User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

iPhone reception quality

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: How does your iPhone stack up in terms of reception quality?
I've had/have other phones on the same network and the iPhone is noticeably worse 3 20.00%
… is noticeably better 3 20.00%
… is about the same 4 26.67%
When I'm with friends who are on the same network but different phones, my iPhone gets poorer reception than their other phones 3 20.00%
… gets better reception 3 20.00%
… almost always has the same level of reception 2 13.33%
I don't have any friends or other phones to compare to 1 6.67%
I often have to toggle Airplane Mode on my iPhone to get reception 3 20.00%
I sometimes have to reset my iPhone to get reception 2 13.33%
Beer 7 46.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

iPhone reception quality
joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-02-25, 07:27

This poll was partly inspired by the AT&T wireless test thread, to determine how Applenovans perceive the quality of their iPhone's reception, as opposed to their network. So how does the iPhone stack up?
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2010-02-25, 09:09

Perhaps Carrier, Country and "Region" would be a good thing to add in post?

Vodafone, Australia (Brisbane CBD)

iPhone 3GS
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-02-25, 10:01

I can't really complain. T-Mobile, Germany, iPhone 3G.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-02-25, 10:22

As much as ATT's been maligned in the press over the last year, I've yet to have any serious reception issues. I do have to pick where I use my phone for voice calls when I'm at home but I think that's because I live inside a brick and metal building. If I stand by the balcony door (glass), I get full bars. Haven't run into serious issues outside of my home at all.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-02-25, 10:30

Almost always fine for me: iPhone 3G, Rogers, Vancouver. It did go a bit odd on the first day of the Olympics, but I suspect network overload.
CitizenTony

2010-02-25, 11:07

Dallas, TX + ATT. As mentioned in the other thread, some voice calls become choppy and hard to understand after a few minutes. Other phones like my old Nokias and friends and family have no problems.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-02-25, 11:11

I spent an hour and a half last night trying to send a text message from my bedroom.....nuff said.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2010-02-25, 13:41

I live within half a mile of the city centre, yet I can only get reception in one room of my flat. Mind you, I get no radio stations and no TV stations either (Cable is my saviour). I blame the extinct volcano that towers behind me, and not O2, or the iPhone.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-02-25, 13:51

Houston, TX and Charlottesville VA. Houston's about the same as phones I've had in the past, but Charlottesville is AWFUL. Most of my calls are lengthy ones to my family or my girlfriend and will drop about half the time.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-02-26, 07:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by HezMah19 View Post
Perhaps Carrier, Country and "Region" would be a good thing to add in post?
Well, the questions are supposed to elicit the quality of the phone, regardless of network...
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-02-26, 10:23

The problem is, it's difficult to tell where the problem lies. But it's interesting to note that almost everyone in this thread with complaints is in the US.
zippy
Veteran Member

2010-02-26, 10:42

I never had problems with dropped calls or call quality using my unlocked phone on the local GSM provider in MT - unless I was in an area where coverage was thin (1 bar). And those areas were weak on my Sony Ericcsson W810 as well.

I was always a bit unimpressed with the speaker quality of my iPhone - both earpiece and bottom speakers. I hope they improved on those in the 3G and 3Gs.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2010-02-28, 17:07

In the UK on O2 (for what it's worth) but my iPhone (3G) seems to have the same reception as any other phone I have had.

Sometimes it drops a call bit then again every phone I have gad gas done so, so I think that's more if a network issue.(?)

I must admit I am looking forward to HD phone calls. I hope the new iPhone supports it as carriers roll out the tech later in the year.