Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

WDS Network Doesn't Work... Can't See Airport in Utility

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
WDS Network Doesn't Work... Can't See Airport in Utility
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-03-17, 15:33

This is an odd one. I bought a new Airport Express to extend the network range of an Airport Extreme. I had the Express up and running, though it was just joining the current network so other devices weren't connecting too it. No problem, I pulled up Airport Utility and reset the Airport Extreme as the WDS Main and the Airport Express as the WDS Remote. That's where the problems came in. The Airport Extreme seemed to take the changes fine. I'm currently connected to it just fine. However, when I pull up Airport Utility, I can't see the base station. It's not that big of a deal considering it seems to be working fine, but it is bizarre. The Airport Express won't even take the changes and continues to flash amber. I can hard reset it and then see it in Airport Utility, but it doesn't seem to want to play nice with the WDS network. I seem to be stuck and at a complete loss for how to make this work and get the thing running. Hopefully you guys can help. Thanks!

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-03-17, 19:13

Sometimes when setting up a WDS, I've only gotten it to work by copying the Airport ID (aka MAC address) for each base station and putting them into the WDS tab manually. You should probably do another hard reset before trying this method.

Also, remember that all base stations in a WDS setup must have have the same wireless network name and be on the same channel, as well as share the same password & encyption type (if enabled).
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-03-17, 20:25

That's for the response. I'm not really sure what was going on, as the Extreme wouldn't reset either. It took a few tries but I was finally able to reset the thing and then create new settings using Apple's wizard. Once the Extreme was working properly the Express had no problem connecting to it. I don't know what setting was wonky, but it's corrected now.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
MAJB

2008-04-26, 04:28

Okay, I have a related problem that is slightly different. I have an Airport Extreme in my home office. I have a stereo in my living room and would like to play tunes on the stereo from my MacBook Pro using Airtunes.

I have an Airport Express that I bought over a year ago. I tried plugging that Express into my stereo and got a flashing amber light. When I launch the Airport Utility, the Express does not show up as a wireless device.

What do I do?
MAJB

2008-04-26, 04:43

UPDATE

Problem solved - I did a factory reset on the Airport Express. It then showed up on Airport Utility and I could join it to my Airport Extreme network.