User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Selling advice...what should I ask for an 18-month-old iPhone 4s?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Selling advice...what should I ask for an 18-month-old iPhone 4s?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-10-08, 10:55

Mom got her new 5s yesterday, so we're putting her previous model on Craigslist to see what happens.

I'm always so confused/unsure about the going price for these things, vs. contract/off-contract, etc. They always seem to bring much more than I'd imagine. We were going to be pleased with $200 (that's what I sold my two-year-old iPhone 4 a year ago).

But can we get more than that?

It's a 16GB white AT&T 4s. The screen is perfect (no scuffs or dings, no dead pixels). There are some scuffs around the perimeter of the phone's body where she once used a case knife(!) to try and pry off a snug case...

But that's the only physical wear. Performance and battery are great, and it's already set to factory/new restore with iOS 7.0.2 loaded and ready to go. It comes in the original packaging as well, with the wall charger, 30-pin-to-USB charging/sync cable and never-used earbuds (still wrapped in the cellophane/plastic). Alas, the little owners guide and stickers are long gone, but I can't imagine that being too big of a deal?

What could/should we ask for this? Is $200 fair/reasonable, or do you think we can ask more (because the person buying it, off contract, etc., would pay that? I just don't have a firm grasp of this stuff.

Also...do I need to remove the SIM card? Her new phone is already activated and working fine. Again, I'm always unsure. A new owner will provide their own, correct?

Quick responses appreciated...I'm trying to get this posted ASAP. Gimme your honest estimate (and the reason why).
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2013-10-08, 11:20

You should list it for higher than you expect to get to leave some room for negotiation. You'll get people that will email you offering you $100 lower than you listed it for, my policy is to simply ignore those people. I'd check eBay sold listings and Craigslist for what people are selling their phones for to see where you should price hers. I just did a quick check of eBay and most seem to be selling for between $200 and $300 for an AT&T 16gb iPhone. I'd start at $250 or $275 and be happy to get $225. You should be able to get at least that considering the condition of the phone and the fact that you're including optional accessories.

You should remove the SIM card and you should make sure to turn off Find My iPhone in iCloud settings prior to erasing the phone, which you should definitely also do.

Include a few pictures with your listing, people are always more likely to look at listings with pictures and definitely more likely to contact you and make you an offer. Make sure to take some shots of the areas you consider damaged so you don't run into a situation where your potential buyer claims you never told them or they didn't know the extent of it and they try to get you to come down in price right before the sale.

Edit: Scrolling through more recently sold eBay listings, someone got $150 for an AT&T 4S that was water damaged. The seller said in the listing that it would only turn on while charging. He still got $150. You shouldn't take any less than $225.

Come waste your time with me
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-10-08, 11:45

Cool, thanks. I think I'll put $250 and see what happens.

I've already removed the SIM, I've taken eight (max) pics (packaging, accessories, close-ups of the phone itself, etc.). In order to the do the restore/wipe last night, I was prompted to turn off the Find My iPhone feature. Seems you can't get around it, because they want your Apple ID password to do that, which must be part of that anti-theft stuff built into iOS 7.