AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Earth Is Flat

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Earth Is Flat
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-27, 17:25

This place is too quiet, so I thought I'd stir the pot.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-27, 18:03

The moon is just a little disc in the sky.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-27, 18:10

The sun only shines on half the earth at one time, because reasons!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-27, 18:26

Australia isn’t real.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-04-27, 20:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Australia isn’t real.
Well we all know that.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-04-27, 21:01

I'm from Saturn's rings. Hello Earthlings.
¡Damned!

2021-04-28, 07:50

I watched a doc about the Flat Earth peeps a couple of years ago: Behind the Curve (on Netflix). True believers. It's recommended viewing if you can handle some awkward people, and a little sad.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-28, 11:16

I've been watch Professor Dave on Youtube, and it's just shocking to me. Really.

The reason it only takes 20 hours to fly to Australia from America is because the jet-stream is moving at, like, a couple hundred miles per hour.

"But, what about the return flight?" Professor Dave asks.

"Its a conspiracy," the flat-earth folk say, "and NASA will kill anyone who asks!"

Quote:
Australia isn’t real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Well we all know that.
And, that's why I started this thread. To get straight to the truth!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-28, 11:34

Bill Burr laid into the flat earth crowd in his latest podcast episode. It was pretty funny.

So they truly believe we're all just on a big "table"? And that, at some point, you could go right over the side and fall off? Is it that literal? Is that where all the shipwrecks and missing plane flights have gone (in their eyes)? They sailed/flew too far?

Goodness knows I've got my quirks and funny, twisted way of looking at things. But damn. There is a line.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
I worked with a guy, years ago, who said/believed the craziest stuff I've ever heard. And in such a conversational, matter-of-fact way that it just made it all the creepier/unsettling. And that was one of his things, that the earth wasn't round and that NASA and all the rest were in on some big thing and we were all just sheep, etc. I assumed he was harmless(?), but my "uh oh" sensors/detectors always pegged the red whenever he came around and started up with his nonsense. Others would outright bait/mock him, but I never did ("maybe he'll see fit to spare me on that day because he appreciated that I never fucked with him" was my reasoning, which could've gone either way). But I always kinda kept one eye on him at all times because if anyone in the joint was going to do something stupid and unexpected, it surely would've been him. I was always aware of my surroundings and exit paths and that was the only person like that I've ever had such close, direct daily dealings with. I have no idea whatever became of him after I went to another gig. I've Googled him a few times over the years (a name that there can't possibly be too many of), prepared to read the worst, but I've never been able to find a trace (news, crime blotter, trial reporting, court cases, obituary, prison or mental hospital trail, grave-finder sites, etc.).

He may have just gone back to his home planet.

That I sometimes accept that, straight up, as the reason both amuses and freaks me out a little.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-28, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
So they truly believe we're all just on a big "table"? And that, at some point, you could go right over the side and fall off? Is it that literal? Is that where all the shipwrecks and missing plane flights have gone (in their eyes)? They sailed/flew too far?
The newest explanation is that there is a giant, 200-foot ice cliff all the way around the outer "perimeter" of the "south pole" and that a conspiratorial conglomeration of nations will shoot you dead if you try to approach this 100,000-mile-circumference wall.

And they protect every inch of it at all times!

Always!

No civilian has ever been there—and returned!

I think it's where King Kong and Godzilla live.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-28, 11:50

Wow.

Man, I am sheltered...

I like how all the explanations are covered.

"There's no proof of it, mannnnn, because the blue helmets plugged everyone who's ever seen it!"

With that technique/approach one can just believe anything and everything they want, blaming its lack of evidence on that nebulous conspiracy that keeps everyone in check.

Nice. They just get their crazy cake and eat it too, huh? Must be nice, never having to be on the hook for any proof or hard reasons for any crazy shit you buy into.

Ah, the ol' black helicopter crowd. Bless their hearts. They can't help being insane, but maybe they could stay home and STFU every now and then?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-28, 11:53

The best part is that, when challenged to provide any evidence whatsoever (like pictures, or a quick rocket trip to the moon-disc thing to bring back some cheese samples), the answer is always the same.

"You want proof? Just Google it!"

The ancients didn't have Google, which is why they believed the Earth was round.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-28, 11:56

It's easier, and more useful, to just Google "mental illness" instead. It cuts right through the horseshit pretty quick.

"You can believe this, this, that and those, plus these 783 other crazy-ass things...

or

I can just believe your wiring is all messed up, and that you're a scoop or two short of a Sunday ice cream cone."

The latter wins, every time.

They probably also keep/train tigers in their backyard.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-28, 11:57

I did that a few minutes ago.

It just came back with "Paul".

Non-believer!

Besides, we all know it's true!

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-04-28 at 13:54.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-04-28, 13:57

Quote:
Australia isn’t real.
I thought it was New Zealand that wasn't real: https://www.reddit.com/r/MapsWithoutNZ/
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-28, 14:00

Don't we have one of those phony New Zealanders posting on this forum? I bet they're part of the conspiracy!

Jerkwads!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-28, 14:22

Re: all this flat earth stuff…what’s the basis/reason for it? What’s the point/benefit of throwing in with that? Are they genuinely serious or are they just all being trolls and stirring the pot? Like a big Internet flash mob of known, proud fruit loops looking for laughs/fun?

Because as a decades-long Phil Hendrie listener/fan, I can actually kinda appreciate that.

But if they’re legit…get me a net.

I’ve never really thought about this kind of stuff (because I’m sane), so I just never took it seriously. A bit of Googling and Youtubing today has been both hilarious and a little unsettling.

Otherwise functioning(?) adults(??) with actual lives/careers(???) believe this kind of stuff and they’re not kidding around or playing a role/for laughs?

Do they grow up learning it from crazy parents, or is it the kind of dumb shit you come across on the Internet masquerading as Truth & Enlightenment™️ to people with an already shaky, feeble grasp of things?

I’m betting it’s a lot of the latter. The “believe everything they hear/read on the Internet” crowd is growing, not waning, it seems. There are discussions held today that never would - or could - have been just 50 years ago. 25 years ago. Hell, 10 years ago.

That isn’t progress.

That’s “something has gone and turned a bunch of people stupid and crazy.” And, by all means, let’s provide them a consequence-free platform to share their stupid/crazy insights.

Perfect.

Today has been an eye-opener, no lie.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-04-28, 14:44

I sometimes wonder if the whole Flat-Earth thing is just a bunch of people each thinking they're trolling all the others, and trying to be more dedicated to the "bit". And then eventually, the feedback loop kicks in and they start to actually believe it.
Spoiler (click to toggle):

(I think that's what happened with Scientology too, tbh...)

The internet is perfect for insane theories. In the olden times, if you had a wacky idea, chances are that no-one you knew or met shared it. Eventually you gave up on it because no-one thought the same way. But the internet allows you to find those people, and suddenly there's literally dozens of you with the same wacky idea.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-28, 14:52

The polls are weird, and while this report tries really hard to "debunk" the number of people who believe the world is "flat", the poll's answer options—and the resulting percentages—lend to a rather disturbing conclusion: Which is that only 66% of 18-24 year olds are sure the world is a globe. So while the other 36% may not all believe the world is flat, that they "aren't sure" is … fun?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-04-28, 14:56

Given the article I saw (but didn’t read) about AI generated maps that can be made to deceive people, saying a place is’t real is a truth threat in the future.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-28, 15:31

Dagobah?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-28, 15:34

Dagobah is flat, you silly!

And, duh, clearly the earth is flat, since I can see my truck on the other side of the parking lot. If the world was round, my truck would disappear behind the pavement stripes!

Actually, it makes sense that this is how it all got started. Someone made a flippant joke, someone else spread it along until it landed in the lap of a Hobbit hiding in its hole, and then the Hobbit got all hot-n-bothered by the "conspiracy" and ran off to Mordor to destroy the big, bad, Mason-Klingon, whilst dragging along a bunch of innocent—but gullible—buddies and putting their lives in peril for save Padmé!

And Star Wars is real, dammit!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-28, 15:59

I learned in recent years that my paternal grandfather (he died way back in the 90's) didn't believe we landed on the moon.

I know that's a common one, but I never bought into that one either (that we didn't land on the moon; I fully believe we did). I think we had that shining period in the 60's where, for whatever reason, a bunch of people said "yeah, we're gonna do this". Whether it was sentimentality or feeling like they owed it to an assassinated president, who knows. Maybe 50+ years ago, such a thing was enough?

I just find it easier to believe that we did it, and it was the most awesome, bitchin' time ever to be an astronaut. Corvettes and astronaut groupie tail by the truck-load?

We do these things because it's hard, alright.

If it all was a big sham/hoax, then they did a pretty good job. But I know for a fact you can't keep such a big secret amongst so many people intact for 50 years. So, for that reason alone, we went. It's up to the fruitbats to prove/convince me otherwise, IMO. (cue Three Stooges music/sound effects).

But it never occurred to me that we didn't do that (and all the other Mercury and Gemini stuff before).

But Dad and I were talking a few years ago about grandpa and he laid that little nugget on me. I never knew! I didn't ask about what else he didn't believe. Kinda don't wanna know, honestly.

So when everyone else was cheering and celebrating on July 20, 1969, he was probably on the back porch smoking a cigarette and rolling his eyes.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-28 at 16:13.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-28, 16:20

How could we land on the moon when it's just a flat disk with no back to land on? I mean, gravity doesn't exist, so the lander would just fall off and land in the ocean. DUH*!

Your grandpa was a very smart man**!

* I suspect that the flat-earth folk and the "ain't land on moon" folk are the same folk?

** RIP!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-28, 17:19

I remember the Mythbusters doing a neat episode/segment on the moon landing stuff. They concluded that we did.

Good enough for me.

Nah, I didn't need their help. I knew already. But it was cool to see them rip on the cranks for an hour.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-29, 09:42

I have to say, if you've ever stood on a mountain top and looked out, or on a ship at sea in the middle of the ocean, you can see the curvature of the Earth. I mean, there is no denying it. The mountains around the one you are standing on normally make it more difficult, but out at sea, you have no doubt the Earth is round.

Never mind science, those people are crazy with the stuff they come up with. As a normal person though, you really have a hard time denying it when you see the Earth curve. 13 nautical miles to the edge and you can't see anymore. It really is awe inspiring.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-29, 10:21

That's why I almost think it's all just a big troll/chain-yank. People just can't be that blockheaded/oblivious. I mean, they can (and prove it daily), but their reasons for thinking the earth is flat simply don't hold up at any level. That's why I just can't take them seriously. If the evidence for it being round was just as silly, vague, nonexistent and truly "50/50", okay...fine, whatever.

But it isn't.

So that just means some people willfully choose to be chuckleheaded dopes about something they have no reason to be chuckleheaded dopes about.

Is that really the hill you're gonna die on? Of all the other great choices out there that actually may stand a shot of being legit (prehistoric lake monsters, hairy creatures in the woods, crazy lights in the sky, etc.). The jury is still out on a lot of things and believing in those doesn't automatically, or as quickly, put you in net-and-straitjacket territory like "flat earth" stuff does. You can actually be a functioning, contributing member of society and still be curious about what might be under the surface of Loch Ness.

Pick better things to be a weirdo about, people. Because "the earth is flat" is a lousy one to throw in with. You can do better.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-04-29, 10:28

Some people are just that dumb, naive. Simple as that.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-29, 10:38

But some are really smart/educated and dialed-in about everything else. It's that weird disconnect that they're otherwise sane/functioning, but throw in with this particular belief/theory - with absolutely nothing to back it up - that I find interesting.

"You can shop for groceries, pay your cable bill, wash your car, buy tickets to the symphony, take your nephew to the zoo, cook a great meal...but you think we're all just on a flat table, surrounded by ice, and if we go too far...".
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-29, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I have to say, if you've ever stood on a mountain top and looked out, or on a ship at sea in the middle of the ocean, you can see the curvature of the Earth. I mean, there is no denying it. The mountains around the one you are standing on normally make it more difficult, but out at sea, you have no doubt the Earth is round.

Never mind science, those people are crazy with the stuff they come up with. As a normal person though, you really have a hard time denying it when you see the Earth curve. 13 nautical miles to the edge and you can't see anymore. It really is awe inspiring.
Nope. That's called "the lens effect". You see, your eyes distort distance and it only looks curved. DUH!

Quote:
That's why I almost think it's all just a big troll/chain-yank. People just can't be that blockheaded/oblivious.
The modern flat-earth phenomena started out that way, with some snake-oil salesmen tossing erroneous ideas out there. But like so many other things in life, a few people bought in and then spread it as truth. The "Flat Earth Priests" (as they're called) know it's a lie, but they spread it because it earns them revenue. It's not much, but it is a living.

Quote:
But some are really smart/educated and dialed-in about everything else. It's that weird disconnect that they're otherwise sane/functioning, but throw in with this particular belief/theory - with absolutely nothing to back it up - that I find interesting.
I think that if we could do a poll, we would find that the flat-earth believers are the same group that deny the moon landing. I was listening to Professor Dave and he brought this thought up: That there are some people out there that are so opposed to any government intrusion or any authority over their lives that any conspiracy—any—that smacks of anti-establishment they will grab on with all their claws and hang on for dear life.

Probably because they don't have anything else to grab onto.