AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

A Sticky Situation

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
A Sticky Situation
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-06-29, 23:13

Gaziza!!

I've just finished putting together a website for a friend's business and would appreciate some beta testing if any of you have time.

It's called "Joe's Sticky Stuff™" - try not to let me know what's horribly broken

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-06-30, 00:04

Nice looking site. I'm surprised there's no way to buy it directly though as a consumer and not a dealer.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-06-30, 00:10

The owner is a working technician in the motion picture biz and doesn't have time to act fill single orders right now... but I agree.

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-06-30, 01:09

I like the content pages better than the home page. Two things causing this :

1 - Try to have the same gap between the header and the content area across all pages. Only the home and the find us page don't have one. As Yoda said "You do or do not. There's no try." (Sorry, just watched IV, V, VI in the last 2 days)

2 - "The Sticky Tweets" should be aligned with the "What is Joe's Sticky Stuff ?". It clear the div for no apparent reason. It shouldn't be affected by the div expanding either. That would remove a considerate, unnecessary height.

Maybe on the fanclub page, change the background color for the pictures area... like match the header's color. It's just that the used blue made me think that it was selected for some reason. Maybe that color wouldn't look great too... I don't know... It's 2:10am man. Would add some uniformity though.

And why not add a little touch in that header to groove it up a little bit. A subtle texture or something... Joe's own sticky stuff ?

Don't be alarmed by all my comments though. It's nice, clean and I like it. I'm a web designer so... I'm kinda picky on details
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-06-30, 14:58

Helpful observations, thanks!

I'd like to tighten up the design language of the pages, will consider enhancements for a future site update.

The expanding yellow box on the front page does press down on the Twitter box.... I may experiment with variations of CSS when I get a chance.

I've only recently started playing with JQuery and javascript plugins and they're really handy. Coding CSS to work with elements which expand or reposition is new to me.

hm...

Captain Drew on Twitter
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-06-30, 15:17

+1 on the tweet box. I don't like how it just seems to be sticky taped onto the front page.

And then there's the legalese:
Quote:
"Limitation of Liability and Warranty: JoeProps, LLC shall not be liable for any loss or damage of any nature or description arising from the use of this product. JoeProps,LLC does not, expressly or impliedly, warrant this product or its use, including, but not limited to, whether this product is fit for its intended use, purpose or merchantability."
That doesn't sound very reassuring. It might be how US practice is, but it seems at odds with the rest of the sales pitch that the site is trying to make. If possible, I would suggest rephrasing it into something that sounds less like total ass cover and more like an encouragement to use the product with common sense. Alternatively you could change the colour scheme and location in order to make the disclaimer a bit more subtle.

Of course that last bit of advice wouldn't be complete without a disclaimer from me stating that I'm not a US lawyer.

Apart from that I think it's a very good looking site.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-06-30, 15:28

To fix the tweet box, just add to the div :
Code:
float:left;
It will be positioned correctly and won't be affected by the other div, which is already set to float right. You'll be able to set margins to easily adjusts the position...

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-06-30, 15:56

Hmmm.... you know, the class "tweet" is already assigned a left float, and the enclosing div floats as well... I think this is what confused me during the process... very weird.

Captain Drew on Twitter
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-06-30, 16:20

Don't know if this is possible (might be a moving target on some of the larger vendors sites) but it sort of bugs me when I'm presented with a list of "places to buy" and the link takes me to the vendor's home page where I'm obliged to search. Much nicer when the link is to the specific product page. I'd reckon some sales are lost when you give the potential customer additional steps between impluse and the shopping cart button.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-06-30, 19:20

I believe one might be able to patent the idea of cross site add to cart functionality, if it hasn't already been done.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-06-30, 20:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Hmmm.... you know, the class "tweet" is already assigned a left float, and the enclosing div floats as well... I think this is what confused me during the process... very weird.

The order you make them load have an impact. Try to invert them... I'm just saying this on top of my head

Off topic : Is there a way to see the source code on the iPhone. Any browser that have that feature ?

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-07-01, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
I believe one might be able to patent the idea of cross site add to cart functionality, if it hasn't already been done.
Upon closer inspection I see some of the vendor links do go straight to the product page (and a few more try but return no results). I've had an account with Markertek for years and use them for gear and expendable; so naturally that's the first one I checked and that one goes to the Markertek home page. Is it something the vendor does on their site that makes them different? I'm actually buying a few roles, by the way, because I can see plenty of uses for stage work.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-07-02, 09:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
The order you make them load have an impact. Try to invert them... I'm just saying this on top of my head

Off topic : Is there a way to see the source code on the iPhone. Any browser that have that feature ?
Thanks D, This worked!
I've made changes on a beta site, waiting to get approval to move the changes to the live site.

I'll mention the straight to product page linkage, though my own worry is that the links will be continually broken as time passes and individual vendors update their databases and websites.

Captain Drew on Twitter
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-07-02, 23:07

Have you had a chance to try this stuff out? I'm interested because I have some framed photos I want to hang in my house, but I hate the idea of having to put nail holes in the walls.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2011-07-03, 10:24

I love this product. I can not even begin to tell you how annoying it was to peel and clean butyl off of a surface when I was in the art department.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2011-07-04, 03:49

I'd suggest using Vimeo over YouTube for the video — less crap all over the video.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-07-04, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
+1 on the tweet box. I don't like how it just seems to be sticky taped onto the front page.

And then there's the legalese:

That doesn't sound very reassuring. It might be how US practice is, but it seems at odds with the rest of the sales pitch that the site is trying to make. If possible, I would suggest rephrasing it into something that sounds less like total ass cover and more like an encouragement to use the product with common sense. Alternatively you could change the colour scheme and location in order to make the disclaimer a bit more subtle.

Of course that last bit of advice wouldn't be complete without a disclaimer from me stating that I'm not a US lawyer.

Apart from that I think it's a very good looking site.
Aside from apparent incursion of American legalese... this does strike me as odd. I suspect that Joe is buying this tape from some manufacturer that brands it for him -- ie, this is not a product he, himself, developed. This sort of disclaimer makes sense in that regard because he has no control over manufacturing quality etc...