Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2014-11-27, 22:39

I'll get on at some point here.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-11-28, 01:34

So the VM is running as it should whit the cleanup having been completed. I'm likely not going to get to the upgrade to 1.8.1 until Sunday sometime. Though I might actually try to get it done later Saturday evening. That depends on when my family leaves town.

So if you have items you would like to take advantage of with Bukkit you will need to have it done before then. I'm sure all will be well and no issues result, but you will lose your cash and such as noted earlier in the thread.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-11-28, 01:56

So T, is there some sort of "adventure party" for when you do the world wipe for 1.8.x?

Those are always fun.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-11-28, 13:31

At this point, not that I'm planning. I don't have the time available to really do anything like that at this point. If we want to hold off until next weekend for the update then I can probably make that happen.

@All Players: make no changes in Nether or The End. I'm starting to test some stuff to make sure all is well for the switch. Those will be two worlds I won't have to mess with if you leave them alone. Feel free to travel through them and harvest from the XP farm and such, just don't change anything in those world because those changes might get lost.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-11-28, 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Should we talk about the move? Let's talk about the move.

I have a rather bold trimming proposal that I'd like input on. I don't know everyone's secret bases or any builds outside of ~ 1000 either direction (sans portal), but since we have new blocks that are in veins underground I figured I'd take a shot at a Maximum Trim™ graphic:

We should regen most of the directional portals, since nobody has built around them yet. N and NE are flower farms, so, keep. W is the mesa mining area, but I think a regen would be good for that area because red sandstone and mesa caves. I don't mind rebuilding that path – I'm sure Ken would say the same. E is iffy because Tricia was plotting something out there and I don't know if she's started yet.

I'm *hoping* we'll get an underwater monument just W of our spawn in the deep oceans if we regen. If not, no biggie. We'll find one. We'll need a farm if we want to craft the new underwater blocks. I hate to destroy, but the closest monument to spawn is toast.

So, looking for some yea and nay and wtf with this. If there's an area that I missed please pipe up.
Is this still the plan for where it should be pruned? I think I need to do one chunk West of me now too with the new guy setting up shop near me. Any others? Anyone else know of a chunk that needs to stay?

¡Damned!

2014-11-28, 14:54

Ha! I was just about to pull that file up and make the change.

Yeah, the chunk W of Turtle Estates needs to be kept now, but other than that it's the same (afaik).

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2014-11-28 at 15:09.
¡Damned!

2014-11-28, 14:59

Speaking of maps… are we going to lose mcmaps with the move to 1.8? If so it'd be helpful to keep the current world map as a reference, much like you're already doing with the other past worlds and I'm sure you've already thought about this anyways so why am I even asking.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-11-28, 16:18

The map shouldn't be an issue at all. I do plan to make an archive of this one like the others too.

So I have made this world run on my laptop and run 1.8.1 and there I didn't find any issues (other than needing to change my portal direction at the mansion now). I even put my slaves to work on my crops. Did you know the kids work just as hard as the adults?

So no I just need to figure out which chunk files to clear and we will be ready. The only other thing that stands out is the Resource Pack. It still needs to be updated for the new blocks. I can't access the file area where Brad has then, but I can change where the auto-download happens from the server.

¡Damned!

2014-11-28, 16:44

I almost have a 1.8 BradPack completed, but there are a couple of wonky things happening while testing in a fresh world. Not sure if directional sand is a thing, but it's fucking with me atm. Regardless, I'll have it figured out shortly.

[edit]: I pulled most of the new blocks from Painterly Pack, cross-referenced the folders for blocks and checked the UIs and made sure they were gs and legit, plus put in the additional icons. Made some judgement calls with doors (I saw nothing that I loved in PP, so went legit MC, as well as a few other things like Monument blocks/pieces). Doors are a problem. I hate MC's and I hate PP's. We'll need to fix those later. I went legit on crystals/shards as well - the PP was close, but not quite right.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2014-11-28 at 17:01.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-11-28, 16:46

*pokes head out of the sand*

I just strolled around the world for the first time in... a couple of months? Anyhow, I remembered that once we upgrade, there's no going back to old worlds. If anyone has favorite old projects they'd like to see brought over to Cashout Cove, this is your last chance to call for them! I'll be happy to copy things around one last time if anyone would like.

I've always hosted my Resource Pack here on AN.com proper. I think the current pack should work as-is with 1.8; it'll just use default textures for newly added resources. I'm going to take a look at 1.8 this evening and compare with some of the other third-party packs I steal from and see if there's anything that would look nice to override.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-11-28, 16:48

Quote:
I almost have a 1.8 BradPack completed, but there are a couple of wonky things happening while testing in a fresh world. Not sure if directional sand is a thing, but it's fucking with me atm. Regardless, I'll have it figured out shortly.
Oh, maybe I was wrong about compatibility then! If you'd like to share what you have, I'd love to roll your updates into my personal copy. I've actually been maintaining a local git repo to track my changes over the last several major releases.

update: Thanks, Grey! I got his modified copy and am playing around with it now.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2014-11-28, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
If anyone has favorite old projects they'd like to see brought over to Cashout Cove, this is your last chance to call for them! I'll be happy to copy things around one last time if anyone would like.
Holy shit yes, I thought I'd never get to ask. The Museum. I know the exact spot. Plus, if you wouldn't mind, the Space Shuttle and the Saturn V.

Let me know when you're able to get online and I'll mark it off.

[edit:] I was thinking here:

It feels like a good place. Close to monsters, but science.

*note: The E planetary thing is not part of what I'm asking for, that was just me a few months ago looking at available land.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2014-11-28 at 17:43.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-11-28, 17:27

Go ahead and mark them now! I'm putzing with 1.8 at the moment, but I'll switch back over before long.

edit: Are the shuttle and rocket going with the museum? Because that would be awesome if you wanted to rebuild your backyard solar system model that we lost.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-11-28, 17:33

Also, I just realized that I *did* start working on a 1.8 update for the resource pack long ago, and it's what I loaded up for use on the server when we did the last couple of BattleNovas. So, I don't have as much to do as I was afraid.

The last time I updated when 1.8 was in snapshots was this version apparently on August 8th.

¡Damned!

2014-11-28, 17:49

Quote:
Go ahead and mark them now! I'm putzing with 1.8 at the moment, but I'll switch back over before long.

edit: Are the shuttle and rocket going with the museum? Because that would be awesome if you wanted to rebuild your backyard solar system model that we lost.
I was hoping we'd put them on the museum grounds, yes. I assume the Planetarium will come over with the Museum, and for sure, I'll be rebuilding the Planetary Path™.

Not sure how to mark the museum.. can I just mark the NW corner and you fill in from there? plus, i don't remember the height. should be the same though?

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2014-11-28, 17:57

Quote:
Also, I just realized that I *did* start working on a 1.8 update for the resource pack long ago, and it's what I loaded up for use on the server when we did the last couple of BattleNovas. So, I don't have as much to do as I was afraid.
Some of the things I almost got caught up on is the new UI stuff. The Enchanting Table and the new rabbit-foot charge icon. Tricky if you didn't compare the old/new.

I'm talking like I'm an old pro, when in reality I'm riding on the high of just figuring out how to do basic shit.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-11-28, 18:22

Quote:
I was hoping we'd put them on the museum grounds, yes. I assume the Planetarium will come over with the Museum, and for sure, I'll be rebuilding the Planetary Path™.
Planetarium definitely, as much as is there. I think *some* of the path was around too? I can't recall exactly. I'll get whatever I can.

Quote:
Not sure how to mark the museum.. can I just mark the NW corner and you fill in from there? plus, i don't remember the height. should be the same though?
Sounds good!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-11-28, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
At this point, not that I'm planning. I don't have the time available to really do anything like that at this point. If we want to hold off until next weekend for the update then I can probably make that happen.
I'm going to be busy pulling our awesome builds over from other worlds tonight and tomorrow. So, if you would wait until Sunday (11/30) at least, that would be great. Hopefully I'll be done by then.

¡Damned!

2014-11-28, 18:40

Yeah, the inner planets. They're close enough to the Planetarium where they should be swept up, but no biggie if not.

I marked the NW corner, but… is that enough? The height should be the same from Cactuar, and any groundskeeping is on me, so… what do I need to do? Should I be there? I'd like to be there. I have places for the space vehicles.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2014-11-28, 18:41

Wait, so are you back, Brad? You sound back. I feel like you're back. I want to hug you.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-11-28, 18:43

Quote:
I'm going to be busy pulling our awesome builds over from other worlds tonight and tomorrow. So, if you would wait until Sunday (11/30) at least, that would be great. Hopefully I'll be done by then.
First, good to see you back. Hope all is truly well with you and your family.

I don't mind waiting at all. I would rather you do it so I don't mess with your system. I'm pretty sure I followed your methods, you will see a 1.8.x-vanilla folder for the current 1.8.1 jar. I didn't move Nether or The End into their respective folders on the server, though I have on my local copy. I was only moving forward because you weren't around to do it and was going to try to stay consistent with your formatting on the server.

So the server is back in your hands then?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-11-28, 18:54

Quote:
Wait, so are you back, Brad? You sound back. I feel like you're back. I want to hug you.

....man, that just isn't the same without Bender's voice! I gotta figure out how to jam some html5 video elements into the forums one day.

¡Damned!

2014-11-28, 18:55

I want to be sure about the Nether-build ban, because I was just about to do just that. Just some path changes, so no biggie, but if there's a hard ban on building, let me know. I won't start until.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-11-28, 18:56

Quote:
I marked the NW corner, but… is that enough? The height should be the same from Cactuar, and any groundskeeping is on me, so… what do I need to do? Should I be there? I'd like to be there. I have places for the space vehicles.
Hold tight! I'm on my way now. edit: D'oh! Missed ya. I'll get started anyhow.

edit2: Maybe just give me a general idea where you marked it for starters?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-11-28, 19:24

Welcome back, Brad.

That's it. All I got. I'm in Drew land with all this .megablock move-to-switch-fest stuff.

Looking forward to 1.8. Let's dew et!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2014-11-29, 10:24

Oh man, what fun. CC has a bunch of new stuff going on! Fast food! Giant creepers! Loot Exchange! Gherkin! Mario Land! Super-tall-tree-thing/lookout! And more more more!

Thanks again, Brad, for doing all that. So much new! So much to do! I love it.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-11-29, 10:33

Nice stuff. I haven't been on yet, but I saw it all on the map. Glad to see Whammerstein has a new neighbor. I look forward to leading some creepers into that fancy joint!

Just wondering though: There's a dude down between the library and the Eiffel Tower. What the hell is he running from?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2014-11-29, 10:43

I believe he is a ska cactus. Cactuar's patron saint.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-11-29, 15:00

I was thinking through the places I have had and the builds I did for what I would want moved over that isn't already. I would like my bridge from Bridgeport over but I have no idea where to put it.

Maybe around here: