User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wwdc 2014
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Jason
Veteran Member

2014-06-01, 19:21

Well, it's nearly here again. I must admit my excitement for these events has waned in the last two or three years. Hoping they'll show something unique that will get everyone talking again. The rumoured stuff doesn't exactly leave me feeling inspired.
Anyone else hoping for good things?
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2014-06-01, 19:59

Can't wait to hear/see more about OS X 10.10/Yosemite or whatever it's going to be called.
Wrao
Yarp

2014-06-01, 20:30

OS X 10.10 Excalibur!
http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...t=37498&page=2
Dutch Pear

2014-06-02, 06:25

I am pretty excited for what they have in store for the next iterations of iOS and osX. Am not expecting anything groundbreaking, but mainly solid under-the-hood as well as UI improvements.

Would not mind a good-old OMT though...
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-06-02, 12:43

Watching the Keynote. Clearly, this is Apple's answer to the MS one-device-fits-all solution: seamless integration between Mac and iOS.

AirDrop, HandOff, iCloud Drive: "Continuity."
Jason
Veteran Member

2014-06-02, 12:44

Dear God, did they really have to phone Dre?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2014-06-02, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
Watching the Keynote. Clearly, this is Apple's answer to the MS one-device-fits-all solution: seamless integration between Mac and iOS.

AirDrop, HandOff, iCloud Drive: "Continuity."
Yup. Also, using Spotlight like Siri to bypass Google and block their ad revenue.
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-06-02, 12:45

"Hi Dre, it's a goofy white guy that's awkwardly excited!"

"Yeah, whatever."
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-06-02, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
Yup. Also, using Spotlight like Siri to bypass Google and block their ad revenue.
Yep.
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-06-02, 12:49

Unless you live in Chrome, Android can't give you the integration with your desktop that Apple has on display here. Not sure where MS is at with Windows Phone and Windows 8, but I don't think they have anything like what Apple is showing. I wonder if they'll talk about another round of updates to iWork to bring it closer to parity with the desktop.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Dave
Ninja Editor

2014-06-02, 12:59

Quote:
Unless you live in Chrome, Android can't give you the integration with your desktop that Apple has on display here. Not sure where MS is at with Windows Phone and Windows 8, but I don't think they have anything like what Apple is showing. I wonder if they'll talk about another round of updates to iWork to bring it closer to parity with the desktop.
Depends on if the code doing the integration is part of the OS or "just an app".
Wrao
Yarp

2014-06-02, 13:03

Some good looking additions to OS X and iOS. But at this point all I really care about is that the crap actually works reliably, solidly and without mind-meltingly stupid crap laid alongside it.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2014-06-02, 13:15

My clients with families are gonna love Family Sharing. They've been asking for many of these features for YEARS.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-06-02, 13:23

A good mix of interesting features, and meh (aka gimmicky) features across the board in today's announcement. At first it looked like it was just going to be gimmicky, but there are some nice features like connectivity which really impress me.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-06-02, 13:24

I love the new leave/do not disturb feature for group texting. YES!!! Been asking for this for a long time because I get stuck in these crazy, never-ending loops way more than I care to.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2014-06-02, 13:41

This makes me want an iOS phone again. Bring down the *C by $200 plox.

Joking aside, I'm really excited about Handoff. At work I do personal surfing on the iPad, being able to bring emails and other work back up to my laptop sounds fantastic.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-06-02, 13:50

Swift.

I may have just audibly shrieked.

I r nerd.

Yeah, um... wow. This is basically SmallTalk 2014... which is what Objective-C started from.

Obj-C = C + SmallTalk, and as Craig said "What's Objective-C without C?"

Yeah. This is... this is good. And, it appears to solve the one problem SmallTalk always had: speed.

Color me intrigued.

(Oh yeah, other neat things announced I guess. )
Dave
Ninja Editor

2014-06-02, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Swift.

I may have just audibly shrieked.

I r nerd.

Yeah, um... wow. This is basically SmallTalk 2014... which is what Objective-C started from.

Obj-C = C + SmallTalk, and as Craig said "What's Objective-C without C?"

Yeah. This is... this is good. And, it appears to solve the one problem SmallTalk always had: speed.

Color me intrigued.

(Oh yeah, other neat things announced I guess. )
Yeah, same here... I haven't been this excited about development in a while.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-06-02, 14:03

I don't understand it all, but it sounds big. And I know why they streamed it...for all the developers who couldn't be there today (this thing sold out in about four seconds ). They wanted everyone to see. This was cool; it wasn't a consumer-oriented event (the online store didn't even go down, so it's obvious there was no hardware). But a show like this, there doesn't need to be. The times in the past where they've released new hardware at WWDC, that's been a bonus.

Much of the talk today (particularly the final 20-30 minutes) went over my head (I'm not a developer). But I can appreciate what they're doing. And they're making it to where if you have two or more devices - Mac or iOS - you don't miss a beat. Pretty slick, some of that stuff they demoed.

I do like the nice refresh of OS X. It looks nice and clean.

We're still 3-4 months away from final release of Yosemite and iOS 8, so lots more can - and will - change.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-02, 14:08

Crazy watching the audience react to Swift. It became very clear where the lame bloggers were and where the developers were. It was painfully obvious. The dude in front clapping ecstatically (Kick, was that you? ) was so clearly a developer, while two dudes to his left some random dude is like, "yeah, this is lame. Apple is finished. Can't wait to blog about it."

I bet Apple gets trashed all week for "lack of innovation", and the mainstream press really has absolutely no idea what Apple just showed. The same GPU running 10x faster because of software, and software coding drastically reduced in complexity and increased in performance.

Computers have reached a bit of a plateaux. It's now up to the software guys to make things more efficient, and it sounds like Apple has been very busy on this front.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Wrao
Yarp

2014-06-02, 14:08

I gotta say, looking at The Verge's coverage of this as well as watching the tail-end of the live broadcast. The Verge really isn't qualified to being a tech publication. Their reaction to swift and metal was so deeply cynical and then they pouted about there not being any new hardware. I'm not a fan of this whole 'tech-culture' lifestyle internet magazine shit. I mean wtf? did they forget it's a developers conference? Swift and Metal are the software equivalents of introducing a new iPhone and iPad in the same event. Oh well.
Wrao
Yarp

2014-06-02, 14:14

Also. I think iWatch is kind of confirmed at this point. The theme of today's show was all about connectivity, continuity, sync'ing and automation of shared elements. Cook's language and rhetoric was all drilled around that point and most of the features they highlighted were too. They benefit iOS -> OS X plenty enough but really I think they're laying the groundwork the expansion of their platform as well and a watch would require that sort of connectivity more than any other device. AppleTV as well will benefit from it. With the addition of Metal, the idea that AppleTV could morph into a game console seems more inevitable.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2014-06-02, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Swift.
[...]
Color me intrigued.
"The Swift Programming Language" is up on the iBook store now (for free): https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/swi...81256329?mt=11
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-02, 14:22

That was a great keynote!! Seriously, a lot of new stuff, and most of it wasn't gee whiz crap. Looking forward to the new functionality later in the year. Thanks for the link Dave, I'll d/l the book and look at it myself!! O.o

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Jason
Veteran Member

2014-06-02, 14:29

I like the continuity function. That would be a great help for me.
Jason
Veteran Member

2014-06-02, 14:49

The Health and Automation stuff was almost completely lacking in details; so much so that I almost wonder why they bothered even announcing it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-06-02, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Also. I think iWatch is kind of confirmed at this point.
I didn't get that feeling at all. If anything it felt as thought they were saying, you don't need an iWatch, because everything works together already. The iWatch idea is to fill a gap, but I don't see one.
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-06-02, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I didn't get that feeling at all. If anything it felt as thought they were saying, you don't need an iWatch, because everything works together already. The iWatch idea is to fill a gap, but I don't see one.
Another possibility is that Health is basically tailored to a wearable device and they didn't want to get too far into it before that hardware is released.
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-06-02, 15:34

I'm amazed by the number of tech writers that set this up as a do or die, can Apple still innovate hardware release party (and of course now the answer is "they can't, Apple is doomed"). I just.... if you have no idea what the WWDC is how do you get a job with mainstream publication writing about technology?

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Jason
Veteran Member

2014-06-02, 16:09

Quote:
I'm amazed by the number of tech writers that set this up as a do or die, can Apple still innovate hardware release party (and of course now the answer is "they can't, Apple is doomed"). I just.... if you have no idea what the WWDC is how do you get a job with mainstream publication writing about technology?
It's a very good point. Verge, Appleinsider, MacRumours, even Ars (a little bit) - they're all guilty of this. They rely on the page clicks, I guess.

Of course, by waiting until the fall to announce products, they create even greater (and sometimes unrealistic) expectations from the blogosphere.

And Eddie's '25 years' quote won't be doing them any favours.