User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Who's hitting the boards with the ugly stick?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Who's hitting the boards with the ugly stick?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
HOM
The Elder™

2005-01-25, 00:00

This isn't a random thing tonight. It's happened to me at least a dozen times. This is just the latest incarnation.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-25, 00:05

Your computer = teh suck?

It looks like our CSS isn't loading in that image. I have no idea why. Nothing has changed on our end in several weeks and I never experience that.

The next time that happens, hit cmd-opt-A and see if there are any errors or incomplete transfers.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-25, 00:07

yeah, I have been getting page loads like that intermittently as well... possible regional glitch?!?

I just now completely cleaned safari of all 3rd party additions and cache files and I haven't seen anything weird since--I thought that was the culprit. But if HOM is seeing this behavior has well... just a coincidence?

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-01-25, 00:18

Sounds like a cache problem somewhere outside of your locations...
Try the site through a proxy server a long way away to check.

In Thailand some of our international sites are held on a local cache at the ISP and we can't even get up to date news without going through a proxxy in the US, or UK!!

Makes web dev. very hard here as you cannot see changes when you upload them internationally for up to a day!!!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-25, 00:27

One thing worth noting that I just remembered is that Safari apparently sometimes refuses to cache our CSS page. I don't know why; it's probably just a Safari bug because we're not doing anything out of the ordinary.

I'm going to modify our htaccess file to try to force a later expire time on our CSS files.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-25, 00:41

Apparently Apache is set up on this server so we can't change the expires parameters in our .htaccess files.

*shrug*
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2005-01-25, 01:04

it happens to me sometimes. its when the connection on my side becomes really slow or fucks up. If you reload it should work fine.
IonYz

Send a message via AIM to IonYz  
2005-01-25, 01:15

Looking fine here (using OmniWeb). But I have similar problems when making changes to our company site from home. Either Safari is messing with my CSS or the squid proxy dealy at work is pulling some mojo.

/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-01-25, 07:26

I had the same problem yesterday. But the intarweb was slow for me all day. :/
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2005-01-25, 10:14

Actually, the interesting thing in the screenshot above is that main.css is loading, but the forum specific stylesheet is not.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-25, 12:53

Good observation, LoCash.

Curiously enough, I experienced this problem this morning too. So, I'll definitely look into the forum stylesheet on Friday and try to pinpoint any weirdness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SafariScreenSnapz001.jpg (33.6 KB, 141 views)
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-25, 13:05

I see you use the javascript confirmation for PMs there brad... any chance that could be looked at as well I hate that popup that comes up after every sent message! Ok Cancel? FUCK YOU!

People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-01-25, 14:18

This definitely wasn't happening to me before yesterday. Now its happening about every other pageload. :'(
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-25, 16:01

In the Apple Store Roosevelt Field....

So its definitely not a problem with software... unless it is a serious bug in Safari...

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-01-25, 16:04

i can tell you i've never seen this problem once in Firefox.
¡Damned!

2005-01-25, 16:32

Nor in Camino.
nomorewindows

2005-01-25, 17:10

This has happened to me a few times the last couple of days, but I just reload and it goes away. I thought y'all didn't like me or something...

"A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other." Baltasar Gracian
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-01-25, 17:11

i've never seen the problem with firefox on windows, GNU/Linux or Mac OS X. i also use safari sometimes on macosx, and i've never seen it there neither.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-25, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
i can tell you i've never seen this problem once in Firefox.
Right. As I mentioned above, I believe it's a problem with Safari specifically not keeping the file cached and, for some reason, for fetching it properly.
nomorewindows

2005-01-25, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Right. As I mentioned above, I believe it's a problem with Safari specifically not keeping the file cached and, for some reason, for fetching it properly.
Hmmm. I've been thinking of trying Camino. This might push me in that direction, 'cause this is butt-ugly.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-01-25, 20:51

If I'm not mistaken, HOM's screenshot up above is using FF.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-25, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorewindows
Hmmm. I've been thinking of trying Camino. This might push me in that direction, 'cause this is butt-ugly.
Are you really experiencing it that often? I do nearly all of my browsing in Safari and I've only seen this happen once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
If I'm not mistaken, HOM's screenshot up above is using FF.
Nope, that's just Safari in Aqua instead of metal. See the joined buttons, the SnapBack button, and the resize nub for the Google bar?

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-01-25, 21:15

Quote:
Nope, that's just Safari in Aqua instead of metal. See the joined buttons, the SnapBack button, and the resize nub for the Google bar?
Well, I'll be! I didn't even know you could add buttons to the toolbar! I saw the home and resize buttons and thought, "That must be firefox because you don't get those buttons in Safari." Learn something new everyday....
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-25, 21:17

Yeah, hit the View menu to toggle buttons. Not very intuitive, huh? Fortunately, Safari 2.0 should finally bring us a standard customizable toolbar.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-01-25, 22:49

Just for the record, the "blackout" issue occurred just now for me on IE 6 (Windows 2000).
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-25, 22:50

It just happened to you a few minutes ago because you caught it as I was swapping files.

I split up the mammoth forums.aipro.css file into two smaller files. Maybe that'll help a bit... it's still pretty odd.

To anyone who has been experiencing this glitch, please post here again if you are still experiencing problems now.

johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-01-25, 23:01

I did 30 seconds ago. But it's normal now.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-01-25, 23:09

Quote:
It just happened to you a few minutes ago because you caught it as I was swapping files.
You wily bastard! (j/k)

Thanks for letting me (us) know. I'll keep my eyes posted for any future anamolies.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-01-25, 23:28

Got some funky border things going on. Right now, there the left and right borders aren't around the "main" part of the page. Earlier the main part of the page was the width of the window rather than the 80-90% it usually is.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-01-25, 23:31

What it's been looking like recently.