Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Playing .USF on Mac OS X

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Playing .USF on Mac OS X
Wrao
Yarp

2007-02-28, 04:22

I recently discovered that there exists a file format for Nintendo 64 music emulation. Akin to .spc for Super nintendo, which Audio Overload plays wonderfully.

Unfortunately, there only seems to exist one player in the whole world that plays .usf format, and it appears to be windows only. By extension, it is a winamp plugin of all things.

For one, I am very surprised *no one* in the mac video game music dork community has risen to the occasion to code a .usf player. But also, I am astounded that there exists very miniscule support on windows and linux even. Perhaps it is an exceptionally difficult format to code for, but it only takes one application to kinda sorta work to get people into it. There are sites with hundreds of .usf files available for download. You'd think that with that kind of availability, there would be more players.

But, unfortunately, there is not. The source code for the winamp plugin is readily available. Would having that help someone to create a mac port? or otherwise make a player for OS X?

If anyone has any information about playing .usf files in OS X, I would very much like to know. Is this thread against the rules? I'm not sure of the legality of video game music emulation...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-02-28, 04:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
The source code for the winamp plugin is readily available. Would having that help someone to create a mac port? or otherwise make a player for OS X?
What license?

Quote:
If anyone has any information about playing .usf files in OS X, I would very much like to know. Is this thread against the rules? I'm not sure of the legality of video game music emulation...
Reverse engineering of a format while not breaking a copy protection-akin encryption is generally not illegal. Leveraging such a decoder for emulation is another matter, but that's up to the individual users, not the developer.

Hmm, I had a brief look at the source code from http://hcs64.com/usf/. Can't find a license.

Last edited by chucker : 2007-02-28 at 04:31. Reason: Posts merged
Wrao
Yarp

2007-02-28, 04:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Hmm, I had a brief look at the source code from http://hcs64.com/usf/. Can't find a license.
Yeah, the only thing I could find relating to usage was that it is an extension of the Project64 open source, and it is free to use for non-commercial purposes. Or were you referring to a different type of license?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-02-28, 04:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Yeah, the only thing I could find relating to usage was that it is an extension of the Project64 open source, and it is free to use for non-commercial purposes. Or were you referring to a different type of license?
Well, just wondering how it fits into the open source scheme of things. Most importantly, whether it is copyleft/share-alike or not.