Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Looking for jailbreak apps

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Looking for jailbreak apps
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-06-18, 20:30

I just jailbroke my iPod touch because I wanted to take a crack at it before paying for the 2.0 upgrade next month.

Now that I've done it, I love it, and I have no plans of upgrading to 2.0 until there's a jailbreak for it. I'd be willing to pay for some apps, but the quality of the free stuff out now really impressed me to the point that I'm willing to wait.

So far, I've installed these apps:
  • MobileTwitter - I'm a light twitter user, but this will probably increase my usage
  • Sudoku - I don't play it a ton, but I wanted something to do on a plane next week, so this should suffice
  • Mines - Minesweeper; it's a decent implementation and a fun diversion
  • ToDoList2 - The main reason I did this, having a to-do list makes my iPod feel complete as a PDA, which is primarily how I use it
  • Sketches - Great little sketchpad; I doubt I'll use it much, but it's certainly fun
  • Tetris - Yeah, it's tetris.
  • iPhysics - I got to play this for a few minutes before the Macworld keynote when I discovered I was in line with a member of the unofficial Dev Team. It's still as fun as it was then.
  • iSolitaire - My favorite Klondike game ever. I'd love to find a Free Cell game this good for the iPod
  • SMBPrefs - I love my new Leopard theme
  • Finder - I doubt I'll ever use it, but why not?
  • TextEdit - Another "because I can" app
  • VNsea - I haven't used it yet, but it should be fun to play with
  • Make It Mine - Changed the iPod label as advertised. Very slick.

So, What jailbreak apps do all of you use? I know we have a few jailbroken iPod and iPhone owners on here, so what else should I get?

I'd really like to get Free Cell and a good RSS reader, as well as any other little games that might be fun.\

And one side question: Does anybody know if I can change the label that shows up under an application? ToDoList2 looks really stupid, and I'd like to just change it to ToDo or ToDo List.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2008-06-18, 20:39

Nice list - you have some I don't (which I'm about to check out). Also, try these:
  • Flashlight - a quick and dirty way to see around in the dark - it simply jacks up your LCD brightness and turns the display white
  • FiveDice - slick Yahtzee clone
  • NES - requires SSH to install games, but really does work as advertised - the controller is even on-screen!
  • Wallpaper - a massively multiplayer wallpaper sharing application - it randomly shows the wallpaper of others using the app, and allows you to use ones you like
Try using VNSea too! It takes a little while to get used to its nuances, but after a while you'll be amazed how well-implemented it is; it's also the only iPod touch app that supports cut and paste.

Edit: OMG, Tetris FTW!

You ask me for a hamburger.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-06-18, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans View Post
Flashlight - a quick and dirty way to see around in the dark - it simply jacks up your LCD brightness and turns the display white
I'll check that out. I usually use my phone for that, but it's not as bright as my iPod.

Quote:
Try using VNSea too! It takes a little while to get used to its nuances, but after a while you'll be amazed how well-implemented it is; it's also the only iPod touch app that supports cut and paste.
Is it command-line only on the remote machine, or does it support a full GUI? I'd love to try this out.

Quote:
Edit: OMG, Tetris FTW!
That is a pretty good one. It's a little finicky, but it's better than I expected.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2008-06-18, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz
Is it command-line only on the remote machine, or does it support a full GUI? I'd love to try this out.
Full GUI indeed. You can pinch to zoom in to 100% (or less if it suits you), scroll the view around (using two fingers), click and drag the mouse (and right-click too!), pull up an onscreen keyboard (with modifier keys and common shortcuts), etc - it makes a ton of functionality simple and intuitive. Just make sure you use a fast encoding on the VNC server for maximum snappiness (turning down the pixel depth also helps).

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2008-06-18 at 21:16.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-06-18, 20:53

What's the best way to get VNsea running? I have a PC and Mac on my network, and it would be nice to access both.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2008-06-18, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
What's the best way to get VNsea running? I have a PC and Mac on my network, and it would be nice to access both.
It's really easy (just for shits and giggles, I'm editing this post using VNSea on my iPod). On a Mac, get Vine Server. On Windows, get TightVNC server.

On either system, start the server application and open port 5900 on your computer's firewall. Then (assuming your iPod is connected to your local network), just enter the system's local IP address into VNSea (and the password if you've set one). It should connect without a hitch - setting the color depth to 8 or 16 (I use 16) will of course make it faster.

To connect from outside your local network, you'll have to open up your router settings and forward port 5900 to the appropriate internal IP address; in this case you type your router's external IP into VNsea to gain access. If you want the capability to connect to either machine, use another forwarded port (like 5901) for the second computer's IP (making sure to change the respective VNC server application to listen on said port).

The nice thing about VNsea is that it remembers multiple profiles (and allows you to choose a familiar name such as "Mac" or "PC"); you access the machine of your choice in just two taps (launch VNSea, then select the cooresponding saved profile).

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2008-06-18 at 21:18.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-06-19, 06:20

Thanks. I'll definitely try that out soon.

Does anybody here know of a good IM client? If I bother getting one, it would need to support Jabber, since we use that at work.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-06-19, 06:30

Quote:
Does anybody here know of a good IM client?
Apollo, perhaps?

Also, various web apps like flick.im.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-06-19, 06:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Apollo, perhaps?

Also, various web apps like flick.im.
I've tried some Web apps (including meebo), but I don't love them. Apollo might do the trick, though.

[edit] Other thing I'd like to find: Screenshot utility. There's one for the iPhone, but it uses the mute button, which I obviously don't have. Are there any alternatives?
T-Man
The Hoarding Packrat™

2008-06-19, 08:17

• Toggle Background: if you find yourself changing/ wanting to change screen brightness often
  • weDict: if you're a multilinguist, or just for the occasional English lookup
  • MobileFinder: if you need plist and permission and cetera access
  • Make It Mine: to customise the top left iPod 'banner'
  • Maps Offline: stores Google Maps routes and imagery
  • Taskbar Notifier: puts a mail icon up there with the battery (and iPod-playing and alarms-set) icon(s) to alert you of mail ; also does SMS, if there are any unusing iPhoners
  • Touchpad Pro: if using your iPod as a laptop-like touchpad is that fascinating to you. I used it once, and haven't bothered again...
  • RemoteNote: there's also this, to access your notes on a browser, but I haven't been able to make it work
  • OpenSSH: for that SSHing
  • and lastly: SummberBoard; for all of the customisation of icons and stuff

After noticing how many apps I don't use, I think I should go-a deleting...
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2008-06-19, 10:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
[*]Touchpad Pro: if using your iPod as a laptop-like touchpad is that fascinating to you. I used it once, and haven't bothered again...
This is tits though! I just tried it out... it's like a wireless presenter on crack.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-06-19, 11:09

Finally found a good RSS app. It's just called "Feeds" and it syncs with your Google Reader account. It's not perfect, but it's certainly usable for light RSS reading.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-06-19, 14:20

NES = win.

That is all.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2008-06-19, 19:37

Quote:
NES = win.

That is all.
Just wondering, does your NES application have any choppiness while playing? Mine does slightly, but it's enough to keep me from playing it often.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-06-19, 20:25

NES does lag a bit for a few games, but most play flawlessly. (At least those I've tried so far.)

I finally found a screenshot tool that works with the iPod touch, too. It's called "Capture" and it works great. You have to SSH in and dig to find the shots, but it works remarkably well.

For iPhone users, the shots go straight into the camera roll. iPod touch owners don't have a camera roll, though (unless there's a hidden preference that I don't know about), so they're buried in the directory.

Do any of you know of a way to enable the camera roll? It would be great to be able to just view the screenshots on the device.

atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2008-06-19, 21:14

Try connecting your USB cable and launching iPhoto.

You could probably also access it from the wallpaper selection preference (in Settings).

Edit: actually, I think I'm mistaken... lemme do some testin'. Perhaps you need to use Preview and MobileFinder.

Also, I just found something I've been looking for since day one - AdBlock. Yes, it really is what you think it is. Add the "i.cocoamug.com" repository to get it.

Edit: Follow the directions here to enable the camera roll under Photos. You can then browse (and delete) on the iPod and email them to yourself, sans SSH.

Edit 2: Actually, something is causing a re-sampling (and loss of quality) with that method. Hm...

Edit 3: OMG. Just found Band - the app from the WWDC keynote. O.O

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2008-06-19 at 23:53.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-06-20, 06:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans View Post
Try connecting your USB cable and launching iPhoto.
I actually sync my iPod to a PC. My only Mac is for work, and it doesn't have anywhere near all my personal stuff on it. I'll try opening Picassa next time I'm near my desktop with a few spare minutes.

Quote:
Also, I just found something I've been looking for since day one - AdBlock. Yes, it really is what you think it is. Add the "i.cocoamug.com" repository to get it.
Holy crap. I'm definitely installing that today.

Quote:
Edit: Follow the directions here to enable the camera roll under Photos. You can then browse (and delete) on the iPod and email them to yourself, sans SSH.

Edit 2: Actually, something is causing a re-sampling (and loss of quality) with that method. Hm...
I've read that they don't look very good in the photos app. I really only want to view them there so I can e-mail them.