AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: AppleNova Minecraft Deathmatch Arena

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova Minecraft Deathmatch Arena
Page 2 of 4 Previous 1 [2] 3 4  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-03, 20:46

FWIW, here's what 20 TNT and 11 chests will look like, roughly, using one seed from my new randomizing plotter:

Red blocks are TNT. White blocks are chests.

Do you think that's too many of either? Not enough?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-03, 20:59

I think it's a bit heavily weighted towards one end. Can we fix that?

But hang on - you aren't going to bury the blocks entirely? ie: so you can't even tell where there is or isn't a block? I thought the idea was to keep it 1 layer deep but put an extra block above each one (so the floor isn't completely smooth). Otherwise we may be a while.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-02-03, 21:00

I think we should bury lava, so that is a person is digging straight down by accident they might fall in... muahahahah
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-03, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I think it's a bit heavily weighted towards one end. Can we fix that?
It's truly random. Well, as "random" as computers can get. That seed just happened to be weighted to one end. Here are a few others:

My algorithm seeks only to be random, not attempting for any sort of even distribution.

I see what you mean about the blocks being buried. So, the idea is to dig once, plant, and set a block of sand immediately over top of the goods?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-03, 21:10

That was my thought yes.

I think iterating the random generator a few times until you get one that looks kind of even would be a good idea. The second and fourth one in your examples look ok. I just don't want anyone to feel like the "deck was stacked against them".
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-03, 21:43

I'm having too much fun figuring out the pygame framework! I got images working! As this rate, I might not lay a single block tonight, but at least I'll have a good plan for tomorrow night.

I do see your point. I'll likely run a few cycles, pick an even distribution, and adjust it as I see fit.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-02-03, 21:47

What about 1-ups?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-03, 21:50

Now that's an idea. A chest or two with a golden apple, perhaps? A golden apple refills your whole life meter.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-02-03, 22:09

This is going to be awesome!
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-02-03, 23:01

I was thinking we would place the blocks above ground and place the sand around them, so it would make the arena somewhat maze-like with blocks stacked 2 or 3 high.

It would also mean you would pick up sand while playing, which could be used creatively...

Also, food in chests? Just a thought. Or a golden apple.

And definitely cake in the middle. On a gold block.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-02-03, 23:42

I like the flat surface idea -- two deep sand.

It just makes more sense... Also: tnt is going to be found to be a bad idea as setting off one will cascade the entirety of the rest (or most).
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-02-04, 00:46

Who's making odds on this and who's your escrow agent?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-02-04, 01:17

American Gladiators?
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-02-04, 03:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

I do see your point. I'll likely run a few cycles, pick an even distribution, and adjust it as I see fit.
I don't know the pygame modules, but wouldn't it possible to force the distribution to become more even at every generation, by eliminating a certain region of the map surrounding already placed items from contention for the placement of the next item?
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-02-04, 15:06

So we bury the items?

That makes the items a lot harder to find, and it makes it much easier to find your opponent. Which means there would be less item use. We should try it both ways.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-04, 16:45

I see the point about TNT: maybe we should make it 11 of each to reduce the likelyhood of chain reaction?

I wonder if a bucket of water would be a good idea as a countermeasure to the bucket of lava?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-04, 19:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
I don't know the pygame modules, but wouldn't it possible to force the distribution to become more even at every generation, by eliminating a certain region of the map surrounding already placed items from contention for the placement of the next item?
I'm just using pygame for drawing. The distribution is literally just picking random coordinates and making sure there's not already something assigned to them.

That said, I tweaked the code to enforce a clear radius around each item to try to get a more even distribution. Here's a sample run with the reduced TNT count of 10 plus a water bucket.

edit: removed

Does that sort of arrangement look more fair?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-04, 19:50

Whoops! Forgot the golden apple. Here's another...

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-04, 20:02

Looks good. The spacing means that a TNT chain reaction is less likely.

How about a compromise: if we make the floor 2 deep so it's level, but cover over the items with gravel (as Kraetos originally suggested) so the locations are visible.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-04, 20:06

Sounds good! I'll start laying the second level of sand.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-02-04, 22:36

More TNT!

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-04, 23:25

Chain reaction danger! What's the blast radius in air of TNT?

Shame: I would have made the floor deeper, but now it would require rebuilding the whole arena - and with it being obsidian that would be a real grind.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-05, 12:19

Quote:
Chain reaction danger! What's the blast radius in air of TNT?
It depends on the resistance of the materials in its path. In open air, the blast can knock out a torch 7 blocks away. In stone, it can only tear through one layer. I'm not sure about sand; I'll have to test that.

It seems likely the glass around the arena floor will get blown out by some of the explosions, at least.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-02-05, 17:12

I'll be online for a while if anyone wants to have the inaugural deathmatch.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-05, 18:19

The arena field has been planted! I tried for an distribution. Some items will inevitably be slightly lopsided since, for example, there's only one golden apple, but the TNT and other items are generally even.

Who is up for the inaugural deathmatch other than Kraetos? I'm disqualified since I know where the items are, but everyone else should be game. Shall we kick off the game at, say, midnight ET tonight?

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-02-05, 18:38

Those 8 spots on the server will be coveted tonight.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-02-05, 19:40

Sweet.

I'll be on later giving the new hackintosh a run through it's paces. I can only imagine the step up performance wise is versus the MBP.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-05, 20:02

Looking good! I don't think I'll be able to participate tonight: too many real-world obligations, sadly.

I saw earlier that the project completion fairy finished the North stand and the glass roof over the VIP bar. Thanks!

Hope the Arena lives up to expectations. Video required!
Foj
Veteran Member

2011-02-05, 20:07

Quote:
Hope the Arena lives up to expectations. Video required!
I would love to see some highlights, too.

Have fun.
¡Damned!

2011-02-05, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Those 8 spots on the server will be coveted tonight.
If minecraft.net doesn't get its shit together no one will be able to log in to be there anyways.