User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

pBook v. iMac G5

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
pBook v. iMac G5
iBeard

2005-01-12, 01:46

I was waiting for the pBook update at MWSF that didn't happen, but it doesn't really matter because I still want to get a pbook in the next 2 weeks. The thing is, I realized that I can get a BTO 1.8Ghz 17" iMac G5 for about the same as the BTO 12" pBook I want. I really want a pBook because they are really hot looking, light and portable, but the iMac has alot more power behind it w/ that 1.8Ghz G5... I'm really torn; does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2005-01-12, 02:04

If you don't actually need portability than get the iMac. You'll be much happier with the performance. However I suppose this depends on what you want to do with your computer in the first place......

The future is tomorrow!
iBookNewbie

2005-01-12, 05:10

i hear they may be better bumps sometime soon on the quiet, so if you have already waited this long, why not a lttle longer??
iBeard

2005-01-12, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBookNewbie
i hear they may be better bumps sometime soon on the quiet, so if you have already waited this long, why not a lttle longer??
right, but those updates are supposedly only an increase to 1.5Ghz (G4), still a long shot from the 1.8Ghz G5...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-01-12, 10:23

If you don't need portability, a desktop is ALWAYS the best way to go. That's the deciding factor here. The iMac is a sweet machine, but I've got a 12" powerbook because I need a laptop.
iBeard

2005-01-12, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
If you don't need portability, a desktop is ALWAYS the best way to go. That's the deciding factor here. The iMac is a sweet machine, but I've got a 12" powerbook because I need a laptop.
right, I think I'm going w/ the iMac. I've dreamt about the powerbook, but realistically, I need the speed of the iMac. This computer is for the few video freelancing jobs i get, and hopefully the many more to come. I would get the pMac, but the screen w/ the iMac is the deal sealer, I need a big screen for video editing and w/ a pMac I'd have to use the shitty 17" CRT I have right now. So, iMac it is I guess.
PiP

2005-01-17, 11:28

Other than speed, what does a G5 offer over a G4? Specifically, is there any software that can be run on the G5 that will not work on the G4?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-01-17, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiP
Other than speed, what does a G5 offer over a G4? Specifically, is there any software that can be run on the G5 that will not work on the G4?
Not because of the difference between a G5 and G4. Any software that won't run on a G4 is likely because of speed issues. There aren't any titles that I can think of off hand that won't run on a new powerbook.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-01-17, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Hard to argue with that. I use a 12 inch Powerbook G4 which is excellent - so small and well designed. But I'd like a good iMac G5 too to supplement it. The iMac looks attractive because it has such a small footprint on the desk and looks better value than the Powermac G5.
Ed Rooney

2005-01-17, 21:58

Powerbook. I have yet to see someone use an iMac on their deck or in the sh*tter.

I sit an a desk in an office all day. I refuse to do the same at home.