User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

PB now? PB later ?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PB now? PB later ?
Mac^3

2005-02-19, 05:50

I have a simple question...with "Tiger" coming out soon, would you buy the PB when that is released or would you wait until the next gen PB's are. I know there will always be the next best thing released "next Tuesday" but a 17" is $$$ and I want to get the most out of the purchase.
HHogan

Send a message via AIM to HHogan  
2005-02-19, 06:06

They were just updated, and with the thermal challenges the G5 poses, most people doubt a G5 update will come any time soon. Plus Tiger isn't due out for a few more months, so who knows what happens by then.

The best line is: If you can wait, wait. If you can't, then don't.
Mac^3

2005-02-19, 06:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHogan
They were just updated, and with the thermal challenges the G5 poses, most people doubt a G5 update will come any time soon. Plus Tiger isn't due out for a few more months, so who knows what happens by then.

The best line is: If you can wait, wait. If you can't, then don't.

I just know that as soon as I purchase, another version will show up and piss me off. I just want my PB NOW...
HHogan

2005-02-19, 06:29

They were just updated last week though, that usually means at least 4-6 months before another update.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-19, 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHogan
They were just updated last week though, that usually means at least 4-6 months before another update.
Try 8-12. When has Apple ever updated something in 4-6 months?
HHogan

2005-02-19, 10:39

Seemed like 4 months after I got my Dual 500 (ordered day of the keynote), Apple went to the Digital audio line
Mac^3

2005-02-19, 15:29

I will probably just pick one up when tiger rolls out. Thanks all.
brian4610

2005-02-19, 16:03

I've been in this same boat, although i need my PB by the end of april....the most common advice i've seen is buy when you need to...if you can wait for a year (my guess) for the G5, and continue to save your money (i have the think the G5 will be more then the current line) then i'd wait....

I'd like to get my PB now, but don't NEED it, plus i'm going to hold out as long as i can so i'm not paying for Tiger...

I'm happy with the current line (it will be my first mac purchase) and think, even if i buy a 15" G4 and max it out, and then "next tuesday" the G5's come out, i've still got a kick ass machine thats better the 99% of the laptops out there...

Plus, i think i'd rather have a perfect G4 then a first edition G5...thats just me...
brian4610

2005-02-19, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Try 8-12. When has Apple ever updated something in 4-6 months?
3rd generation ipod was released in April of '03, then in september they upped the Gigs from 10-15-30 to 20-40...not a huge upgrade, but similar to what we saw with the current line of PB's...

also, this summer, july the 4th generation came out, then in sep/oct. the ipod photo came out....