User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Any known timeframe for Mac Pro revisions?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Any known timeframe for Mac Pro revisions?
popvulture

2007-10-17, 15:36

Hi-

I'm looking to buy a Mac Pro sometime soon, but after reading rumor pages, etc, it seems as though a revision with Penryn processors is on the horizon.

I'm getting really annoyed by the ambiguity of this "someday" update, and was wondering if any of you have heard anything that might narrow down the arrival of these new models?

Just trying to plan ahead. And waiting. And waiting.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-10-17, 15:41

Penryn is due in mid November (12th or 13th IIRC) so I'm thinking mid to late November at the earliest.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-10-17, 15:47

Buy now if you need now. Don't wait based on speculation of unannounced products.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-10-17, 15:51

Yup, and in any case the speed difference isn't going to be that much different for most apps anyway.
popvulture

2007-10-17, 15:59

Well, I suppose I might wait it out a little bit. This article suggests that the Penryn processors will be 4 core:

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/05/...yn-processors/

Would I be jumping out on a limb to suspect that this might indicate all future Mac Pros being 8 core? That seems like a pretty substantial speed difference...

Am I wrong to imagine this?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-10-17, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by popvulture View Post
Would I be jumping out on a limb to suspect that this might indicate all future Mac Pros being 8 core?
That is certainly conceivable.

Quote:
That seems like a pretty substantial speed difference...
The benefits of 8 cores aren't well-exploited at this point by most applications. Keep in mind that I/O scales nowhere near that quickly.
malcolm

2007-10-17, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Keep in mind that I/O scales nowhere near that quickly.
Chucker, would you mind telling me what "I/O" stands for?
Malcolm
chucker

2007-10-17, 23:34

Input/output. That would include your RAM, hard disk, optical drive, etc., but I was particularly referring to hard disks, which have made relatively minor speed increases. Thus, in many types of applications, your real bottleneck will be the hard disk, and no amount of CPU power will help against that. (Additional RAM will, to a degree, by caching hard disk data more aggressively, but even that is limited.)
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-10-17, 23:41

What about SSDs?
chucker

2007-10-18, 02:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
What about SSDs?
I don't think it's realistic that they'll even come as a BTO option on the Mac Pro.