Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Anyone heard of "bronies"?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone heard of "bronies"?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
JohnnyTheA

2011-12-15, 00:26

Okay, I think of myself as a pretty huge geek. I like gaming, programming, anime (well, mostly old-school anime), japanese monster movies, etc.... Most "geek" things I have heard about even if it surpasses my level of geekness. But, I cam across something that is at a totally different level or in some other strange dimension.

I'm talking about "Bronies". I teach a college class at night and I get my share of students who are into all kinds of different hobbies. Usually it is gaming, coding, etc... But I had one student who, during a break, told me about his fascination with "My little Pony". I can remember the toy commercials in the 80s for the little girly plastic horse with the barbie hair. This guy was REALLY into a new animated TV series that is apparently used to help sell the toys. He said things like "the ponies are so adorable and loving, its such a great show".

Okay, there are all kinds of people out there and some are just way towards the ends of the bell curve. He urged me to watch the first episodes of this show. I did some research and it turns out there is this whole "adult male" following of this pony TV show. They have even had conventions. So I watched the show expecting to see some sort of angle like fan service, adult "rocky and bullwinkle" humor, amazing special effects, something that adult males would be into. ...Nothing... It is this totally made-for-kids show with these cute little ponies with names like "Apple jack" and "Rainbow sprinkle". No hot chicks riding these ponies, no adult humor (that I could see). Its a totally girly, cute kids kind of show. I had to turn the volume down on the my iPad because I was totally afraid my wife would catch me watching such a show. I mean lots of cartoons have elements in them that appeal to the adults (who have control over the remote), this doesn't...at....all..

So the term "brony" means an adult male who is totally into this My little Pony show. Some folks thing that there may be more men watching this than kids... I'm a geek, but I can't get into this show at all.

Has anyone seen this show or know any bronies? Applenova is a pretty diverse crew, there may be some bronies around....

JTA
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-15, 00:33

FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC.

or so i've heard.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
I watched one episode when I saw the craze that taking off last spring/summer. I keep thinking I should watch another to see what the fuss is all about, but I can't make the time between MINECRAFT MINECRAFT MEINCRAFT MEINCRAFT MEINKRAFT MEINKRAFT

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-12-15, 00:44

I think this might be a thing where the satire is so deep that it's indistinguishable from reality.
¡Damned!

2011-12-15, 02:26

A bunch of dudes into My Little Pony?

I'm guessing less Bronie and more like Browneye. Ammirite?
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-12-15, 09:21

I work with a Brony. It's...I don't even really know how to describe that. I don't understand it, nor do I really want to. To each his own.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-12-15, 10:24

Never heard of this.

Seems like something where they'd say, "You just have to watch it." and if you don't get it, they don't talk about it.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-12-15, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
A bunch of dudes into My Little Pony?

I'm guessing less Bronie and more like Browneye. Ammirite?
According to Encyclopedia Dramatica the term you are looking for is clopping.

ED also stated that bronies are a sub-goup of furries.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-12-15, 12:37

My sister has a bunch of friends (of both sexes) that are into "MLP" in a sort of self-aware, semi-ironic, semi-genuine way. I watched the first episode...it was okay. Not really my cup of tea. Maybe with the newer episodes, the writers have the show's periphery demographic in mind?

I can sort of see why people like it, though. A lot of media aimed at teens and twentysomethings is really dark and serious, even though the point of it is to be fun. I can see why somebody could find MLP refreshing. For whatever it's worth, it looks like nothing else on television.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-12-15, 12:48

I find it intensely creepy when adult men, without a specific reason like kids of their own, are into something that is so *clearly* aimed at kids. Maybe it's just the work I do, but it really gets my predator antennae twitching.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-12-15, 12:53

Also, this paragraph made be chuckle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTheA
Okay, there are all kinds of people out there and some are just way towards the ends of the bell curve. He urged me to watch the first episodes of this show. I did some research and it turns out there is this whole "adult male" following of this pony TV show. They have even had conventions. So I watched the show expecting to see some sort of angle like fan service, adult "rocky and bullwinkle" humor, amazing special effects, something that adult males would be into. ...Nothing... It is this totally made-for-kids show with these cute little ponies with names like "Apple jack" and "Rainbow sprinkle". No hot chicks riding these ponies, no adult humor (that I could see). Its a totally girly, cute kids kind of show. I had to turn the volume down on the my iPad because I was totally afraid my wife would catch me watching such a show. I mean lots of cartoons have elements in them that appeal to the adults (who have control over the remote), this doesn't...at....all..
"Adult males like this show, and there's no hot chicks or special effects? I don't get it. Oh shit, my wife might catch me watching this!"

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-15, 13:30

It's okay that I'm in love with Adventure Time and Regular Show, though, right?

Oh my glob, you guys.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-12-15, 14:25

What's the Strawberry Shortcake version?

I did have a Hello Kitty phase. Those pencil boxes!
ronmexico

2011-12-15, 14:32

I liked Urban Dictionary's definition and usage of the word:

A male fan of the series, "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic."
"Dude, are you a member of the herd?"

"Yeah, I'm a Bronie"
Fist-bumps are exchanged and both say; "Bro-hoof"
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2011-12-15, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I find it intensely creepy when adult men, without a specific reason like kids of their own, are into something that is so *clearly* aimed at kids. Maybe it's just the work I do, but it really gets my predator antennae twitching.
I'm wondering if you think it would be just as intensely creepy if it was adult women watching it?

This whole thread is really bothering me with the sexist and homophobic underlying implications. Maybe it's not really there and I'm overreacting to it because of my academic studies as well as my personal experiences? I mean, I'm not explicitly setting out to be "angry queer and feminist activist" or anything. But I'm getting this impression from everyone's reactions of of "watching this is WRONG because it's so GIRLY and it appeals to them and REAL MEN should not be watching this or something is WRONG WITH THEM". Because clearly there are Man Things and there are Woman Things (and there are Kid Things, but those are also sub-typed into Boy and Girl things, have you seen the gender coding of kids toys lately?) and never the twain shall meet and if the two DO meet then someone is breaking the sacred rigid codes of masculinity or something. Which is utter complete bullshit. Think it's a kid's show all you want and wonder why adults in general would watch it, sure, I'm down with that kind of criticism, but the specific critiquing that it's wrong for there to be adult male fen of it is the most prevalent tone here and the underlying tones of that are just discomfiting.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-12-15, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
I'm wondering if you think it would be just as intensely creepy if it was adult women watching it?

This whole thread is really bothering me with the sexist and homophobic underlying implications. Maybe it's not really there and I'm overreacting to it because of my academic studies as well as my personal experiences? I mean, I'm not explicitly setting out to be "angry queer and feminist activist" or anything. But I'm getting this impression from everyone's reactions of of "watching this is WRONG because it's so GIRLY and it appeals to them and REAL MEN should not be watching this or something is WRONG WITH THEM". Because clearly there are Man Things and there are Woman Things (and there are Kid Things, but those are also sub-typed into Boy and Girl things, have you seen the gender coding of kids toys lately?) and never the twain shall meet and if the two DO meet then someone is breaking the sacred rigid codes of masculinity or something. Which is utter complete bullshit. Think it's a kid's show all you want and wonder why adults in general would watch it, sure, I'm down with that kind of criticism, but the specific critiquing that it's wrong for there to be adult male fen of it is the most prevalent tone here and the underlying tones of that are just discomfiting.
Honestly, no. But that's because of the base rates of abuse and abusers. I know that there are women who are sexual abuse perpetrators but it's no where near the numbers for men.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2011-12-15, 16:01

Just for a test I mentioned this term to the women in the office - all moms - and told them its definition. None of them said that's "gay", all of them said, "that's creepy"

I think there's probably some specific hard wiring in males and females that light up their early warning signs in different ways. It's not bullshit. Sometimes the people who want to make politics out of gender studies try way too hard to reject the underlying biology.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-12-15, 16:25

Oh and about the gay thing - it never entered my mind. I don't consider this a gay/straight thing. At all. But again, I know better than to equate homosexuality and any sort of sexual predation. Sadly, many don't but I do.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-15, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Honestly, no. But that's because of the base rates of abuse and abusers. I know that there are women who are sexual abuse perpetrators but it's no where near the numbers for men.
What about guys who watch other "kids" cartoons, like my aforementioned (actual) appreciation for Adventure Time?

Heck, my wife dressed up as Fiona, the female version of Finn in one gender-swapped alternate-universe Adventure Time episode, for Halloween. What does THAT say about how dysfunctional we are?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-12-15, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
What about guys who watch other "kids" cartoons, like my aforementioned (actual) appreciation for Adventure Time?

Heck, my wife dressed up as Fiona, the female version of Finn in one gender-swapped alternate-universe Adventure Time episode, for Halloween. What does THAT say about how dysfunctional we are?
Enjoying is different from being obsessed by.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-12-15, 23:17

Quote:

She makes you FSM dolls out of yarn AND dresses as Fiona? Awesome wife dude.
My lady and I also love adventure time and regular show, but then again, most of what we watch is cartoons.

As for bronies, lump me in with 'i dont get it'
I laugh at the lolcat style pictures ("Im gonna love and tolerate the shit out of you!") but as far as watching the show, i cant bring mhself to do it.
JohnnyTheA

2011-12-15, 23:30

I didn't mean to put any kind of anti-gay undertone to this thread. I don't really have a "gayday" but I am pretty sure that the brony I met is not gay. It not about any perceived "gayness" (that what the Logo channel is all about) it is about adult males obsessing about a "young" girly show. It strikes me as odd but it is a free country.

Now I DO watch kids shows though. Just not ones meant exclusively for little girls. Shows like Sponge Bob, the old Land-of-the-Lost (70s version), Speed Racer, Muppets. And yes, I suffer from Nostalgia as much as anyone else. I like watching old Johnny Quest, Wacky Races, Speed Racer... But ALL of those shows have purposely put elements in for older kids, adults, males, females. Casting a wide net helps ratings I suppose.

Imagine if you went to work and a 30 year old male had a baby doll in a crib and spent his lunch hour changing the dolls clothes, rocking it, singing to it, and playing with it like a little girl. Thats kind of like the Brony movement. There is nothing harmful I suppose..

JTA
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-12-16, 00:24

I think it's different from "gay", but it's obviously incredibly effete. I think this is part of the pussification of the current generation... nothing to do with sexual orientation.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-12-16, 08:46

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/...-little-ponys/

Quote:
Each day, out-of-work computer programmer Luke Allen self-medicates by watching animated ponies have magical adventures.

The 32-year-old, who lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico, loves his daily fix of My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic, and he’s not alone. He’s part of a growing group of “bronies” (“bro ponies”) — men who are fans of a TV show largely intended for a much younger audience.

“First we can’t believe this show is so good, then we can’t believe we’ve become fans for life, then we can’t believe we’re walking down the pink aisle at Toys R Us or asking for the girl’s toy in our Happy Meal,” Allen said in an e-mail to Wired.com. “Then we can’t believe our friends haven’t seen it yet, then we can’t believe they’re becoming bronies too.”

Every nerd has a favorite TV show they watch religiously and know inside and out. But My Little Pony seems like an unlikely object of fanboy love. Since the show debuted last fall on cable channel Hub TV, it’s attracted a growing number of male fanatics. Their love of the show is internet neo-sincerity at its best: In addition to watching the show, these teenage, twenty- and thirtysomething guys are creating pony art, posting fan videos on YouTube and feeding threads on 4chan (and their own chan, Ponychan).

They also risk life, limb and being trolled to death on the /co/ board to fawn over a small gaggle of ponies with names like Twilight Sparkle, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash.

You guys have MC, this guys has My Little Pony. No big whoop.
murbot
Hoonigan

2011-12-16, 11:39

Quote:
It's okay that I'm in love with Adventure Time and Regular Show, though, right?

Oh my glob, you guys.
Dude, I'd never heard of the show before but I watched some last night. My wife gave me quite the look when I started groping her in bed and asking for my 7 minutes in heaven.

That show is awesome.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-12-16, 11:55

I'm confused... which show is Murbot talking about??!

IS MURBOT A BRONIE NOW??!!!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-16, 11:56

Dude, let's kill the horse.
murbot
Hoonigan

2011-12-16, 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I'm confused... which show is Murbot talking about??!

IS MURBOT A BRONIE NOW??!!!

Regular bronies are creepy. I'm an Apocalypse Bronie.

Sweet link, Brad. Now I'm watching cartoons and laughing at work.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2011-12-16, 12:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Dude, I'd never heard of the show before but I watched some last night. My wife gave me quite the look when I started groping her in bed and asking for my 7 Seconds in heaven.

That show is awesome.
TFTFY.
murbot
Hoonigan

2011-12-16, 12:12

I was counting the 6+ minutes it takes to get her to quit saying no.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2011-12-16, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
I was counting the 6+ minutes it takes to get her to quit saying no.
Oops. Sorry my mistake!!