User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Trying to copy the home folder

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Trying to copy the home folder
Mr. X

2005-01-18, 16:14

I tried to copy my home folder to my backup HD (since I was informed it contains everything I need to backup...iTunes music, documents, etc.)...but when I dragged the home folder into the LACIE FW HD icon on the desktop, it tells me, "One or more items can't be copied".....what do I need to do?

****if possible, can someone change this thread title to "trying to copy the home folder..."********

Last edited by Mr. X : 2005-01-18 at 21:34. Reason: title was misleading
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-21, 12:49

I hate that "One or more items can't be copied" pop up. That pops up when there something in a folder that you can't move.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-21, 12:53

You may have to copy the individual folders. Documents, Music, etc. You should probably also move the Library folder so you don't lose things like Safari bookmarks and saved Mail messages.
miloco

2005-01-21, 13:16

The best way of copying whole folders is to download Carbon Copy Cloner

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

This will clone what ever you ask it to - exactly. So if you wish to clone just the Home folder it will do that and not come up with cannot copy prompts. In fact if you want to make a clone of your hard drive it is perfect as it copies all the hidden files.
Mr. X

2005-01-22, 00:00

Thanks for the link...but I figured it out. I had to erase the LaCie HD first. Now I'm able to copy the home folder without any problems.

Is the home folder all I need to copy for backup? Again, I'm interested in backing up iTunes music, documents, pictures, emails, etc.

oh yeah..thanks for changing the title for me...appreciate it...

Last edited by Mr. X : 2005-01-22 at 00:17.
peedrinker

2005-01-24, 23:12

I use Apple's own Backup program and it backs up my entire home folder easily and very reliably every time. It even does it automatically every night as long as my external HD is plugged in. I reccomend Carbon Copy Cloner if you are cloning your entire hard drive but I find that Apple Backup's UI is 100 times easier and more intuitive to work with for user folder backups.
coconut wireless

2005-11-27, 02:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X
Thanks for the link...but I figured it out. I had to erase the LaCie HD first. Now I'm able to copy the home folder without any problems.

Is the home folder all I need to copy for backup? Again, I'm interested in backing up iTunes music, documents, pictures, emails, etc.
oh yeah..thanks for changing the title for me...appreciate it...
Well while trying to find out something about exporting my bookmarks from Safari to Firefox or Netscape I ran across your posting. I have been putting off backing up to my new LaCie HD because I wasn't quite sure how to copy the e-mail folder and the bookmarks. However, I read your posting about having to erase your HD before you were able to copy the home folder without problems and then you were able to copy the whole folder. Why did you have to erase the HD first. So to copy I just turn the HD on and drag the folder to the icon and then burn it to the trash when finished? If I do that will it still leave the original folder in its original location? I hope you will still be checking this posting or get a notification because I could sure use some
input on this question.

surfin (the net) with Aloha
the coconut wireless
coconut wireless

2005-11-27, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
You may have to copy the individual folders. Documents, Music, etc. You should probably also move the Library folder so you don't lose things like Safari bookmarks and saved Mail messages.
I have an OCW external hardrive and wish to back up my files to it. I amcurrently on 10.2.8 OS X (jaguar) Besides wanting to copy the files as a backup - I am also wnating to install Tiger and want to make sure I don't lose any of my files. I want to go to the "Home" icon and drag the folder into the HD icon on the desktop but I notice that I have store some application files like my scanner installer, upgrade on I-Tunes, flash player, real one, yahoo msg,., etc. Because of a posting by Mr. X who said the following "but when I dragged the home folder into the LACIE FW HD icon on the desktop, it tells me, "One or more items can't be copied". I wonder if I would have the same problem because these are applications and not just word files or pictures?

so my question would I have to take the folders out that have the other files I
downloaded before copying?

I notice you replied and said that the Library should also be copied as not to lose e-mail or bookmarks and that is something I definitely want to copy.

mahalo for you time

surfin' (the net) with aloha
the coconut wireless
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-27, 23:34

Just go through the Library folder in your Home folder and move over the small number of folders that you actually need:

~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook
~/Library/Mail
~/Library/Safari

That's all you really need.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-11-27, 23:55

As long as you use OS X the way it's intended. That is, using your home folder for your stuff and not scattering it about in other folders (like the applications folder or the root of your drive).

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
coconut wireless

2005-11-27, 23:57

Quote:
Just go through the Library folder in your Home folder and move over the small number of folders that you actually need:

~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook
~/Library/Mail
~/Library/Safari

That's all you really need.
well, the thing is I want to copy all of my home folder at one time which has my desktop files, and other files that I want cooied but don't know if all of the files in the library (which is in the "Home" folder) will allow me to copy them.

the coconut wireless
coconut wireless

2005-11-28, 00:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
As long as you use OS X the way it's intended. That is, using your home folder for your stuff and not scattering it about in other folders (like the applications folder or the root of your drive).
well as I mentioned (I think) I was a "switcher" and when I first got my Mac it was a whole new learning curve so not sure how your posting is helpful.

but thanks for your time

the coconut wireless
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-28, 00:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconut wireless
well, the thing is I want to copy all of my home folder at one time which has my desktop files, and other files that I want cooied but don't know if all of the files in the library (which is in the "Home" folder) will allow me to copy them.
Yeah, you want to copy your entire home folder, but like you said, you can't because you can't copy the entire library folder.

So obviously your course of action should be to copy everything BUT the library folder. Then only copy over the things from the library folder that you need. There shouldn't be much; I listed three of the only things you'll need (and that's only assuming you use Address Book, Mail and Safari).
coconut wireless

2005-11-28, 00:48

Quote:
Yeah, you want to copy your entire home folder, but like you said, you can't because you can't copy the entire library folder.

So obviously your course of action should be to copy everything BUT the library folder. Then only copy over the things from the library folder that you need. There shouldn't be much; I listed three of the only things you'll need (and that's only assuming you use Address Book, Mail and Safari).
however that means I have to do them individually instead of the whole "Home" folder at one time OR could I put the library into a temporary folder while I copy the "Home" folder to the HD and then move it back and copy only the three items you mentioned?

the coconut wireless
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-11-28, 01:20

Quote:
well as I mentioned (I think) I was a "switcher" and when I first got my Mac it was a whole new learning curve so not sure how your posting is helpful.

but thanks for your time
Torifile is referring to the practice of some people who put their, say, applications not in the Applications folder, but elsewhere.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-28, 02:11

Quote:
however that means I have to do them individually instead of the whole "Home" folder at one time OR could I put the library into a temporary folder while I copy the "Home" folder to the HD and then move it back and copy only the three items you mentioned?
Could you PLEASE try to type in complete sentences? It's difficult and even a little painful trying to understand what you're saying.

As far as I can tell, all you're worried about is having to move the folders individually. Well, seriously, just select all the folders except your Library folder and drag them over. Then select the few folders from your Library folder that you need and drag those over. You do know how to select more than one thing at a time, don't you?
naashraf

Send a message via ICQ to naashraf Send a message via Skype™ to naashraf 
2005-11-28, 02:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedrinker
I use Apple's own Backup program and it backs up my entire home folder easily and very reliably every time. It even does it automatically every night as long as my external HD is plugged in. I reccomend Carbon Copy Cloner if you are cloning your entire hard drive but I find that Apple Backup's UI is 100 times easier and more intuitive to work with for user folder backups.
I never knew Apple have it's own backup program. What is it called?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-28, 02:52

"Backup"

naashraf

Send a message via ICQ to naashraf Send a message via Skype™ to naashraf 
2005-11-28, 03:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
"Backup"

I could not think of .Mac
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-11-28, 04:07

I don't use .Mac, but when I backup this is what I do...

1.) Logout.
2.) Login as root (Search for enabling the root account).
3.) Create an archive of my normal users home folder (/home/paul).
4.) Copy the archive to your backup media of choice.
5.) Logout.
6.) Login as normal user again.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-28, 04:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
2.) Login as root (Search for enabling the root account).
I strongly advise against this for inexperienced users.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-11-28, 05:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I strongly advise against this for inexperienced users.
What this lacks in subtlety, it makes up for in good sense!

Re backup software, for anyone with a dotmac subscription Apple's Backup 3 is indeed simply the most straightforward and useful around - much much better Backup 2 for those that used it in the past and hated it.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-11-28, 05:57

Perhaps Brad has a point!

I was thinking that there would be some permission issues with files being in use, however, this does not appear to be the case (I am currently backing up my home folder as I type and have not had any errors yet).

So here is revision 2 of my backup strategy...

1.) Delete anything you do not want. I am on my third backup command 'cos I keep spotting things I do not want! eg, EyeTV archive of all sorts of random crap (it's huge!) and/or your~/Library/caches folder.
2.) Quit all applications.
3.) Empty the trash!
4.) Open terminal and type the following commands...
Code:
cd /Users tar -zcvpsf backup_filename.tgz home_folder_name
so for me, with my home folder being /Users/paul it would be...
Code:
tar -zcvspf paul.tgz paul
I prefer to use the command line as it seems to be a lot faster than choosing the archive option from Finder

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
euain

2005-11-28, 06:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Code:
tar -zcvspf paul.tgz paul
Is OSX tar the gnu version or some Apple-rolled version? If it's gnu (and maybe otherwise) - you can probably set up some excludes using the -X command.

I am not sure if you can exclude a directory in this manner - but it would be easy to create a script to make a list of excluded files (see "man find").

Also - if you want to just create a copy of your directory rather than a monolithic archive - you can do something like:
Code:
tar cvf - <source> | (cd <destination> ; tar xvf -)
Euain
mattf

2005-11-28, 06:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by euain
Is OSX tar the gnu version or some Apple-rolled version? If it's gnu (and maybe otherwise) - you can probably set up some excludes using the -X command.
You can indeed use the -X switch. For instance, my backup script contains the following:
Code:
tar rvfX ~/backups/home.tar ~/scripts/exclude_files.txt ~/Documents/* >> ~/scripts/backup.log
This is because I have a 1.2GB VPC file in ~/Documents/Virtual\ PC\ List/ that I don't want to back up. The exclude_files.txt contains the lines:
Code:
# For some reason tar needs absolute paths here /Users/matt/Documents/Virtual PC List/*

Last edited by mattf : 2005-11-28 at 06:43. Reason: more than one line = lines