User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Boot Camp: WIndows Activation Question

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Boot Camp: WIndows Activation Question
Uyek

2006-09-01, 15:31

So I have managed to install Bootcamp and Windows XP. It is asking me to activate it or it will stop working in 30 days.
But the activation wizard does not accept the product key. Is it the case that you can only install XP on one computer (in this case my husband's Compaq)? Is there any "fix" for this?

Thank you.
chaos123x

2006-09-01, 15:37

Buy another license.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-09-01, 15:48

You cannot legally install the same copy of Windows on multiple systems. You will have to purchase a separate license, as chaos mentioned, if order to activate the copy on your Mac.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Uyek

2006-09-01, 16:01

Got it!
Thanks for clarifying!
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-09-01, 16:39

I thought XP could be used on TWO systems...?

My upgrade copy of XP Home says it will activate on two systems at once.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-09-01, 16:44

The license on the Compaq is likely specific to Compaq OEM machines.
MSFT

2006-09-01, 19:58

Upgrades are a different story. Usually OEMs strike a deal with Microsoft removing the activation feature in XP, so long as it's installed on their system.
reardoma

2006-09-01, 22:18

ok here is what microsoft probably doesn't want you to know.

when you activate over the product limit, or provide an invalid product key code, there's a second option before shelling out 150 bucks for another license. Let microsoft activate the software for you.

Steps-
[snip]
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-09-02, 02:08

reardoma: I've edited your post to remove your "procedure". Please note the following statement from the Posting Guidelines. We do not tolerate users explaining how to cheat the system in order by bypass licensing schemes.

Quote:
Posting requests or information about obtaining pirated or illegally-distributed software is prohibited. Any and all such posts may be removed without warning. If the offending member continues with such posts, he or she is subject to immediate suspension from the forums for any amount of time the administrators or moderators deem necessary. Furthermore, posts asking for technical support regarding pirated software, requesting or breaking serial numbers, or otherwise bypassing licensing schemes are also not allowed and will be treated in the same manner as posts that directly ask for pirated software.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
MacConvert

2006-09-02, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post

Is this true? I'll be ordering soon (a MacBook and either an iMac or a Mac Pro), and I don't want to have to buy two copies of XP if I don't have to.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-09-02, 16:19

If I recall correctly, retail versions of XP will activate on two systems.
irnchriz

2006-09-08, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post

AFAIK the only Microsoft prodcut that can be installed on 2 systems is Office 2003. And this is only to be installed on 1 desktop and a laptop
nevir

2006-09-08, 14:00

from the XP home EULA:

Quote:
1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than one processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.
same goes for Pro, except it allows for the use of two processors on the same computer (where each core counts as a processor? not sure on that)
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-09-08, 14:21

Retail XP will activate up to five systems. It's entirely legal to run it on multple systems. I called Microsoft a few months back and had them free up one license based on the hardware of the computer it was running on (ex-girlfriend, mwahah ).
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-09-08, 14:22

I wasn't talking about the EULA, I was talking about whether or not it would activate.

I just looked at my XP Home and it says it can activate on two systems, that's what I was referring to.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-08, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevir View Post
same goes for Pro, except it allows for the use of two processors on the same computer (where each core counts as a processor? not sure on that)
That's a good question. Should I get XP Pro with my dual-core MacBook? XP Home only uses one processor, right? Will it use both cores?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-09-08, 14:38

XP Home will use both cores.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-08, 14:56

Gotcha. Thanks, chucker.
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2006-09-08, 15:11

wait for vista, I say