Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova Minecraft Deathmatch Arena
Page 3 of 4 Previous 1 2 [3] 4  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-05, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
If minecraft.net doesn't get its shit together no one will be able to log in to be there anyways.
This.

I guess if we can't reliably connect in the next half hour (I wouldn't bet on it), we'll have to postpone the game.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-05, 23:50

Ah.... Post server restart is not good....
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-06, 00:03

We're all here waiting for Kraetos to show. Chicken?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-06, 01:06

So, the first night at the arena was interesting! Two battles were waged. The contestants included Bryson, 709/Grey, and turtle. I won't spoil the results, but I am about to edit a short video together of the event and will post for you to see yourself.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-06, 02:24

Here's a better picture of the (now finished) arena. At night.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-06, 04:44

Yeesh... I forgot what a PITA it is trying to coerce Final Cut to work with anything that's not a native "DV" video format. Next time I guess I'll try iMovie. After smashing my head against the screen for a couple of hours, I managed to eek out the following two minutes of video.

http://vimeo.com/19620032

Vimeo says it's still processing, but it should be up in ~20 minutes.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-02-06, 08:17

Drat. Vimeo must be a Flash-only format. No worky on iPhone
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-02-06, 08:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Yeesh... I forgot what a PITA it is trying to coerce Final Cut to work with anything that's not a native "DV" video format. Next time I guess I'll try iMovie. After smashing my head against the screen for a couple of hours, I managed to eek out the following two minutes of video.

http://vimeo.com/19620032

Vimeo says it's still processing, but it should be up in ~20 minutes.
I love the audio track you used! It played great on my iPad too BTW.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-02-06, 08:37

Why would it play on the iPad and not the iPhone??
arteggio

2011-02-06, 10:32

Well Mr Fancy Pants, I hope that pygame app led to a perfectly placed floor considering I had just volunteered to the arrange it. I figure I have a good mind for setting out things strategically, so I thought I'd have a go at it, but I guess I experienced the dreaded end-of-page post location. WIll have to do it some other time, unless Arena management has a monopoly on floor set-up.

So, has the Wager been one? Did the matches last more than a few seconds, though? Maybe a certain degree of armor could be permitted for each player so that no one dies from being hand-punched while searching a chest (at least that's what it looked like in the video).

And in other news, I added doors to the Skyriser skyway link, Elysium. In a furnace downstairs I also found 4 ore and 5 ingots of iron. I took them, because I think I might have forgotten them there for the last month, but it's totally possible that someone else was smelting them and forgot them. Let me know if they're yours.

Anyone interested in playing around with the skyscraper I made? It's pretty bare and I don't care to do anything with it, so I thought about auctioning it off with a beginning bid of $0, or donating it to charity. Or setting the wood floors on fire and gutting most of it...
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-02-06, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
Anyone interested in playing around with the skyscraper I made? It's pretty bare and I don't care to do anything with it, so I thought about auctioning it off with a beginning bid of $0, or donating it to charity. Or setting the wood floors on fire and gutting most of it...
Ooooh. Let's wire it with TNT and have the first ever AN Minecraft building demolition.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-02-06, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Ooooh. Let's wire it with TNT and have the first ever AN Minecraft building demolition.
Brilliant! Too bad the blocks aren't affected by gravity.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-06, 14:26

Awesome. It looks like I have a ceremonial fart to celebrate my victory!

I agree that armour should probably be allowed otherwise it gets a bit crazy - I found a sword in my first chest, so it was game over for GC at that point. Maybe both contestants should have a wooden sword too, so they can at least defend themselves.

And you'll be glad to hear that I fixed those bloody doors.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-06, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Why would it play on the iPad and not the iPhone??
Vimeo has an HTML5 H.264 option on by default for browsing in desktop Safari. Try again now? Or see if there's a link to switch? In desktop Safari, there's a "Switch to Flash player"/"Switch to HTML5 player" link. Vimeo has generally been better than even YouTube WRT supporting HTML5.

edit: Huh. Playing HTML5 version, I now get an "Oops! Something broke" message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
Well Mr Fancy Pants, I hope that pygame app led to a perfectly placed floor considering I had just volunteered to the arrange it.
You snooze, you lose. You weren't online at the time; so, I jumped on it. You're welcome to set up for the next match!

Also, yes, it looks like I missed your post at the bottom of that page. Sorry about that!

arteggio

2011-02-06, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Though I would love to witness this myself, I was thinking of something a bit more constructive. I wanted to return in a week and see creativity spread among its levels. Or something poetic like that. (Ignore my whole burn-the-floors part. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
My wife and I could take over possession of it.
So, I declare Mr and Mrs Turtle the new sole proprietors of the skyscraper. Since there's a full size basement for 15 blocks down or so, a short dig off your current tunnel could get you right in there.

Quote:
You snooze, you lose.
Fair enough.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-06, 21:02

FWIW, if arteggio or anyone else wants to reset the arena after the next match, I've stocked some sand in the manager's office for if/when the TNT chews up the supply of sand up there.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-29, 22:43

My money is on arteggio. He has the best axes.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2019-07-30, 08:59

Good times. I miss that arena.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-30, 15:59

No joke: I was actually just thinking about this over the last weekend and was contemplating building a new arena in the current world for invitational death matches.

Maybe this is just the motivation I need to actually do it.

After I finish building all this other stuff.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-30, 16:21

See?

Seeeeeeee!?!

Boosting old threads can be fun!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-07-30, 17:47

Where to build such a thing? How about the middle of 709's amusement park? That would be fitting right?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-30, 17:51

What about the vacant lot in downtown where the Monument Tower used to be located (just west of the money building)? I donated that space to the community, and it might be large enough.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-07-30, 17:59

Oooo.... I like that too. Might be too small though.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-30, 18:24

It seems to me that it's something like 45x45 or there abouts.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-30, 21:24

For reference, the O.G. Bridgeport Arena:

That was pretty big for its time, but I think we need something much bigger now. The original Arena had chests hidden under the sand with weapons and armor, and of course its successor needs something like that as well. If it's bigger, I also imagine building American Gladiator-style obstacles for taking cover, running around, etc.

I have had some recent ideas for continued expansion of Bradtropolis into that entire swamp region to the east. Maybe Arena 2.0 would go out there? Or maybe on the north side of the canal instead? Keeping it far from civilization, farms, or mass storage areas (i.e. places with lots of item frames, chests, hoppers, and signs) to keep participant FPS/performance high should be a key factor in deciding the location.

Hmmm... Now that I'm typing out these thoughts, I wonder if an underground arena might work. It could have an ornate structure for an above-ground entrance, of course, but by digging down, it could sprawl out a far greater area without taking up precious surface land.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-07-30, 21:49

I actually though about under the water in CC. Nice view from above and it's otherwise wasted ground down there. Not sure how close that would get to builds down there though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2019-07-31, 07:07

I like north of the canal, but also like the idea of underwater - especially with a glass ceiling. Or maybe out by the hockey arena, making that the 'sporting' area.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-31, 10:16

Quote:
but by digging down, it could sprawl out a far greater area without taking up precious surface land.
You know, I know where there is a very large, in fact *titanic* pyramid-shaped hole in a location that is quite suitable!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-31, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I actually though about under the water in CC. Nice view from above and it's otherwise wasted ground down there. Not sure how close that would get to builds down there though.
CC is a nice central area, and I do also like the idea of a water ceiling, but there are still some troublesome performance spots around the cove. My best guess is it's from the hundreds of hoppers by the underground tree farm. It could go farther out into the ocean to the west, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Or maybe out by the hockey arena, making that the 'sporting' area.
An excellent idea! I think I'm really warming up to this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
You know, I know where there is a very large, in fact *titanic* pyramid-shaped hole in a location that is quite suitable!
Maybe. I wouldn't want to tarnish all your hard work, and besides I don't know if it's the right shape. That being said, if you want to take charge and start turning it into a battlefield, be my guest!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-31, 11:41

Let's put it to an informal poll. Sure, there won't be a ton of votes, but it's a start…

Preferred location for a new (future) underground arena?

1. North side of the eastern canal that leads to Bradtropolis and points towards 13topia.
2. West of Cashout Cove far in the middle of the ocean, past the Enterprise but before Arteggio castle.
3. Somewhere near the winter wonderland hockey rink.
4. Repurposing Tall Town's Luxor basement.