User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Does it make sense to wait to buy an iMac until Tiger?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Does it make sense to wait to buy an iMac until Tiger?
revolver

2004-10-17, 23:57

Just wondering-

With tiger coming out this year, what is Apple's policy towards OS upgrades on recently purchased computers?

I was thinking of buying an iMac 1Q '05, but I can wait. I mean, I can save $129, if I wait until Tiger, right? Or, does Apple have some kind of window for a free upgrade after a purchace?

Just wondering if anyone had experience buying an apple around or before an OS upgrade.
iDaver

2004-10-18, 00:16

This so-called window is never guaranteed. Sometimes, Apple will offer an upgrade disk for the cost of shipping and handling (usually $20) if you've bought a new Mac within a few weeks before the release of a new version of the OS. This prevents Mac sales from tanking when rumors of an OS release begin to fly. I've lucked out twice now being able to do that.

That said, personally I'd rather get the computer with the new OS already installed. Upgrading the OS on a brand new Mac kinda bugs me somehow. Sometimes you just can't wait though.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-10-18, 00:17

if you can wait, wait. it's always better to put off the purchase unless you need the computer now.

typically they offer OS upgrades for recently purchased machines, but i forgot the price.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-10-18, 09:15

Looks like Amazon put a release date for Tiger at March 31, 2005. Whether this is the final release date or not we'll have to see. I've heard that Amazon has been correct with unofficial release dates in the past.