User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

(Solved) Deleting a group of contacts in Yahoo! Messenger 3.0b1

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
(Solved) Deleting a group of contacts in Yahoo! Messenger 3.0b1
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-03, 11:03

(You may be wondering why I'm posting an answer to my own question here. Well, it's so mind-boggingly stupid that I figured others might suffer the same weirdness, so, uh, yeah.)

Yeah, sounds easy enough, doesn't it? You move all contacts inside the group elsewhere, or get rid of all of them, so that the group is empty. You collapse the group so that the statistics show, and they say "0/0". No contacts online in the group, and no contacts at all in the group. Then you select the group — oh wait, can't do that — , so you go to the group's contextual menu instead and select Delete — oh wait, can't do that — , so you drag it to the trash — nope, not either. And at this point, you're stumped. You can create a group. You can rename a group. But you can't delete one!

Except, it's actually quite simple. Sign out and back in, or quit and relaunch. There, gone. No traces.

That interface could use some work.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-11-03, 12:50

No brained lemming!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-03, 13:07

No, sorry, such software behaviour is just brainless. I even waited for a few minutes for the group by itself. Apparently it takes a manual resync with the server or whatever.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-11-03, 16:58

I don't disagree with you... I just like the idea of a truly brainless lemming...
chucker

2006-11-03, 17:09

Fortunately, I haven't sunken quite that low just yet