User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

What did I do wrong? (DVD Copy)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What did I do wrong? (DVD Copy)
Delkan Cott

2005-02-02, 22:04

Today I was trying to backup a favorite DVD of mine (4.3 total Gb) and thought I was successful until the DVD appeared only to be data contents and no video.

First I used DVDBackup to process all the files into a folder called Video_TS; these files still remain on my harddrive. After this I went straight to Toast Titanium (because the file didn't need compression), and using the DVD option under others started recording. The process took a while, but was completed and did verify. Unfortunately I can't view the video with DVDPlayer.

For some reason I recall that I need to change the title from VIDEO_TS to something else, or perhaps add an Audio_TS?? I don't quite remember.

Anyhow, I was wondering if someone could tell me where I went wrong and how I can fix it for the next time.

Also, is there a *best* way to burn a dual sided disc (8.9Gb containing 3 movies) onto two or three DVDRs?

Thanks,
Dan (10.2.8 1GHz PB w/ SuperDrive)

EmPowered Book
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-02-02, 22:17

As far as I can undertsand from what you have done there is to indeed make a data backup of a DVD.

By extracting the files and making a folder like that, then burning it onto a DVD you have simply backed up the extracted files, there is no encoding on the DVD for the DVD player to use to access those files. It won't recognise it as a playable DVD.

You will be able to play those files individually using VLC or something on a Mac, but the DVD player won't recognise that as a DVD.

Can you not just do a straight copy using Toast, as it is the right size to fit on a single DVD? You said it needed no compression, so guess you mean it was less than a single sided DVD capacity?

I regularly back up DVDs using Toast, to .toast files on my harddrive.
I then use Toast to mount an image and copy it straight to a DVD....

Although I haven't tried to make a copy of a larger DVD it seems to me you have done Step 1, but missed Step 2 (re-authoring the DVD struture) and gone straight to Step 3 - Burining the DVD, thus you have just created a set of folders and files on the DVD, but not something a DVD player will recognise.

Actually, I did make a part copy of a big DVD once by extracting the files... Chucking them into iDVD and putting a new front end on and then burning that. It gave me a copy without previews and extras, but just the movie. I simply had to re-order the Video files so they would play in sequence...

It was fun, 'cos I customised the menus and look so I liked it more!!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
MacHead05-Inf

Send a message via AIM to MacHead05-Inf Send a message via Yahoo to MacHead05-Inf  
2005-02-02, 22:48

Here is how I go about making "BACKUP" copies of my DVD's.....

1. I rip them with MacRipper
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22715

2. Use Popcorn to burn to DVD...I exclude all languages except for Eng. of course...and Select dolby sound
Delkan Cott

2005-02-03, 15:43

Well, I did it again.

This time i used the same files I had already backed up to a VIDEO_TS folder. I put the selected folder in DVD2ONEx and processed them. Then I put those files, also in a VIDEO_TS folder, into Toast and burned the disc. Unfortunately I was left with the same bad result.

I have done this before using software on my computer and successfully backed up 4 or 5 movies, but now I can't seem to do anything right.

Am I still missing some giant step??

DVDBackup --> VIDEO_TS folder --> DVD2ONEx --> new VIDEO_TS folder --> Toast [Other (DVD)] = only data.

should I be using the Toast [Other (Disc Image)] option instead?

Simmering Frustrated,
Dan

EmPowered Book
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-03, 15:45

Ah, the problem is with Toast.

You should choose "DVD-ROM" in Toast's drawer.
Delkan Cott

2005-02-03, 16:03

I don't think my Toast 5.2 has that option; or I'm even more uniformed that I expected.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-02-03, 16:42

You need to do a few things.

First, you need to give the DVD itself a name. something like MOVIES etc.

The DVD name should be in all caps and contain no spaces.

Then add the VIDEO_TS folder to this named disc. After adding the VIDEO_TS folder, add a blank AUDIO_TS folder to the disc.

You should be left with two folders on the DVD, one VIDEO_TS, the other AUDIO_TS. burn with these settings and it should be fine. as for the "type" of burn, if you're using Toast, go to the "Other" menu. Under those menu options there's one labled "DVD".

Burn with that option. (as a side note, make sure to remove any .DS_Store files that might have found their way into your VIDEO_TS folder).

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Delkan Cott

2005-02-03, 16:54

That seems to be what I've been looking for. Thanks Master Shake.

Let you know the success in an hour.

edit: thank you master shake for your knowledge surpasses mine.

EmPowered Book

Last edited by Delkan Cott : 2005-02-03 at 18:24. Reason: woooohoooo
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-02-03, 17:18

Just for the record, AUDO_TS is not needed. That is, unless specifically created when you rip it.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-02-03, 18:41

i've backed up a lot of my DVD's. experience is an excellent teacher.