User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

MAC G5 and CELL PHONES

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MAC G5 and CELL PHONES
thepolaras

2005-01-06, 21:58

How can I sync my cell phone(Sharp GX32) with my mac.. The software that came with the Phone is only for WINDOWS. Does anyone know where I can find the software for The mac or just use a third party peice of software for the sync.

Thanks
www.thepolaras.com
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-01-06, 22:08

Have you tried iSync?
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-01-06, 22:20

That phone isn't listed on Apple's iSync Devices page. Worth a try, but not that likely.

Surely there's a third party app out there that'll take care of it, though.
thepolaras

2005-01-06, 22:31

third party app! What would I search! .. IM sorta new at this stuff!
And where would that list be?
Thanks for helping
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-01-06, 22:58

Jeez, Sharp's website sucks... there's not even a mention of the GX32 on sharp-world.com.

Going to versiontracker, macupdate, sourceforge, and tucows isn't turning up any results, either (at least none that are easy to find).

Phone syncing is still a pain in the ass for a lot of phones, though...
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2005-01-06, 23:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
Have you tried iSync?
Hahahahahah!!

Like Apple would ever update iSync to support anything resembling a modern phone.

There is no syncing support for the Sharp phone. What you might be able to do is send individual address files from Address Book to the phone. More likely than not it should work, but then you have to manually update records as they are changed and manually add them to the phone.

Apple seems to have abandoned iSync and has decided to open it up as a framework so we can pay to have functionality that is pretty standard on Windows. Yay!

iSync is an embarrassment to Apple.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-07, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM
Apple seems to have abandoned iSync...
They seem to do that with a lot of their software. Safari, iChat, iSync, Keynote, and AppleWorks have gone a long time without updates.

I guess that's one advantage to using Windows for me... there are a zillion programs for doing anything, so I never have to worry about whether X is going to work or not. Then again, most Windows software blows chunks in comparison to most Mac software. I wouldn't be surprised if using Sharp's software is just as frustrating and time-consuming as manually moving all your contacts over. Hell, they don't just fail to mention that particular model of mobile phone on their site, they don't even have any material at all saying that they even make mobile phones!
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-07, 00:42

That's because they only sell TWO Cell Phones(England and Germany) ...

Really nice Smart phone tho

Quote:
Sharp GX32 (Asian Import)

The Sharp GX32 offers such advanced features as a 1.1mp digital camera, Bluetooth, Infrared and a vivid 262k colour screen, all in a 110g package.

Additional Technical Details:

Camera: 1.1 Mega-pixel CCD digital camera with 7 stage digital zoom and 5 picture sizes ranging from 858 x 1144 to 120 x 160 pixels

Display: Ultra-high resolution QVGA 240x320 dot, 262K-colour system CGS LCD

Memory Card: Removable SD Card for storing videos, music and pictures

Sound: 40 chord polyphonic ring tones

MP3: Play MP3s on your GX30

Bluetooth: Support for headset and car-kit profiles

Other features: USB and IrDA compatible, 65K colour external LCD, built- in flash

Quad Band (GSM 850, 900, 1800, DCS 1900)

Java™

Weight: 110g

Size: 26 x 95 x 49mm

Up to 400KB Video capture/playback

6MB Internal Memory

Built-in Flash/Mobile Light

WAP, MMS & GPRS

Last edited by morningstarrising : 2005-01-07 at 00:48.
zac4mac

2005-01-07, 07:50

Phones are disposables now - when it's time to replace the one you have, get one that's supported - I find iSync works as advertised. I got tired of manually entering stuff on my phone and got an SE T-637 last summer. Got a bonus of much better reception. Works great, Bluetooth kicks butt it's so easy; SMS straight from Address Book etc.

G5DP2/BT/AE revA