User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

2021 MacBook Pros

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
2021 MacBook Pros
Page 6 of 6 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6]  Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-11-08, 10:41

From what I've seen, there seem to be two distinct things going on:
  • a memory leak in Control Center. I've definitely seen screenshots of this, and I suspect it's related to something new to those models? Perhaps some bug with Display or Keyboard Brightness that only affects their specific sensors?
  • a memory leak somewhere in Safari. I suspect this has nothing to do with Monterey or these new Macs and someone merely thought it was something new.

Not great to buy a $2000-5000 laptop and have a memory leak like that, but I imagine they'll have a fix out soon.
psmith2.0
Mr. Farmiga

2021-11-08, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Not great to buy a $2000-5000 laptop and have a memory leak like that, but I imagine they'll have a fix out soon.
Exactly. That's what I was going to say to Drew's original post last night. I'd be really bummed if, after the $2,499+ I dropped for a snazzed-out 14" MacBook Pro, to be constantly rebooting it or otherwise screwing around with it.

"Hey, Tim...get your skinny ass on the phone!"

I don't deal with a single issue on this coal-powered 2013 MacBook Pro and when the day comes that I finally let myself lay down ~$1,499 for a modern AS-based Mac - and it starts to show its ass, right out of the box - I'm gonna be beyond crestfallen.

It's part of the reason I stick with the ancient Mac and iPhone I do...Everything Just Works™. It ain't the fastest, but it's stable/reliable as can be; and I'm reluctant to go rocking that boat just yet, if I don't absolutely have to. The "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is strong with me.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2021-11-09, 00:41

Can't speak to the memory leaks yet. But I can say that Affinity Designer runs like a peach. (Not that I'm nearly as advanced a user as yourself 'scates.)

The keyboard is superb. Its just amazing compared to the now relegated butterfly switch board. And this is coming from a huge fan of that board's click.

This thing just has so much snappy it's very satisfying to use overall. Notch is not a problem, yet. We'll see as more icons accumulate in the menu bar. I do feel like the HDMI and SD card are a bit of a regression, unfortunately.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
psmith2.0
Mr. Farmiga

2021-11-09, 11:56

A combination of strong sales and shortages, I guess?

Not all models affected, but those going for some of the more tricked-out versions (M1 Max, lots of RAM, etc.) may be looking at wait times into early January.

I guess everyone kinda expected this.

No telling what 2022 holds on the redesigned Air, larger iMac and Mac Pro (in addition to any Mac mini updates or rumored “pro” model) fronts. But I’m betting every original plan they had has been shuffled/tweaked a bit at this point.

They might not make their two-year transition plan, if the clock started ticking at WWDC 2020 when they announced all this. However, they could always consider November 2020 the true start of the transition, giving them a nice 5-month buffer, until November 2022, if they wanted.

But I don’t think anyone is truly going to squawk at this point. It isn’t Apple’s fault. And they also know the performance goodness that will arrive when things finally shake out.