AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Have you been a crime victim?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Have you been a crime victim?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-05-30, 17:43

I thought it might be interesting to see how many times each of us has been a victim of crime.

I've had at least three cameras stolen. One was actually recovered by the police from a pawn shop in the south part of the city. One was stolen in the Lima, Peru, airport while I was in the gift shop trying to spend the rest of my Peruvian currency. I'm sure a friend of the gift shop salesgirl walked off with it, as she watched.

Someone tried to break in my condo two days in a row, shattering parts of the door frame. What a terribly vulnerable feeling that gave me. I'm sure it was teenagers from the neighborhood.

Teenagers did manage to get in once, by forcing the sliding glass door. Took some of my jewelry. I didn't have much to take, at that point.

Someone took the shade screens off the windows of my current house, trying to find a way in; but I had wooden dowels jammed tightly in all the window tracks, and the sliding glass doors have factory locks at the bottom.

Someone regularly filled their car trunk with my firewood. I had plans about putting some kind of rash-causing device under the top logs, but never got around to it.

My ex had his car stolen - probably by the people who sold it to him.

I have been followed by another car, which may not sound scary, but it was. I had never really thought out what I'd do in such a case. I finally drove to the police station, which is what I would do now, I guess.

Finally, I was assaulted when I was locking up my car after coming home from a party one night. Guy grabbed me from behind, said he had a gun, I screamed, he took off. Neighbors ran out. I think I mentioned this on a thread once before some months back.

Anyway, anybody else ever been a crime victim? Just wondering.

Thanks for any replies.

Carol
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-30, 18:57

No, knock on wood. But brings to mind my one "close call" scenario, which still makes me shiver if I think about it long enough:

When I lived in Nashville in 1997, I was approached at a convenience store one evening by two guys. It was St. Patrick's Day, actually, and I was stopping to get some beer on the way to a friend's apartment.

They watched me go in, I noticed, and when I came out, they approached me and were mumbling something about helping them out. I'd paid for the beer with my check card and truly didn't have any cash on me and put the beer on the roof of my car and was unlocking my door.

Anyway, they said something about "helping out with gas" or something and I said "man, I just got this beer on my card...I don't have any cash on me, sorry..." and one of them walked behind me and the one in front said "aw, you got SOMETHING..." and closed the gap between us from about four feet up to less than two (totally within my "personal zone"). Again I said "no, I don't. Sorry."

And he glanced to the guy behind me and I just remember getting a quick, hot and sick feeling and I just lunged out with my right hand and hit him in the throat and spun around to face the guy behind me who immediately edged back.

I grabbed a beer out of the 6-pack that was on the roof of my car and just looked at him (the other guy was leaned over and coughing/choking). I took one step toward the other guy, with the bottle slightly raised and he walked back toward their car and called me a "motherfucker". I turned around and the guy I'd hit in the neck was edging away too, looking at me.

A total first for me, but I think my instincts were dead on and don't regret it for a second. It dawned on me "what if they're going to their car to get a gun or something", so I jumped into my car, hands shaking and I remember pulling out and seeing about three people watching me as they pumped their gas.

All I thought about, driving to my friend's house, was SOMEBODY - either the two guys I confronted or someone pumping their gas - was going to call the police and I kept looking in my rear-view mirror for blue lights, which never came. Then I got to thinking "what if THEY come after me?" and I remember going out of my way to take some side streets and zig-zag around different streets for about 5 minutes until I felt sure no one was following me. I just remember my stomach starting to churn and my mouth was so dry.

I got to my friend's house, and while recounting the story I threw up. I guess from the delayed adrenaline/fear thing (I'm not one to get into physical confrontations like this, and can honestly count on, say, two fingers this kind of thing has ever had to go this far).

Did I overreact? To this day, I don't think so. A nasty convenience store in a not-so nice part of Nashville. Two guys approaching me, invading my space, one slides around behind me (were were out of the well-lighted gas-pumping island and around a bit of a corner from the main, busy and well-lit front of the store). When I told them I had no money and the "you got SOMETHING" comment...that was pretty much the clincher, to be honest.

All that flashed in my head was me getting jumped and my wallet taken and getting a 2-on-1 ass whipping. And then I'd have to walk around missing my wallet, credit cards, explaining my bruises, have my family worry about me, looking like someone who'd been beaten up and, most of all, hate myself for not doing something quicker and "taking it".

I reacted. If I was wrong, then God forgive me. But I don't think I was.

Your gut rarely fails in these situations, and I've been approached a bazillion times over the years, different neighborhoods, different times of day and night, etc. and NEVER felt like this. My neck tingled and my stomach swirled and everything about them just read "up to no good whatsoever".

Here's a tip: if you're in legitimate need of help, drop the threatening, mumbling thug routine and act halfway human and stay the $#*% out of my personal space and chances are you'll get it from me, since I'm a pretty generous, helpful guy. I've handed out cash, given money for pay phone, called a wrecker, changed tires, bought a burger and a Coke for people, used my jumper cables to boost people, etc. It's not like I'm some "bug off and figure it out yourself" jerk. Farthest thing from it, actually.

And don't walk BEHIND me, either. That doesn't help your case any, asshole. Had they both stayed in front of me, like normal, well-meaning people tend to do, things might've gone entirely differently. I wouldn't have felt so "closed in" and threatened. That's on them.

I mean, honestly...WHAT was asshole #2 doing walking around behind me (and only a couple of feet away?). If that's not threatening, fight or flight-inducing behavior, someone here tell me what is.

They might've legitimately needed help, but NOTHING they did gave that impression, so one got a fist to the throat, the other nearly got a bottle jammed into his face and I got to vomit all over my buddy's rug. A great St. Patrick's Day, huh? Wheee!

That's as close as I've ever come.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-05-30 at 19:06.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-05-30, 19:39

I had a bicycle stolen once, and I was the victim in two hit and run incidents where I was on my bike and the driver hit me and took off. The first time was when I was about 14. I was doing about 26mph on my bike coming to a four way intersection. I had a green light, a car was waiting to turn left in front of me. It started to go, then stopped quickly. So I got out of the saddle and began to sprint through to be polite As soon as I entered the intersection the woman hit me, essentially head on. Witnesses say I flipped over the car about twelve feet in the air, the bike disconnected from my shoes, and we both hit pretty hard. I slid about eight feet on the asphalt.

I couldn't walk for a few days, then I had to walk with a cane for the next three months. Of course they never caught the driver. The Police flat out said that if I had been injured more, even killed, they would have taken more of a vested interest in it.

Never been mugged or anything of that sort

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-05-30, 20:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
They might've legitimately needed help, but NOTHING they did gave that impression, so one got a fist to the throat, the other nearly got a bottle jammed into his face and I got to vomit all over my buddy's rug. A great St. Patrick's Day, huh? Wheee!

That's as close as I've ever come.
Wow. I think that's really scary. I'm so impressed at how you reacted. I just froze when I felt his hands on me. I could have been holding a grenade launcher and it wouldn't have done me any good, because I just froze up. I guess because I didn't see it coming and was totally taken by surprise.

But *your* reaction was amazing. Had you taken self-defense classes, or was your reaction just automatic in some way? I 'have' taken some classes by now, but I don't think what I learned would be automatic for me at all. I think one would need to practice particular moves on a regular basis, for them to become and remain automatic.

What made you go for the throat rather than his face? You must have had some kind of training for you to have made that move. Right?

I think they might have stolen your car as well as your wallet. I think you did the right thing. And yeah, coming up behind you was a dead give-away as to their intentions. It makes me shiver just thinking about it.

It's amazing how your body kicked in those warnings. It's like something right out of our cave-man past....a built-in warning system. Pretty incredible when you think about it.

Thank you for sharing that. It was very interesting.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-05-30, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCash
I had a bicycle stolen once, and I was the victim in two hit and run incidents where I was on my bike and the driver hit me and took off. The first time was when I was about 14. I was doing about 26mph on my bike coming to a four way intersection. I had a green light, a car was waiting to turn left in front of me. It started to go, then stopped quickly. So I got out of the saddle and began to sprint through to be polite As soon as I entered the intersection the woman hit me, essentially head on. Witnesses say I flipped over the car about twelve feet in the air, the bike disconnected from my shoes, and we both hit pretty hard. I slid about eight feet on the asphalt.

I couldn't walk for a few days, then I had to walk with a cane for the next three months. Of course they never caught the driver. The Police flat out said that if I had been injured more, even killed, they would have taken more of a vested interest in it.

Never been mugged or anything of that sort
TWO hit and runs. Geez. How awful.

The experience you describe is appalling. I hope that woman has nightmares her whole life for what she did. But she sounds like a total loser, so it probably didn't bother her that much, the stupid bitch.

It's good that the bike disconnected from your shoes, or else you could have had spinal injuries from landing tangled in the bike, don't you think?

One of my students was hit on his bike by a person turning. It was the Friday school got out for Christmas vacation, and the accident happened close to his house. His friend ran and told the boy's dad, who rushed there and held him as he died. It was terrible. He was having convulsions.

Were you unconscious when you landed? You know, you probably survived because you were so healthy from riding your bike so much. Most people probably wouldn't have made it.

Do you have any after-effects from that accident, or did you heal completely?
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-05-30, 20:54

I've been hit about seven or eight times total since I began riding actively when I was 13 or so. That hit and run was the worst, and the only bone I broke was my right thumb. I've been fortunate in not having many broken bones, just the road rash and damage to the bike is always the worse.

I blacked out very briefly... after the impact I don't remember anything until I stood up and grabbed my bike and trotted out of the middle of the street. It was at that point I noticed a few pedestrians staring in awe at my legs, and when I looked down that were just covered in blood. That was when I collapsed and couldn't stand anymore... just knowing the injury was there did that

No real after effects though. As soon as I was able to physically be on the bike I got back on it. Most of the times I have been hit have been from a driver failing to yield while making a left turn. Most of them stop, but some don't.

The worst recent accident I had was when I was run off the road in a downhill hairpin turn. Slid across the lanes on my left side and crashed into a guard rail at about 30+mph. Destroyed the wheels on the bike, really bad road rash on my side... and the most bitter part: The only person that would come over and help re-bandage me was my ex-girlfriend. Ugh.

Ah well, it happens.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
¡Damned!

2004-05-30, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol
I hope that woman has nightmares her whole life for what she did. But she sounds like a total loser, so it probably didn't bother her that much, the stupid bitch.
And here I was concerned that Carol wouldn't have the temperament for being an AO mod...silly me.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-05-30, 21:16

Quote:
I've been hit about seven or eight times total since I began riding actively when I was 13 or so. That hit and run was the worst, and the only bone I broke was my right thumb. I've been fortunate in not having many broken bones, just the road rash and damage to the bike is always the worse.

I blacked out very briefly... after the impact I don't remember anything until I stood up and grabbed my bike and trotted out of the middle of the street. It was at that point I noticed a few pedestrians staring in awe at my legs, and when I looked down that were just covered in blood. That was when I collapsed and couldn't stand anymore... just knowing the injury was there did that

No real after effects though. As soon as I was able to physically be on the bike I got back on it. Most of the times I have been hit have been from a driver failing to yield while making a left turn. Most of them stop, but some don't.

The worst recent accident I had was when I was run off the road in a downhill hairpin turn. Slid across the lanes on my left side and crashed into a guard rail at about 30+mph. Destroyed the wheels on the bike, really bad road rash on my side... and the most bitter part: The only person that would come over and help re-bandage me was my ex-girlfriend. Ugh.

Ah well, it happens.
Seven or eight times!!! Omigod. Dare I point out that bike-riding is a pretty hazardous mode of transport??? And I suppose you're still riding, aren't you? Tsk.

Well, you must have healthy lungs, and fantastic thighs (hahaha ), but I really do think you need to switch to something a little less hazardous. Any chance of that? How about at least a motorcycle? Not that they're much safer.

Sounds like you're not too crazy about your ex-girlfriend. Just think how many of *us* would come help - if we weren't hundreds and even thousands of miles away.

Seriously though, hope you will think about safer transport. Yes? No? Maybe?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-05-30, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
And here I was concerned that Carol wouldn't have the temperament for being an AO mod...silly me.
Damn! I knew I shouldn't have said that.
¡Damned!

2004-05-30, 21:21

After Roo saw Jack do the 'Disco Sauna' we never heard from her again.....
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-05-30, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
After Roo saw Jack do the 'Disco Sauna' we never heard from her again.....

I don't scare off so easily.
¡Damned!

2004-05-30, 21:31

Quote:
I don't scare off so easily.
Wanna bet?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-05-30, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
I'm still here.

It was funny. That wouldn't scare me off in a million years.

I thought the Virgin Mary song and the Princess stuff were funny too. Gross, but funny.
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2004-05-30, 22:05

Quote:
I thought the Virgin Mary song and the Princess stuff were funny too. Gross, but funny.
Is that a challenge because it sure sounds like one.

Oh, I've never really been the victim of a crime. Although I used to carry a token in my shoe in case I was ever mugged.

Who'da thunk that I could live my entire life in NYC, even before the Giuliani clean up phase, and was never the victim of a crime.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-05-30, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM
Is that a challenge because it sure sounds like one.
Um....well, it wasn't 'meant' to be a 'challenge' exactly.

(Carol senses she's starting to get in over her head - gulp. )

But offhand I would say that I can't imagine anything about sex that I would find terminally offensive.

BUT....that's NOT really a challenge, per se. Just a thought, really. heh
¡Damned!

2004-05-30, 22:22

Quote:
That wouldn't scare me off in a million years.
Then you're a better person than I. Just the thought of Jack prancing around in his camo-skivvies with a fake mustache and cowboy hat scares the hell out of me.

(Where the fuck is he anyways? I thought I could at least goad him into posting something...)
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-05-30, 22:24

I have had a jeep stolen and recovered, its tires slashed, its side keyed....

And then I got a volvo... so far nothing that constitutes a crime has been done to it...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-05-30, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Then you're a better person than I. Just the thought of Jack prancing around in his camo-skivvies with a fake mustache and cowboy hat scares the hell out of me.

(Where the fuck is he anyways? I thought I could at least goad him into posting something...)

Nah. I would clap and cheer.

...and hand him another beer.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-05-30, 22:30

Well, guys, I'm off for a nice hot bubble bath. 'Peaches and cream' bubbles.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-05-30, 22:40

Yeah, I went through a series of incidents about 10 years ago:
  • Gun in the face at an ATM/attempted carjacking.
  • Everything I own stolen (and I do mean everything - apartment completely cleaned out by an ex-gf).
  • Another apartment break in. Everything that I had accumulated since the first theft gone (likely the apartment Manager).

Nothing since then, but I do protect myself a lot better because of what I've been through.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-05-30, 22:59

Quote:
Seven or eight times!!! Omigod. Dare I point out that bike-riding is a pretty hazardous mode of transport??? And I suppose you're still riding, aren't you? Tsk.
Yes, mom.

Quote:
Well, you must have healthy lungs, and fantastic thighs (hahaha )
mmmm, yes I do, Carol.

Quote:
but I really do think you need to switch to something a little less hazardous. Any chance of that? How about at least a motorcycle? Not that they're much safer.
They're actually more dangerous. Higher speeds, they have to ride amongst traffic... and at the higher speeds, leathers and a helmet aren't going to save you so much.

Quote:
Sounds like you're not too crazy about your ex-girlfriend. Just think how many of *us* would come help - if we weren't hundreds and even thousands of miles away.
Well, I'd hold out for Jamie to come help, but you'd be a close second Actually, I don't hate her. I love her, and part of me always will. But I haven't talked to her in almost a year. She was the only person I ever lived with for over two years, so, eh.

I probably won't be taking up a new sport. I've got too much invested in cycling But thank you for your concern

Lee Ho Fook

2004-05-31, 00:34

Plenty o' crime, half the time by police.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2004-05-31, 00:57

Quote:
They're actually more dangerous. Higher speeds, they have to ride amongst traffic... and at the higher speeds, leathers and a helmet aren't going to save you so much.
I would think just the opposite. Yes, you have higher speeds, but you are traveling at the same speed as the other cars. There are fewer "smaller" accidents. One of the biggest problems I have driving with bikes is that the difference in speed is so great that is poses extra hazards. Well ok, that was actually a close second. The real problem are the few bikers that don't follow standard traffic rules. Unpredictability is dangerous too.

Devel's advocate: I pass hundreds of bikers, most follow rules and we get along perfectly on the roads. I don't have a target symbol painted on my front bumper. -I miss the laughing smiliy

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
craiger77

2004-05-31, 01:34

Nothing here all too serious, but I have been a victim quite a few times now that this thread got me thinking about it.

Hit by drunk driver running a stop sign 2 weeks after getting my drivers license at 16. No serious injury, but have never driven without a seatbelt on after that.

Stereo and other stuff stolen out of my car while at college. Insurance replaced it all.

Expensive rain jacket stolen from bed while in hostel in Amsterdam. Woke up in same hostel to find guy going through my pants...said he needed matches.

Levi jeans stolen in Khartoum, Sudan when left out to dry overnight. Stupid since they are worth a fortune in places like that.

Day pack stolen from American Cultural Center in Nairobi, Kenya. Had to leave at door and guard who was supposed to be watching was an idiot. Luckily nothing valuable inside, but lost addresses for people I had met earlier in my travels and regret not being able to contact them later.

Day pack slashed while taking bus from airport into Manilla. Nothing stolen because nothing of value inside, but ruined the pack. I would say the Philippines is the country where I felt most likely to get ripped off out of the 40 or so I have traveled to.

Wallet pickpocketed in Saigon while in a crush of people trying to get into the national cathedral on Christmas eve. Real valuables I keep in money belt that was safe so only lost about $20 cash.

About $200 in travelers checks stolen while in shared room in southern Thailand. Most likely stolen while I was in the shower by wacked out European traveler who was sharing the room. Replaced easily by Amex once I got to Singapore where I actually discovered they where missing. According to Amex they were later used in Sri Lanka. Years later I had to send documentation to Amex stating I wasn't in Sri Lanka at the time.

About $150 stolen while in shower while on ferry in Indonesia. Pants with money belt was hung over door...they had to reach over, unzip the money belt, and take out the cash. Pretty ballsy...if I had seen them doing it they would have had one pissed off, naked foreigner beating the crap out of them. This was on the first day of a 6 day cruise from hell to Sulawesi that went downhill from there.

The above ripoffs while traveling might sound like a lot, but I have spent a total of over 5 years traveling around third world countries where I am far far richer than most of the local people and find most to be very honest. I have heard endless horror stories from other travelers though so you do have to be careful.

Lastly, I had my Subaru stolen while parked in Seattle a year or so ago while I was in Boise taking care of my mother as she died of lung cancer. Just how things where going for me at that time. Was recovered a week or so later, but parked in front of a fire hydrant so I had to pay that ticket. Inside was pretty trashed. Ended up giving the car to Mexican woman who works for friends of mine.

That is all I can think of, but probably a few other petty things have happened over the years. Luckily never had to confront real threats to my safety. Traveling on rickety third world buses driven by suicidal maniacs on horrendous roads is what scares me far more than getting mugged.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-05-31, 01:41

You're travelling at the same speed as the other cars, but you're still hard to see. That means when an accident happens it can be pretty bad. My crashes on a bike have been pretty bad before, but it's nothing compared to what some cyclists and many motorcyclists have had. Every crash I've been in has also been the driver's fault, never has it been mine.

Idris

2004-05-31, 05:11

I've had the same bicycle stolen twice, most recently three weeks ago. Like Pscates, about half an hour after I discovered its loss I felt sick. I began to shake as if I were freezing and I couldn't stop for about ten minutes.

I've been mugged by a man with a knife, although it was more like a business transaction than anything else. I had about £5 on me. I wish I had punched him to prevent this.

I had my jacket stolen in a karaoke bar called 'Odeon' in San Francisco on Thursday, which was annoying. I had gifts in the pockets.

on sabbatical
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-05-31, 09:33

I've never personally been a victim of crime of any sort. Well, other than the minor criminal damage you get when you park in a student carpark on campus, and the P drivers can't steer properly... and the occasional death-threat as I wandered around the East End (nothing too bad, just cockney lads having a laugh). Canberra's a pretty tame place. I sometimes wish that someone would clean out the house though, I'd quite like to replace everything on the home and contents insurance.

As for bike-riding -- I think I'll stick to the bike paths for the time being. Particularly with the oblivious Canberra drivers. Still, things are improving for onroad cycling here. They've finally started putting in decent on-road bike lanes.

And on motorbikes: the only person I personally know who has died in a traffic accident was on a motorbike. They don't offer you much protection against trucks... For the record, he managed to rear-end the truck. It would have been much less nasty on a bike (lower speed). The one funny story coming out of the incident, as related by his girlfriend, was that the Victoria Police removed all of his bondage/fetish club membership cards from his wallet before they gave it to her -- but left the speed.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-05-31, 15:55

Quote:

Actually, I don't hate her. I love her, and part of me always will. But I haven't talked to her in almost a year. She was the only person I ever lived with for over two years, so, eh.

I probably won't be taking up a new sport. I've got too much invested in cycling
Well, I didn't realize cycling was an actual sport for you. I just thought it was a way you got around. If you ride as a sport, that puts a whole different light on the matter, of course. Danger is part of what makes many sports exciting. I like a certain amount of danger and risk. Always have. So please disregard my cautionary comments above.

I rode a motorcycle to campus when I was getting certified to teach. At first I rode on the freeway, but passing semi's would literally nearly blow me off the road. So I switched to surface streets. I don't have a motorcycle now, but I still have my motorcycle license. I'll never let that expire. I *love* riding motorcycles.

I like what you said about your ex-gf. I'm sure she still loves you too.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-05-31, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris
I've had the same bicycle stolen twice, most recently three weeks ago. Like Pscates, about half an hour after I discovered its loss I felt sick. I began to shake as if I were freezing and I couldn't stop for about ten minutes.

I've been mugged by a man with a knife, although it was more like a business transaction than anything else. I had about £5 on me. I wish I had punched him to prevent this.

I had my jacket stolen in a karaoke bar called 'Odeon' in San Francisco on Thursday, which was annoying. I had gifts in the pockets.
I'm so glad you're here, Idris.

Are you still in San Francisco? I love that city. I even love the summer chill and fog.

When you talked before about your bike being stolen, you didn't mention your physical reaction. That's pretty intense. It obviously *really* affected you emotionally.

God, I hate thieves. Scum of the earth.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-31, 16:50

Quote:
Wow. I think that's really scary. I'm so impressed at how you reacted. I just froze when I felt his hands on me. I could have been holding a grenade launcher and it wouldn't have done me any good, because I just froze up. I guess because I didn't see it coming and was totally taken by surprise.

But *your* reaction was amazing. Had you taken self-defense classes, or was your reaction just automatic in some way? I 'have' taken some classes by now, but I don't think what I learned would be automatic for me at all. I think one would need to practice particular moves on a regular basis, for them to become and remain automatic.

What made you go for the throat rather than his face? You must have had some kind of training for you to have made that move. Right?

I think they might have stolen your car as well as your wallet. I think you did the right thing. And yeah, coming up behind you was a dead give-away as to their intentions. It makes me shiver just thinking about it.

It's amazing how your body kicked in those warnings. It's like something right out of our cave-man past....a built-in warning system. Pretty incredible when you think about it.

Thank you for sharing that. It was very interesting.
I think the proper medical term is "scared shitless, combined with rising, unthinking anger".

Just a distinct feeling of a) "okay, something here just seems REALLY off..." and b) imagining - in the space of a second or two - my Mom having to get a phone call from the Nashville police saying "Mrs. Hawkins, your son was involved in an incident last evening, and...".

That precise thought - combined with the guy sliding around behind me AND the guy in front of me cocking his head and saying "aw, you got SOMETHING" just kinda sealed the deal, I guess.

No real training, other than being married to a Marine, working on a Marine Base for six years, knowing lots of Marines and, along the way, I've had little tips and things shared with me. My wife used to come home and like to use me as a practice dummy for whatever jaw-crushing, nose-pulverizing self defense move she might've learned that day.

Of course, she'd always stop short of any real contact. But I was always playing the role of "attacking from behind" and she'd wind up having me on my knees, one of my arms at an impossible angle and SO VERY THANKFUL that we were only playing.

I don't think I thought about a "target", honestly, as much as just jabbing out, as fast and hard as I could. I probably was going for the nose, but it ended up squarely in his throat, which was probably for the best, since he didn't seem to bounce back and retaliate.

And I was prepared to go toe-to-toe with his buddy behind me, but at this point I'd grabbed that beer bottle and was prepared to break it on the ground if needed. I think, honestly, he just though "WHAT THE HELL?!?".

But I was an idiot, because if either of them DID have a gun or whatever, they could've pulled it out, then and there, and it would've all been over.

I think the realization of that is what really got me torqued up in the car (shaking, nauseous, vomiting at my friend's, etc.).

Nothing cool or "bad-ass" about it, and I honestly, honestly hope I NEVER get into that type of thing again. Ever. I don't want it, I don't seek it out, I don't look for trouble, etc.

I just got scared, then mad. Then lucky. That's all. Could've gone a hundred other different ways, I realize, looking back and remembering.