution via a search.