MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance
Page 12 of 21 First Previous 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-08-17, 21:19

I finally got power back. Just after 2200 it was restored. VM just powered back up so you should be able to check on your starving avatar now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-06, 14:03

I just got a brand new Evo 860 1TB in today. This is going into the ESXi host that runs our world's VM. I'm not sure exactly when I'll be taking the system down to install and migrate to VMs to the new drive but I wanted to give an early notice. It will likely be this weekend though possibly tomorrow during my work day.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-07, 19:06

Server is going down now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-07, 20:18

It is back alive again. It is still on the aging Intel G2 for now, so I'm going to have to shutdown the VM again at some point to migrate it to the new datastore. I just didn't want to keep at this all night since I had a late start.

While I had the ESXi host down putting the new drive in I also updated the BIOS to power on after AC restore. This means it will automatically boot up after we lose power.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-08, 10:25

It is taking forever to move servers within the ESXi host. I'm guessing there is some massive error checking that ESXi uses and it makes migrating take hours for a 5GB file load. Our MC server is something closer to 60GB now.

My plan is to start the move of the server tomorrow night/late evening. Of course the server will be down during the time of the move. Then hopefully it will finish overnight and first thing Monday morning I'll be able to get it started again on the new SSD.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-08, 21:07

Ok, I looked through the logs and no one is playing on the weekends right now. Most of the play actually happens during the work day. Given this and how long some of these machines have taken to migrate datastore I'm going to bring the MC server down now and start the migration. It should be up later tomorrow.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-09, 13:08

The migration is taking longer than I expected because I also started migrating the MapGen server as well. The files have actually moved for the ANMC world but the system is bogged down so much right now that I can't register the VM and start it again. The MapGen VM is only 28% done. I'll update once it's done and ANMC is back online.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-10, 07:25

The MapGen VM is only 90% done and I've not been able to get the ANMC VM registered yet. Still going...
¡Damned!

2018-09-10, 12:11

I don't quite know what you're doing, but thanks for doing it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-10, 14:13

It's back up BTW. I completely forgot to post that this morning when I got it going again.

Glad to help! I hope it is stable on the new SSD. I haven't been able to play yet.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-12, 09:14

As most I'm sure are aware there is a big storm heading my way. I think Brad will be hit harder by it than I will, but it is expected to flood this place out. I'm expected to be fine, just limited travel around here.

The relevance is that I'll be bringing the server offline if we lose power immediately. I will need to conserve my battery backups and sadly the MC server just isn't a priority. It isn't expected to impact here until tomorrow early morning last I saw so we will see how that goes.

¡Damned!

2018-09-12, 11:54

Kind've expected to have some server downtime with Flo on the move. Stay safe out there!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-09-12, 14:02

MC is not as important as Turtle security, so do what you must to take care of you and the family.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-12, 14:05

Thanks guys. It looks like I'm in even better shape now. Forecast track has it heading south. All we will likely get is some patchy storms and normal windy weather (as opposed to tropical speeds). We shall see! I have a small generator ready to keep my freezers and refrigerators cold!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-09-12, 14:22

Maybe we could download one of those mods for CC and have us a hurricane in the harbor!

¡Damned!

2018-12-11, 19:55

I don't know if this is a server thing or not, but for the past month or so there have been times that the motion just stops every few seconds. Like, swimmers, baddies, stars, whatever. They just freeze for a bit, then carry on. Jittering over and over. It affects flying too, which is the most annoying of all.

Any insight on this? It's weird.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-11, 21:27

I know what you're talking about. My best guess is something funky on T's local network causing some kind of IO or network bottleneck/pileup/congestion. Sometimes it's so bad it makes it unplayable for me, but other times it's smooth as silk. I've never been able to pin down a reason… the server VM itself always seems to be OK (when looking at things over SSH).

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-12-11, 22:06

This is likely my FiOs being buggy. I've called it in a few times and got a new ONT and such. They haven't fully fixed it though. Basically my connection just drops and then comes back. So much for fiber being heaven on Earth.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-12, 19:26

Stopping the server for a few minutes to replace some biome data!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-12, 19:35

And we're back, hopefully with everything actually working.

If anyone wants to watch the conversion process (thrilling, I assure you!), I captured it here:

https://asciinema.org/a/216667

(The fun part starts around the 20-second mark.)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
arteggio

2018-12-12, 20:34

A photo of the brand new snowfall as it was happening. Fun to watch.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-12-12, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

https://asciinema.org/a/216667

(The fun part starts around the 20-second mark.)
I'm most excited about learning that "asciinema" exists! I'm sure I'm one of the few that would be excited about it, but I am!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-12, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I'm most excited about learning that "asciinema" exists! I'm sure I'm one of the few that would be excited about it, but I am!
You know… I captured that recording just for you, thinking you might react this way.

asciinema is a small open-source Python tool I learned about from another developer I worked with two jobs ago, and I've been using it to capture demos or general command-line stuff I want to show someone else ever since. It's great! You can simply "pip install" it since it's pure Python, but it's probably also available in other native package formats depending on your distro. The website is all free, but the web-based player is also open-source for those who have tighter privacy needs.

asciinema does a really good job of capturing everything text-related in your terminal, and that includes things like cursor handling, colors, and even extended characters like emoji. Here's a slightly more interesting recording I did to demo something at work that includes some of those: https://asciinema.org/a/204598

edit: OH and I almost forgot the best part. Pause playback at any time, and you can actually select the text! These recordings are fantastic as a teaching/learning tool since you can give it to someone and say "copy the command I ran at X seconds" and they can actually do that.

#NotSponsored #NotAnAd #JustPreachingTheGoodWord

The only thing that sucks about asciinema is its name. How would you think it's pronounced? As long as you aren't saying "ass-key-enema" or "ask-enema", you're doing well. It's clearly such a common problem that the pronunciation is even right there on their homepage before the fold.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-12-13, 04:28

I didn't actually look at their front page just how to install it. I was wondering how they thought it would be pronounced. I'm doing it all wrong.

The only concern I would have it if a password had to be typed in. I'm certainly interested in this and will share it with my co-workers though...at least the CLI using ones. Most are stuck in a GUI world.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-13, 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
The only concern I would have it if a password had to be typed in.
Good news! It doesn't capture keystrokes. It only captures the terminal output.

asciinema acts like a thin middle-man between you and the actual shell, kind of like screen or tmux. So, technically the program sees everything you type during runtime because it has to pass everything through to the shell, but none of that is captured in the output. You can verify this by telling it to save to disk instead of uploading to asciinema.org, and then you can look at the output yourself, which is a surprisingly simple and pretty self-explanatory format once you see it.

Here's a sample capture of:
Code:
bradsmith@Novus: ~ » echo "hello world" hello world bradsmith@Novus: ~ » sudo echo "secrets!" Password: secrets!
Hopefully it didn't show you my actual password when I used sudo.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-12-20, 16:46

Hey Brad, I just did a yum upgrade on the MC server. I've not bounced it since it isn't required though. I'm saying it here in case you restart for some reason and the game server doesn't start you'll have a starting point for troubleshooting. I had originally configured java to survive this kind of update but don't know if you changed something.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-12-22, 19:00

Sorry if you were on today and had connectivity issues with the server. I'm trying to work out getting my router configured to block most non-North American traffic since outside traffic to my home is almost always hacking attempts. Anyway, in the process I locked myself out, limited traffic too much etc. Currently it's wide open again but I'm going to end up working on it again in the near future.

If you are outside of North America and the UK you might need to let me know what GeoIP location you call under for access.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-23, 14:42

Thanks for the heads-up, T!

Sorry I missed your earlier post about the yum updates, but clearly it didn't have any negative side effects.
¡Damned!

2019-01-14, 20:04

Hey T, would you mind doing a restart on the server whenever you get a chance? Lotso lag happening atm – maybe a restart will flush the weirdness.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-01-14, 23:03

Done. I also logged in and made sure all was well. Stats on the server looked good so I'm not really sure what you were seeing since I wasn't home during that time to look.