Frequent hangs MacOS 10.12

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Frequent hangs MacOS 10.12
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-05-07, 09:06

My laptop is a champion.

It will be 7 in October.

Over the past few weeks I've grown accustomed to having apps hang, requiring force quits.

This past week it's become more frequent, and it's frankly been so long since I've dealt with this issue I'm a little rusty on procedures.

Do I need to run a diagnostic on the hardware?

That seems like a good first step...

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-07, 09:12

I would. That can be the SSD/HDD failing or RAM. It could also just be a need for a clean install and start over. I would run the diagnostics that are builtin first though as the initial step. It is non-invasive and won't kill your data. I would be sure to have everything backed up on an external volume though. Something like SuperDuper or CarboCopyCloner though, not just Time Machine.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-07, 10:54

Download and run DriveDX from binary Fruit. Very good drive diagnostics tool, and it's free for 15 days. If that comes back clean (lots of green, no yellow/red) then it's not your drive and you need to look at malware and RAM next. Also things that are in your LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons folders. Malware can clog things up (use Malwarebytes for this—use the free version) and those launch items can also load a lot of legacy kludges (remember to check in both the system and user Library folders). For RAM, run Activity Monitor (in your Utilities folder) and check the memory tab. In the graph at the bottom, look for lots of green; yellow and red are … uhm … red flags! You can have Activity Monitor open whilst you go about your work flow.

If all of that stuff comes back good, then Turtle's idea is next—the built-in diagnostics tool. Then, a complete diagnostics at a service center is in order—but not if you plan on replacing in the next 6 months, since you don't want to put your nickels into a dead potato.

Hope this helps.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-05-08, 04:51

Thanks for the guidance y'all.

I have backed up my external drive and will be backing up my on-board drive next then venturing down the diagnostic path.

I'm still on (Low) Sierra because I'm still on Outlook 2011 - waiting to migrate it to the latest version when the new machines are released.