Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Real World Benchmarks...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Real World Benchmarks...
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-06-06, 03:54

I couldn't really find a thread to put this in, but if anyone can spot one.

I've just been getting into using Handbrake. On my PowerBook G4 1.33, I'm getting 3-4fps. On the Quad that I just fired up....it's more like 60-70fps. Now that's the kind of benchmark I can make sense of.

So, my backwards point is: why do people use these abstract benchmarking tools? Yeah, a score of eleventy billion is good, but what does that mean to me? More benchmarks involving things people actually do, please!
mooty

2006-06-06, 04:04

well you can relate the results if you test both machines with the same points system... ie 3dMark or something. Although you're right, what this actually converts to in user experience isn't very clear... you can only really tell if its better, or worse!

I am sure if you read-up on the benchamrk products you can translate the points results to something meaningful, but I prefer the easy approach.... FPS, boot-times, time tests to render, zip files, those things...