AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

March Madness '08

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
March Madness '08
Page 1 of 12 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-03-15, 14:55

I just created an AppleNova fantasy basketball tournament bracket thing. Join up if you're interested: http://tournament.fantasysports.yaho...t1/group/67146. The password is the same as the Baseball league, though if you need it PM me.

(If that link doesn't work, you can sign up at http://tournament.fantasysports.yaho...mb=931oYa28q7x using the league id, which is 67146.)

As for the actual tournament, anyone think FSU has a shot at getting in after their performance yesterday against UNC and every other bubble team loosing in the first round of their conference tournament?

I can always hold on to hope...

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter

Last edited by jdcfsu : 2008-03-16 at 14:20. Reason: Added league ID.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-03-15, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
I just created an AppleNova fantasy basketball tournament bracket thing. Join up if you're interested: http://tournament.fantasysports.yaho...t1/group/67146. The password is the same as the Baseball league, though if you need it PM me.

As for the actual tournament, anyone think FSU has a shot at getting in after their performance yesterday against UNC and every other bubble team losing in the first round of their conference tournament?

I can always hold on to hope...
T,FTFY

I'm down, I'll join today or tomorrow.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-03-15, 15:03

VT/UNC today: holy crap, that was a close one.

Psycho T is now officially the dorkiest man in basketball.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-03-15, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
VT/UNC today: holy crap, that was a close one.

Psycho T is now officially the dorkiest man in basketball.
Yeah, well his post-game-wining shot antics were pretty funny... but he also proved that he's the player of the year for sure.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-03-15, 15:45

Yeah, how about that "I ain't doin' nuthin', don't mind me..." saunter at the beginning of that last play, and then *zip* in for the rebound. Nice.

He's like the illegitimate child of Michael Jordan and Barney Fife.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-03-16, 11:00

Selection Sunday! Jump in the bracket pool!

Anyone pulling for Georgia to play their way into the tournament today? They're 4-12 in the SEC and have a shot to take the automatic SEC bid. That's awesome.

Website | Twitter
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2008-03-16, 12:04

Hook 'em Horns!!!

Going for a 1 seed!! Beat the hell out of Kansas (again)!
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-03-16, 12:32

Quote:
He's like the illegitimate child of Michael Jordan and Barney Fife.
Amber burst into the apartment when she got home from work with 3 minutes left in the game. I didn't have the TV on the game, a mortal sin. She turned it on and we both (I'm not the basketball fan, mind you, nor the rabid Carolina fan that she is) screamed when he hit that fade-away. And yes, we had a good laugh as his dance afterwards. We went over to her parents' place to "watch Duke lose" and her Dad kept coming into the living room doing the Psycho T Trot.

I can't believe I'm marrying into this. I'm passing on the analogy though.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-03-16, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
Amber burst into the apartment when she got home from work with 3 minutes left in the game. I didn't have the TV on the game, a mortal sin. She turned it on and we both (I'm not the basketball fan, mind you, nor the rabid Carolina fan that she is) screamed when he hit that fade-away. And yes, we had a good laugh as his dance afterwards. We went over to her parents' place to "watch Duke lose" and her Dad kept coming into the living room doing the Psycho T Trot.

I can't believe I'm marrying into this. I'm passing on the analogy though.
Oh dear god, I'm right there with ya man. My wife is laughing her ass off at this, btw, and saying "Tell him it doesn't go away."

When it's ACC basketball, *she's* on the couch, and *I'm* bringing beer and pretzels.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2008-03-16, 14:06

clemson is choking away another chance to beat UNC... fuck. duke should be there. plus ESPN's broadcast is blacked out here so I have to listen to the retarded raycom sports commentators.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-03-16, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKrzyzewski View Post
clemson is choking away another chance to beat UNC... fuck. duke should be there. plus ESPN's broadcast is blacked out here so I have to listen to the retarded raycom sports commentators.
The beauty of living in ACC market... having to deal with Raycom Sports and Jefferson Pilot broadcasts.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-03-16, 14:19

The first link is no good. Here: http://tournament.fantasysports.yaho...mb=931oYa28q7x

Put in the group ID (67146) and the password to join.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-03-16, 14:30

Quote:
clemson is choking away another chance to beat UNC... fuck. duke should be there.
I was hoping for another matchup, to be honest. Would have been a sweeter way to win the conf title.

Quote:
plus ESPN's broadcast is blacked out here so I have to listen to the retarded raycom sports commentators.
That is so damned stupid.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2008-03-16, 14:33

Actually, Duke is overrated. They live and die by the Three and have almost no inside presence. Clemson matches up really well against UNC: strong, big inside game and some nimble guards on the outside, strong D. Clemson has given UNC fits twice before. In this game, UNC pulled away a bit in the second half, but not without a lot of foul trouble and times when they were frustrated and stagnant. Now that Roy Williams has finally (geez) figured out how to deal with Duke's screens for outside shots, Duke isn't much of a threat. I think given the talent in the Tourney and that effective strategy, I can't see Duke getting past the round of 16. Frankly, given how UNC, despite their immense talent and all-around game, seems to keep things a little too close and even let themselves fall behind in a lot of games, I doubt they can win it all either. Clemson has a chance I think to go pretty far too. I think they're underrated. Rankings seem to be based on repute and hearsay as much as performance, and Clemson just doesn't have the same repute as the UNC and Duke programs.

Re: Raycom Sports -- at least it wasn't Billy Packer. On the other hand, thank GOD it wasn't Dick Vitale either!
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2008-03-16, 14:41

Quote:
When it's ACC basketball, *she's* on the couch, and *I'm* bringing beer and pretzels.
At least yours in on the couch. My better half is in front of the couch, 3 feet from the TV, either on her knees with her hands extended like she's going to choke the idiot box, jumping up and down in that spot, or pacing around and screaming. If she's at my place and there are Duke fans all around, she's extra loud. Same at the bars. She actually seeks out confrontations with Duke fans.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-03-16, 15:43

Quote:
Re: Raycom Sports -- at least it wasn't Billy Packer. On the other hand, thank GOD it wasn't Dick Vitale either!
I'm surprised to hear that you don't like them, as they both clearly believe that college basketball revolves around the ACC...

In all seriousness.... I believe that one of the levels of Purgatory for college basketball fans is to repeat first-round NCAA days over and over with all games called by these two together.

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2008-03-16, 16:18

I'm not the ACC, nor even the basketball fanatic, hence, my disdain for them.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2008-03-16, 16:22

My Longhorns choked in the end. Oh well, a no. 2 seed might be better for us anyways.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-03-16, 16:37

Looks like Georgia's managed to make the GA Dome tornado the second biggest story of the SEC tourney.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-03-16, 17:08

Quote:
At least yours in on the couch. My better half is in front of the couch, 3 feet from the TV, either on her knees with her hands extended like she's going to choke the idiot box, jumping up and down in that spot, or pacing around and screaming. If she's at my place and there are Duke fans all around, she's extra loud. Same at the bars. She actually seeks out confrontations with Duke fans.
ROTFL Oh my GOD exactly! She can *NOT* keep seated for the last 10 minutes of a game. Can. Not. She's up, she's pacing, she's jumping around... and I'm sitting there laughing.

If we were still in the area, I'd say we four should get together for games - they could scream their heads off, we could go geek out.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2008-03-16, 17:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirnick4 View Post
My Longhorns choked in the end. Oh well, a no. 2 seed might be better for us anyways.
yeah playing in houston will help them out a LOT so they definitely got a good deal there. As long as UT is playing solid they can beat anyone in that tournament so it'll be interesting to see how far they can go.

and the ACC is the best conference (defined by overall talent top-to-bottom).

and wow Dickie V. looks old. HD is not his friend
zsummers
Avast!

2008-03-16, 18:28

Quote:
and wow Dickie V. looks old. HD is not his friend
I believe he just had some form of throat surgery, so that's probably not helping things out much. You haven't seen scary 'til you've seen Gene Keady in HD.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2008-03-16, 19:31

Oh, the hair.

Kick: Yeah, last 10 minutes. Absolute fury. Rule 1 of dating fans of ACC teams: stay the fuck out of their way and don't say the *slightest* thing that *might* be construed as negative about their team. Our only 2 huge blow-up, drag-out arguments were the results of the following comments made by me on separate occasions:

1. "People really seem to really hate each other with this whole basketball rivalry around here. Just seems silly to me how far it goes."

My choice of the word "silly" did me in, bigtime. Huge fight where she pulled out every weapon and put-down from left field. I mean, she came at me with accusations about having a wandering eye... everything.

2. "Carolina is playing sloppy ball right now."

That was during their loss to Duke earlier in the season. She almost left me. Seriously. She packed her stuff, leashed her dog, went to her car and sat in it for 10 minutes before calling me to see if I was sorry enough. But she waited until after the game ended of course.

For the record, I still think this kind of thing is silly if not slightly psychotic. But if that's her one serious fault, I can deal with it. It's easy enough to avoid. For the record also, she will never turn me into that Carolina fanatic she wants me to be. And yes, we have had the discussion about our potential offspring. I put down my foot on the whole pushing-the-child-to-attend-UNC thing. Her parents did that with her, and I think she realizes that it was part of her problem dealing with the stress of college.
¡Damned!

2008-03-16, 19:48

Erm, I mean

Ho.Lee.Shit.

Slightly psychotic? I honestly had no idea some people felt that strongly about basketball, of all things.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-03-16, 20:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
Looks like Georgia's managed to make the GA Dome tornado the second biggest story of the SEC tourney.
Stole a ticket to the dance. I'm not sure they'll make it out of the first round, but they way they are currently playing, they might be a good pick for an upset.

Quote:
I'm not the ACC, nor even the basketball fanatic, hence, my disdain for them.
You live in Durham and aren't a ACC basketball fan.... you might be the only one.

Website | Twitter
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-03-16, 20:40

Quote:
Kick: Yeah, last 10 minutes. Absolute fury. Rule 1 of dating fans of ACC teams: stay the fuck out of their way and don't say the *slightest* thing that *might* be construed as negative about their team.
Wow. Er... jeez, that's extreme even for UNC fans...

I consider myself lucky to have survived my first week at UNC, when I remarked that Dean Smith looked like a cross between Ed McMahon and a proboscis monkey.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2008-03-16, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirnick4 View Post
I'm not really sure you guys choked, it was more like Kansas just couldn't miss anything at the end. Either way it was a great game (coming from a K-State fan), I'm not sure how we managed to beat both Texas and KU once upon a time.

---

So is Beasley the player of the year?
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2008-03-16, 20:51

Back in the Eighties, Keady was my favorite coach. His teams always seemed to play the way he looked and carried himself.
They weren't pretty but they were good and tough, when they got done playing the other side knew they were in a scrape.

Matchup I'm most grateful for the NCAA online live games service. Kansas State vs. USC. Beasley vs. Mayo.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-03-16, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
So is Beasley the player of the year?
It's going to be a tough call between Beasley and Psycho T. It could really go either way, but I think it'll go to Hansbrough because he's got a bit more exposure and is a junior. We'll see though.

Website | Twitter
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2008-03-16, 22:05

Beasley will be the #1 pick in the draft, no question, unless he wants to stay in school and play another year for a mediocre program.