Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Compatible Memory?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Compatible Memory?
metalkaren

2004-11-09, 14:30

PNY 512MB DIMM PC133 SDRAM Memory

Can anyone tell me if this memory is compatible with my ibook (12 inch, 800mhz, G3 to be exact). I am clueless about memory. Thanks.
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-11-09, 15:01

Regular DIMMs are too big - you need a SODIMM chip like this.

As an example, here is the RAM page for your machine at Crucial.
metalkaren

2004-11-09, 15:26

So as long as it says SODIMM it's ok? the pins and speeds don't matter?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2004-11-09, 15:39

If you are trying to purchase a memory upgrade for your iBook, just follow the "can't screw it up no matter what" links at www.crucial.com. Their memory is the best and WILL work on your Mac.

If you have a card that you're trying to get to work in an iBook, it will need to be SODIMM and will about three inches long. DIMM cards are about 5 inches long.

Try this: Open the iBook; if the card fits in the slot, put it in; turn on iBook; if iBook works and memory increases by 512MB, card is OK!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
metalkaren

2004-11-09, 15:41

I'm trying to buy a memory upgrade, but I need to buy off Amazon.com, where I have a promotional coupon. So that's why I keep asking about different brands.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-11-09, 15:49

Well, you have the form factor of the memory, the size, and the speed rating.

Form factor is either DIMM or SODIMM. You want SODIMM (small outline DIMM).
Size is 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, or 1 GB. 512 MB is the best bang for your buck right now.
Speed rating should generally be PC100, PC133, PC2100, PC2700, or PC3200. You can go with PC2700 or higher.

There are plenty of good brands, like Crucial, Corsair, Kingston, and Viking. Other brands like PNY, Transcend, Mushkin, and Kingmax should be just fine as well.

I'd recommend this. Corsair brand is just fine, I have two Corsair modules in my computer.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2004-11-09, 17:07

Careful of those generic brands. If you ever have to upgrade your ROM, generic RAM may be rendered senile!

I had that problem with a Blueberry iMac and some generic 256MB RAM cards. Upgrade ROM; ROM no not compatible with yucky RAM; puter no start-em! Many sad faces later, I upgraded (again) to Crucial and had no problems.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-11-10, 00:51

"Generic brand" isn't the same as "not Crucial." There are plenty of trusted brands of memory, and Corsair is one of them. Kingston and Viking also have excellent reputations. I'd be a little cautious of other brands, but as long as you stick to one of those four brands you shouldn't have any problems.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2004-11-10, 02:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I'd recommend this. Corsair brand is just fine, I have two Corsair modules in my computer.
Why are you recommending PC2700 DDR? I don't think the G3 iBooks will support it.

If you *have* to go with Amazon, I see these:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=electronics

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=electronics
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-11-10, 02:40

LOL, whoops. I figured it was a G4. Nevermind.
metalkaren

2004-11-10, 09:45

Thanks everyone. I think I will go with the crucial.

I know what you mean about generic memory. I bought my computer from a third party distributor, who gave me a free pre-installed upgrade of 256MB. About a year later my computer starting going on the fritz...on and off at first, then all the time - freezing up, kernal panicks, unexpectedly quitting apps - I even upgraded to 10.3 and even a new OS didn't solve the problem. After many calls to the applecare line and many long waits at the genius bar they still couldn't figure it out. They had me completely wipe out my harddrive and reinstall the OS and even that didn't work. When nobody could figure out what was wrong they finally sent it in for repairs and found that it was all due to a corrupt memory chip. So they took the chip out and now it works just fine, except I only have 128MB of ram left.

So that's my story...after a year a half of having a frustratingly faulty computer, I am thrilled to have one that works again, but now it's so slow I can barely even open iphoto.

Thanks again for the advice.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2004-11-11, 01:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
"Generic brand" isn't the same as "not Crucial." There are plenty of trusted brands of memory, and Corsair is one of them. Kingston and Viking also have excellent reputations. I'd be a little cautious of other brands, but as long as you stick to one of those four brands you shouldn't have any problems.
I agree with you. What I meant by generic is, really, generic. There are a half-trillion websites out there selling oddly named memory kits that are not up to snuff, even in the PC crowd. They are using the reject chips from the top manufacturers. I recommend Crucial because they guarantee that their Mac products will work, even with firmware upgrades.

tricki

2005-02-25, 07:12

Hey Luca...have u tried the Corsair memory on any powerbook yet? Does it have any incompatibility issues?...am think of adding a 1 Gb Corsair memory to my PB G4 1.5Ghz....thanks

QUOTE=Luca]Well, you have the form factor of the memory, the size, and the speed rating.

Form factor is either DIMM or SODIMM. You want SODIMM (small outline DIMM).
Size is 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, or 1 GB. 512 MB is the best bang for your buck right now.
Speed rating should generally be PC100, PC133, PC2100, PC2700, or PC3200. You can go with PC2700 or higher.

There are plenty of good brands, like Crucial, Corsair, Kingston, and Viking. Other brands like PNY, Transcend, Mushkin, and Kingmax should be just fine as well.

I'd recommend this. Corsair brand is just fine, I have two Corsair modules in my computer.[/quote]