User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Getting VHS to my Powerbook

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Getting VHS to my Powerbook
EmC

2004-08-24, 10:36

A few years back our house burnt down, in it were videos of my child hood and family. Until a week ago we thought all of these were lost. While at my grandmother's house we found several duplicates of different VHS cassettes. As a christmas present to my family I was going to clean them up and put them on DVD. What would be the cheapest or easiest way to go about getting the video off of the tapes on onto my PB? It is a 15" Titanium PowerBook.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-24, 11:40

I've heard that you have great results with the Formac Studio TVR

I've also heard good things about The Eye TV

Maybe someone who owns one can give you advice on which model to get, I do not own either of them, only have heard good things about both, and they will both do analog to digital conversion (VHS>DVD).

Come waste your time with me
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-08-24, 12:44

I have a Hollywood DV bridge. If we could figure out the logistics maybe I could loan it to you? I'd hate for you to buy an analog<->DV converter for just one project.

PM me and maybe we could make it happen (assuming you live in USA).
EmC

2004-08-24, 15:01

Thanks for the help! I just got back from transfer orientation, my school has an awesome AV lab that is open to students. I asked about it and the lab admin said it should be no problem to get the video ripped to disk for me. I'm going to take him the tapes Thursday. Woooohoooo.

Although it would be pretty sweet to PVR on my Mac, may have to beg for an early Christmas present.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
cudaboy_71

Send a message via AIM to cudaboy_71  
2004-09-01, 11:51

great news that you found someone to rip your cassettes to disc. much easier than trying to do it on your powerbook.

however, in addition to the suggestions above, also keep in mind (for the future) that many miniDV camcorders have a play-through option. if you already have a miniDV cam, your investment should be nil.

i use my canon elura2 all the time to pull video through it to my desktop machine. the camera has composite in (the red/white/yellow rca plugs) to go from the VCR to the camera; and the camera goes 4pin firewire to 6pin firewire right to my computer.

just hit play on the VCR, and import in iMovie and all my clips are on my drive.