User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Smack Some Sense into Me (P&S vs SLR Cameras)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Smack Some Sense into Me (P&S vs SLR Cameras)
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-12-20, 11:48

So my current long-in-the-tooth camera, a Minolta A1 has fallen victim to the notorious Sony CCD sensor failure, or so I think it has. I have to send this thing in to confirm that this is the problem, and if it is, I can get it repaired for free. Seems straight-forward, right? Here is the problem with all that:

I don't like my camera.

It was my first foray into digital photography after being very VERY happy with an all-manual Nikon FG SLR for many years. I've gotten some good shots from it, and it works like an SLR, but I miss the surety of a true SLR with depth of field and a TTL viewfinder, even a good focus ring!

Also, sensor and camera quality have gotten much better of course since then. But can I afford to pay for a new SLR? How good is something like the Fuji F30 (which sounds like the best P&S out there right now -- especially for someone who prefers to shoot in available light) -- not good enough to someone spoiled by a true SLR, right?

Please smack some sense into me. I won't be satisfied with a P&S, will I? How much would a Nikon D40 piss me off as a "starter" DSLR? Hell, feel free to tell me to stick with the Minolta too. What would you do come December 26th?
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-12-20, 12:08

... even an ok slr is still better than a p&s... fuji's offering seems to be ok -- it has circumvented one of my major complaints about digip&s, the shutter lag, but it still takes almost two seconds to turn on... which is just not right.

if you start with the d40 and a quality lens or two you can always upgrade the body later and keep the lenses... there is a great deal more investment in a SLR than there is in a p&s... one is disposable and the other certainly isn;t...
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-12-20, 12:11

My dad just bought the Nikon D80 and that is a fantastic camera. I believe that any Nikon newish lenses that you have will work with that camera. If that is above the price you were hoping to pay the digital cannon rebel is supposed to be a good DSLR. If you don't mind me asking, what type of a price range are you thinking of anyways?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-12-20, 12:42

I have the Digital Rebel XT, but take my advice with a grain of salt, as it's my first foray into "serious" photography. That said, however, I do think it's a great camera. B&H Photo has it for about $500, body only.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-12-20, 12:58

I like the new Digital Rebel XTi. Not too horribly expensive, and really a great camera.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2006-12-20, 13:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
My dad just bought the Nikon D80 and that is a fantastic camera.
Ahhhhh I'm looking at his one. It seems so nice. I don't know if the difference between d70 and d80 worth the price... But if so and the d80 is in your price range, I would go for it !

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2006-12-20, 14:20

I have no idea what my price range is at this point. I'm going to get a new muffler for my car, make sure I don't get canned as soon as I get back in January (current project budget crisis), and think really, really hard about my next step. I have the classic quandary of missing out on stuff because I don't have a convenient camera, and being dissatisfied with anything less than true SLR quality with my pics.

Any new SLR system (the Nikon D50 would probably suffice as well as the Canon Rebel XTi -- I'm not *that* pro) would run me a lot more and would only be used on occasion.

What I'll do is see about getting my current camera fixed, and getting whatever I can on eBay or wherever -- which won't be much, then actually find a place -- besides Wolf/Ritz Camera -- where I can try these things out in hand.
åsen

2006-12-20, 14:57

Do you still have any of the lenses from your Nikon FG?
If yes, do you want to use them on a new DSLR?
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2006-12-20, 15:08

Nope, I sold them (for a good price) when I made the conversion to digital. I had an OK sigma zoom and a nice manual focus 50mm lens. I figured I wouldn't miss either, and I don't even with this decision coming up. Anyway, there's no legacy lens issue which would make the decision easier.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-12-20, 15:08

From what I understand, any Nikon glass will work on their DSLR cameras, even the manual focus lenses. If you have good glass you want to continue to use this should be your first consideration.

I've had the Canon Digital Rebel (1st version) since 2003 and it's a great camera for me. I've been able to do portraits, landscapes, even fireworks displays at ISO 1600 (although this high ISO causes noise). If I were in a camera upgrading mood I'd have no problems buying the Canon Rebel XTi.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-12-20, 15:12

Oh yeah, FWIW, Canon RAW is readable by iPhoto. I don't know if Nikon's is, and I've read of people complaining that you don't get decent Nikon RAW software unless you spend $100. All Canon's software is free. I haven't compared the software at all so I don't know the difference but wanted to post the software cost factor as well.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2006-12-20, 15:31

Nikon is known for their standard lens attachments, so even the oldest lenses will work on the newest cameras -- except the new D40 doesn't have an internal AF motor, so certain (popular) series' of AF lenses won't operate normally. They work, but only as manual focus lenses. That, along with storage medium are two big changes for the D40 to make it is compact and cheap as it is. I figure I might as well let people know what's up in case, like me, they think of doing a search for camera threads first.

Nikon RAW is supported in iPhoto, though people lay claim to various experiences with the quality of the imports. I don't know if Canon's camera software is any better than their scanner software -- which stinks mightily.

It occurred to me that while my current phone has an awful camera, the newer ones are going to take pics that are about as good as I expect or want for those little friendly gatherings and whatnot where I want the convenience of a small picture taker. I just can't justify even a couple hundred dollars on craptastic pics and frustrating P&S delays and controls. I'm thinking I'm looking for the SLR and will upgrade my phone next winter.

Dunno. I'll probably get to B&H over the holiday and change my mind at the last second like I always do.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-12-22, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
I'm thinking I'm looking for the SLR and will upgrade my phone next winter.
Not a bad idea. My brother just got a Nokia N73, which has a 3.2 MP camera with autofocus Carl Zeiss lens, mechanical shutter, and more manual control than some P&S cameras (you can adjust white balance, ISO, flash, etc.). The image quality is leagues beyond any other camera phone I've used. Here are a few examples I found on the web, although the photos from my brother's N73 have noticeably less compression artefacts (perhaps because he has the latest firmware).

http://blogit.hs.fi/teknologia/wp-co...testihattu.jpg

http://store.3g.co.uk/images/nokia-n73-sample-image.jpg

http://photonokia.free.fr/galeriefla...cro/N73_04.jpg

I was advising someone on a camera Christmas present last week so had to take a look at some cameras in the shops as well as online. The Canon 400D (Rebel XTi) is way overpriced. It's built like something you'd give your kid sister for her doll house: incredibly flimsy feeling even when compared to non-DSLRs half its price, never mind the Nikon/Pentax/Sony SLR competition. The D40 feels FAR better, despite being built like crap compared to real Nikons. The D40, D50 and Pentax K110D are about 200 dollars cheaper, despite their better quality. The 400D has a marginally better sensor but that advantage wouldn't be worth 200 dollars to me even if the build quality were equivalent. The hilarious thing is that the kit lens that comes with the 400D (and all low-end DSLRs) couldn't reliably resolve 4 MP much less 10 MP. Coke bottles everywhere would be ashamed to perform like these 18-55 mm zooms. The Canon 30D is a dramatically better camera for not an awful lot more. The 20D can also still be found new in a few places for very close to the price of a 400D.

Have fun in the SLR minefield!

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.