finally e3! and no threads already?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
finally e3! and no threads already?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2008-07-14, 14:44

I'm a little surprised that there's no e3 thread as of yet... I've been checking up the the microsoft press conference between my 2 hour lunch break and eating candy here at work and a lot of what they're talking about sounds either awesome or absurd.

the awesome:
-Fable II
-Final Fantasy XIII
-Netflix!!!!

the absurd
-lips
-"the the movies" or whatever

that's just to name a few. I'm personally the most excited for the instant netflix streaming, especially since I can't currently do this despite being a netflix member (I have all macs at home and it only works on PC). Kinda bullshit that they would make it work for xbox before OS X but w/e, I'll get it either way now.

feel free to post opinions and new e3 news here...

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-07-14, 15:48

Final Fantasy XIII for Xbox 360. Spells serious trouble for PS3.

It amazes me that Sony screwed this up so badly. Sony clearly forgot that this is supposed to be a game console first, and everything else second. What's the canned Sony PR regarding the PS3? "Well, it's the best Blu-ray player you can buy!"

The best Blu-ray player I can buy, huh? The Playstation? If I really wanted a Blu-ray player, I'd buy a fucking Blu-ray player. But I wanted a game console, so I bought an Xbox 360, and I play a whole lot of games on it! Fucking idiots. You know Sony is probably one of those companies where the executives sit in the board room and can't figure out for the life of them why they've screwed up, and those are the most fun to watch, since they just keep screwing up.

And while the Sony fanboys are busy circle-jerking with Blu-rays, Microsoft wins once again by offering the Netflix player. So the question becomes, do I want to drive to Best Buy and spend $25 for a movie I'll watch once, or do I want to leave my lazy ass on my couch and get it with the Netflix subscription I'm already paying for?

Epic fail.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2008-07-14, 15:57

If I was still a gamer the one franchise that would force me to buy an Xbox would be FF.

It is a shame that a rumours of a XII remake have not eventuated, as that was the beginning of my gamer run. The scene with Aeris being gutted by Sephiroth Some people remember when JFK was shot, I remember when....

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-07-14, 15:58

Paging Dr Scratt....

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-07-14, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ω_ View Post
If I was still a gamer the one franchise that would force me to buy an Xbox would be FF.

It is a shame that a rumours of a XII remake have not eventuated, as that was the beginning of my gamer run. The scene with Aeris being gutted by Sephiroth Some people remember when JFK was shot, I remember when....
You mean VII?

Yeah that would be epic. I'd love to go play VII again but the combat system makes me want to cry.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-07-14, 23:31

Just saw the "3D Avatars" for Xbox Live.

Oh puh-leeze. Just let Nintendo have their thing, will ya? Maybe the reason people buy Xboxes is because they find the Mii thing a bit twee and embarrassing?

Nonsense.

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-07-14, 23:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Paging Dr Scratt....
...and he bites....

I watched all the videos this morning of *all* the games on *all* the consoles, and they are all pants.
Same old same old. *yawn* X infinity!

Frankly... If we can offload Final Fantasy onto the 360 n00bs then good riddance.
They make great cut scenes, and fantastic movies, but the games.. not so much.

To quote Kraetos 'Epic Fail'.

Other than that I am surprised at all the negative PS3 comments here.
I thought it was all over. Wii is irrelevant as it only gets bad ports of 360 or PS3 titles, or even worse Nintendo abortions.
And the 360 and PS3 have a roughly equal share of what's left to squabble over.

The funny thing is the PS3 is pretty much exactly where the PS2 was in it's lifetime relative to now.

I could go on about the fact that half the supposed 360s out there are actually dead.
And MDollar are dropping prices whereas Sony couldn't give two hoots.
That my 360 is gathering dust as I am too disinterested to fix it *again*, and both my PS3s and my old PS2 are still going strong.. But that would be fanboi-ish, yeah?

In any case I am now working on the theory that if a game is worth playing it will come out on both consoles eventually.

When any company actually brings out a game that lives up to the hype, and is not a sequel, or a copy, or a f&*%king MMO or worse still 'Guitar Idiot' rip-off then wake me up.. Until then I am programming on my Mac each weekend to try and make a decent game, for those that still care...

EDIT - It has to be said that the 360 will become obsolete next year anyway. Rumor has it that in 2010 Sony will finally turn on the other 5 cores on the PS3 and that 1/5th of one of those cores will run a 360 emulator at native speeds.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-07-15, 03:21

The Wii is the only console I want, thus far, and therefore the only one I own. There isn't 1 game for the other consoles that I want and can't get for my compy. A FFVII remake would likely get me to buy a PS3, if I had the cash.

On a side note, I don't understand why people want to play shooters on consoles (though Metroid worked pretty well on the Wii). You need a mouse and keyboard for them, period.

What I am excited about is the new peripheral Nintendo's announced (more on that tomorrow, apparently). It's hilarious that the first speculations from everyone is "maybe 1:1 lightsabers now?". That's really all we want out of life (or at least the Wii).

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!

_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2008-07-15, 03:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
You mean VII?

Yeah that would be epic. I'd love to go play VII again but the combat system makes me want to cry.
Damn Romans and their numerals!

beardedmacuser

2008-07-15, 08:22

So apparently Microsoft are going to officially allow us to copy our games to the 360 hard drive...

Microsoft details new Xbox Live

I guess they'll be selling a lot of those pricey higher capacity 360 hard drives! Running games from the hard drive was one of the killer features of my original chipped Xbox. I'd LOVE to be able to do that on the 360, for the bonus of faster loading and a quieter Xbox!

16:10 support I guess is a big bonus for anyone with a monitor with a native resolution of 1680x1050... such as me!!! Yay, no more crappy fuzziness!

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-07-15, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedmacuser View Post
So apparently Microsoft are going to officially allow us to copy our games to the 360 hard drive...
Wow, really? Thats fucking incredible. I have like 3 (Halo, 3, CoD 4, Rock Band) games I play all the time and it would be epic if I could just flip between them without swapping discs.

I mean, Microsoft sucks, but at least the Xbox division seems to know what they're doing.

@scratt:

The bottom line is, the PS3 is hurting for exclusive titles right now. I really don't see the PS3 surpassing the Xbox 360 in terms of total sales this generation. What about a PS3 is appealing - for $400 - to a typical gamer? Xbox Live is way better than Playstation Network. It costs $50/year, but this is a pretty cut-and-dry case of you get what you pay for. TrueSkill continues to be unrivaled for matchmaking, and the connections on XBL are consistently faster and more reliable than PSN.

But lets talk about the games, shall we? Despite the Gerstmann debacle, I still find GameSpot's scores to line up the closest to my personal tastes. I'll probably switch to Giant Bomb once it's an actual gaming review site, and not just a blog, but until then, GameSpot it is. There are seventeen games released over the past 12 months that got more than a 9 or higher that are on Xbox, Wii, or PS3. Here's the breakdown:

Wii: 4
X360 + PS3: 9
X360: 3 (Halo 3, Mass Effect, and BioShock)
PS3: 1 (MGS4)

Armed with this data and $400, I think its pretty obvious that I'd pick up a 360 over a PS3, especially considering PS3s only remaining exclusive that is likely to be a blockbuster is God of War 3. Then throw in that the 360 is cheaper and has a better online component, and it's pretty obvious that the 360 is the better platform right now, and probably will continue to be for the remainder of the seventh generation.

(I know BioShock is coming to the PS3... a year after the fact. No thanks.)

FYI, the Xbox 360 didn't get a price drop as much as it got a capacity upgrade. The 60GB costs what the 20 used to, and the 20 is going to be phased out. The Elite and the Arcade models stayed the same.

Isn't the PS3 still selling at a loss?

Last edited by Kraetos : 2008-07-15 at 13:46.

beardedmacuser

2008-07-15, 11:57

Quote:
Wow, really? Thats fucking incredible. I have like 3 (Halo, 3, CoD 4, Rock Band) games I play all the time and it would be epic if I could just flip between them without swapping discs.
My guess is that you'll still need to flip discs, and that it'll use the disc to check you have a legitimate copy but then spin down the optical drive and load everything from the hard drive. Maybe...

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-07-15, 12:03

Quote:
My guess is that you'll still need to flip discs, and that it'll use the disc to check you have a legitimate copy but then spin down the optical drive and load everything from the hard drive. Maybe...
That's what they implied yesterday. You'd have to prove you own the game each time you run it, but the contents of the disc would be copied.

So, Nintendo's keynote is right now. I'm not really excited about anything announced for the Wii, but GTA for the DS sounds enticing. I want to know more about it, but I have a feeling I'm about to be really pissed that I sold my DS.

[edit] And judging by the Engadget liveblog, Wii Music is made of fail.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-07-15, 12:13

Quote:
Then, what the fucks the point? If the disk has to be in the tray then there's really no point in installing it and eating the hard drive space. I'd rather deal with the load times.

I'm all for a little privacy protection in this case, but how about using some sort of "you can only install this on one Xbox at a time" that uses XBL to verify?

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-07-15, 12:27

Quote:
Then, what the fucks the point? If the disk has to be in the tray then there's really no point in installing it and eating the hard drive space. I'd rather deal with the load times.

I'm all for a little privacy protection in this case, but how about using some sort of "you can only install this on one Xbox at a time" that uses XBL to verify?
If it reduces the amount of noise coming from the 360, that's something. The 360 hardware is complete shit. Capable shit, but I don't want it. Too damned loud and unreliable.

I think that it will also significantly reduce load time for games like Mass Effect and I hope it improves frame rates. When I had my 360 (before the 4th one died), I couldn't play Mass Effect for the horrific load times and stutter.

Now I've got my PS3 and I'm a relatively happy gamer. I've got CoD4 on it (which I haven't played for a while), MGS4 and The Orange Box. That does me well for right now. I still miss Bioshock because I didn't finish it, but I'll pick it up on Oct. when it's out on the PS3.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-07-15, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
If it reduces the amount of noise coming from the 360, that's something. The 360 hardware is complete shit. Capable shit, but I don't want it. Too damned loud and unreliable.
At the expense of 5-8 GB of drive space? As in, roughly a third of the normal Xbox's drive? Yeah that'll be popular.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2008-07-15, 13:01

My groin still hurts from that swift kick by Nintendo. I'm hoping for something of the more obscure JRPGs today. That's the only thing that will hold me to a PS3 at this point. Between Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4, Infinite Undiscovery, and FF13, I'll be grabbing a 360 soon.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-07-15, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
My groin still hurts from that swift kick by Nintendo. I'm hoping for something of the more obscure JRPGs today. That's the only thing that will hold me to a PS3 at this point. Between Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4, Infinite Undiscovery, and FF13, I'll be grabbing a 360 soon.
I agree on the Nintendo thing. I'm not interested in a single upcoming Wii title now. Not one. If my wife didn't play it on occasion (and if she hadn't bought me Mario Kart as a wedding present), I'd sell the Wii and buy a 360 in an instant. I'm over the Wii. I'm pretty sure I'm done spending money on it.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-07-15, 13:43

The Wii continues to fascinate me. 23 million units sold, and only one of my gamer friends has one.

The conclusion that I've come to is that the Wii has succeeded in doing exactly what it was meant to: sell games to non-gamers. Only non-gamers would waste money on the crap that the vast majority of Wii games are.

Can it last? I don't know. I just am amazed that 23 million Wiis have been sold. I wonder how many of those Wiis are collecting dust?

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-07-15, 13:54

I'll say this for the Wii: It's great fun for just hanging out with people and having a good time, when you're not hanging out for the purpose of playing games.

When you want to play a "real" game, though, I don't see a ton of value. Aside from a small number of first-party games (Brawl, Mario Galaxy and Zelda), there's not much value there for traditional gamers.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2008-07-15, 14:03

I will say - there were only 13 games that I wanted on the Gamecube. I have those 13. It looks like I will only want 11 for the Wii at the end of the year. I'm fine with that, but I was hoping for a new Kirby, something in the form of more storage, and some specific titles on VC. The lack of Earthbound is disturbing. I'll keep the Wii for several reasons. I will play Brawl until the next Smash Bros. is released, I'll be getting Mega Man 9 on WiiWare, and I've got several other games to finish. Other than that, I replay titles to do challenge runs in games, so I'm not worried that it won't be used. It just seems that I may not buy many other games for it. The Gamecube was the same for me.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-07-15, 14:36

I actually liked what Nintendo announced today, but then I wasn't expecting anything. I'm looking forward to the two Star Wars titles,the new Wii Sports (1:1 sword fighting!) and the Tales of Symphonia sequel. That's plenty for me to look forward to.

It seems to me that all of the good titles for Xbox get released for PC eventually, so I can just get them for that without buying a new system. The four games that might have gotten me to consider a 360 are out for PC - Mass Effect, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, and the Orange Box. To top it off, at least 3/4 of those games play better on a PC anyway, so why buy an Xbox? I'm sure people have their reasons (people like other games), but for me, it would make no sense.

And the PS3 hasn't got 1 game I want to play, even if it and it's games were free (until the next FF comes out). I really want to like MGS, but I hate it for exactly the same reason that the Penny Arcade guys do: it's fun while you're sneaking around, but sucks once you're fighting. I enjoyed the story of MGS 3, but stopped playing it because the gameplay was so terrible.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-07-15, 14:53

Hmm... Resistance for PSP. A $199 bundle that's fairly compelling. The PSP may have just won E3 for me. I had a PSP back when it first came out, but I wasn't all that impressed with it. The slimmer design, TV out and vastly improved game lineup have me considering it again. Hmm...

[edit] Oh yeah, and 80 GB PS3 for $399, starting in September. No more backwards compatibility, though, it sounds like.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2008-07-15, 14:56

Killing backwards compatibility loses me. Way to go, Sony.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-07-15, 15:53

Sony dropped backwards compatibility on the PS3 a while ago...

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-07-15, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Sony dropped backwards compatibility on the PS3 a while ago...
The 80 GB still had it, at least for most games.

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-07-15, 16:23

Yeah but it's sofware and it sucks. I saw a couples of games and a bunch were lagging a bit.

Anyway the ps2 is like 100$. You can buy it if you really want it...

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."

InactionMan
Veteran Member

2008-07-15, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
...and he bites....

I watched all the videos this morning of *all* the games on *all* the consoles, and they are all pants.
Same old same old. *yawn* X infinity!

Frankly... If we can offload Final Fantasy onto the 360 n00bs then good riddance.
They make great cut scenes, and fantastic movies, but the games.. not so much.

To quote Kraetos 'Epic Fail'.

Other than that I am surprised at all the negative PS3 comments here.
I thought it was all over. Wii is irrelevant as it only gets bad ports of 360 or PS3 titles, or even worse Nintendo abortions.
And the 360 and PS3 have a roughly equal share of what's left to squabble over.
How is one the fastest selling consoles in history irrelevant? Irrelevant to what? They won this round, Microsoft (who's already trying to come up with Nintendo-esque casual strategy) and Sony have to wait until the next gen. Though Sony may be able to get a really good amount of life out of the PS3. Though I'll admit there are a good number of horseshit games for the Wii there's also a good stable of instant classics like Galaxy and Metroid Prime. I know (hope?) you were being facetious but to say the Wii only gets bad ports and Nin-bortions is a bit disingenuous.

Quote:
The funny thing is the PS3 is pretty much exactly where the PS2 was in it's lifetime relative to now.
No.

The PS3 is on pace with the Gamecube. The Wii is just ahead of the PS2 in sales to date. These are from Nintendo's latest financial statements:

Quote:
I could go on about the fact that half the supposed 360s out there are actually dead.
And MDollar are dropping prices whereas Sony couldn't give two hoots.
That my 360 is gathering dust as I am too disinterested to fix it *again*, and both my PS3s and my old PS2 are still going strong.. But that would be fanboi-ish, yeah?

In any case I am now working on the theory that if a game is worth playing it will come out on both consoles eventually.

When any company actually brings out a game that lives up to the hype, and is not a sequel, or a copy, or a f&*%king MMO or worse still 'Guitar Idiot' rip-off then wake me up.. Until then I am programming on my Mac each weekend to try and make a decent game, for those that still care...

EDIT - It has to be said that the 360 will become obsolete next year anyway. Rumor has it that in 2010 Sony will finally turn on the other 5 cores on the PS3 and that 1/5th of one of those cores will run a 360 emulator at native speeds.
I agree with your theory on both high-def consoles getting most games (except for shit like Halo of course), the market is split into Wii and Everyone Else. It's just good sense for developers to hedge their bets and release for both. The very fact that the Wii is underpowered compared to the PS3/360 is the only thing keeping those two in the game. If Nintendo had some extra magic sauce laying around that would've allowed to juice up the power of the Wii than other guys would be cooked right now.

What does worry me about Nintendo's E3 announcements is their now slavish devotion to casual gamers. Why aren't they paying Square boatloads to make a sequel to ChronoTrigger or Secret of Mana for the Wii? Why isn't Galaxy 2 announced? Where's the new non-casual IP?

I've always planned on getting a PS3 eventually but I was going to try to wait until FFXIII was out. Stupid Nintendo might make me pony up for one sooner than I had wanted.

Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-07-15, 19:10

+1 to InactionMan, though I'm not likely to get a PS3 anytime soon.

Koodari
Veteran Member

2008-07-15, 19:15

Quote:
And while the Sony fanboys are busy circle-jerking with Blu-rays, Microsoft wins once again by offering the Netflix player. So the question becomes, do I want to drive to Best Buy and spend $25 for a movie I'll watch once, or do I want to leave my lazy ass on my couch and get it with the Netflix subscription I'm already paying for?

Epic fail.
Reality check. Netflix only operates inside US. Everywhere else, which is to say most of the world, that feature does not exist. Neither has digital distribution for movies in general taken off yet. BD is the only widespread HD thing around. Especially considering current and projected BD player prices, people who want BD will save a *lot* if their console can play it, at least through 2009. Netflix and BD playback are not even remotely comparable in weight and importance to the market as a whole.

That's just how I see it, and it's not due to being a Sony or BD fan. When it comes to anything with DRM, I'm rabid. I don't even want to buy DVD's anymore if they are not region 0.