Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iphoto: another stupid question

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iphoto: another stupid question
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2005-06-17, 22:06

i have pictures on my apple and i was just messing around by making them b&w and such and i didnt actually wanna save the picture so i figured id just move on to the next picture and when i did that it said saving and i was just like ohhhh shat...so i went to undo b&w and it didnt do anything...how do i revert the picture back to its normal color state??? please help its very important!!!!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-06-17, 22:33

Remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid EpIII threads.

Now, iPhoto saves an new file, and keeps the original intact. Go back into Edit mode for that photo, and use the Photos->Revert to Original menu item.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-06-17, 22:44

Go to the menu under Photos, then you should be able to click Revert To Original.

I just now tried the same thing for a single photo, and it worked.
-------
Since typing that last line, I went back to iPhoto, changed the same pic to b&w, and quit iPhoto. Then, I started iPhoto again, double-clicked the pic, and I was able to do the same Revert To Original command.

Cool, I didn't know it worked that well.

iPhoto does these things by keeping the original photos intact. When you edit pics, iPhoto actually saves a separate, new image file and alters its database to point to the new version. The original still exists, so when you click "Revert To Original", it changes its database entry to point to the original pic.

After a while, and after a whole lot of editing, there will be originals sitting unused in the iPhoto Library folder and taking up more space. If you only want to keep the edited versions and get rid of the orphaned originals, check out a small utility called iPhoto Diet. It will rummage through the folder, clearing out those unused images. The good thing is that it merely moves them to the Trash. So, if you change your mind, you can choose the images you want to keep and drag them back out of the Trash.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2005-06-17, 23:02

thank yall so much...you can lock this thread now
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-06-17, 23:20

Cool, glad we could help. Don't mind me using ten times as many words to say the same thing as Kickaha up there... lol