What are your purchase plans for 04/05?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2004-07-08, 19:07

Well feel free to add 2004 if you want.

Mac-
Likely the second gen iMac G5- That's why I'm very keen on what Apple announces in Sept. I'm likely to be looking at RevB of this model perhaps shipping with Tiger.

Communication-
Next Treo model (610?) I like the idea of the Treo but I want to see a better screen and bluetooth built in.

Software-
Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro 7,Motion,Keynote 2 (hopefully) and Adobe Creative Suite

Input
Wacom Graphire3 6x8, Contour ShuttlePRO v2 and a Canon A-75 Digicam

Audio/Video misc
Keystation Pro 88 plus a tripod for my camcorder.

Ummm no the hard part about paying for all of this stuff. Sure some things will slip but these are future purchases that I'm eyeballing. An unforseen product announcement could change this in a blink. What are some of you looking at opening up the wallet for in the next couple of years. Don't limit yourself.
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2004-07-08, 19:12

Well when my brand new 15 incher dies, I guess a PB G5 when I get out of college, four years from now. I won't have money for anything else.

"It's a good thing there's no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
EDS66

2004-07-08, 19:23

Apple 23-inch display, if it's good, and a BMW 325 xi. That will just about kill me.
Quagmire
meh

2004-07-08, 19:23

4g ipod 20 GB(assuming 15 GB is discontinued)

tiger

Powerbook G5 or powermac G6
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-08, 19:28

I won't be buying anything other than maybe some RAM this summer but, after that, here's what's on my hit-list for the next 18 months:

Hardware
23" ACD w/ ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Special Edition

Fuji S3 Pro (or whatever Nikon intros to replace the D1X)

Nikon Coolwalker mobile storage unit

Software
Tiger (derr!)

iLife '05 (GB 05 should alone be worth the cost)

DVD Studio Pro 4

Final Cut Express 3

Motion 2

Office 2004 (once the first service pack is out)

Adobe Creative Suite 2 (will be based on performance enhancements more than features; it seems breaking the 2GB RAM limit per app will not be a possibility as Tiger will only improve VM performance).

Maybeez / Luxury Buys
Epson Stylus Pro 4000 printer (or perhaps the replacement to the 2200, if one is unveiled).

Logic Pro 7 (if the interface is truly made Apple-like and the app easier to use; I'd like to have a real DAW at my disposal).

...into the light of a dark black night.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2004-07-08, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS66
Apple 23-inch display, if it's good, and a BMW 325 xi. That will just about kill me.
Nice. Very nice. Are you going to get the iPod BMW adapter?

Quote:
Fuji S3 Pro (or whatever Nikon intros to replace the D1X)
I'm a few years away from such a nice camera. That gives me time to get my Photography chops in order. Canon is supposed to be releasing the successor to the XL1s perhaps this month. Curious to see if they keep the interchangable lens.

Moogs I got a couple Logic 7 pics. They don't show a lot and you may have already seen them. Lemme know if you want them. There "is" a Final Cut Pro export option ....yes!!!!

Oh yeah Painter 9 is supposedly coming at Siggraph. Edu price on Painter 8 is 95 Benjamins, I might grab that since I'll have a Wacom.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-07-08, 20:22

Definitely a new powerbook. Maybe within a month or two if finances work out (and the wife approves it). Of course, then it'll have been about 4 or 5 months since they were updated and I may get into a waiting game.... The iPod deal they've got going now makes it seem pretty attractive to go ahead and bite the bullet.

How much could I get for a rev. a 12" (combo drive) with over 2 years left of AppleCare??? Anyone know?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-08, 21:56

Gee, I think I'm pretty damn set. In the past 9 months I've bought: a 15" SuperDrive PowerBook, JBL Creature speakers, Bluetooth mouse, pro keyboard, 15GB iPod, iCurve, extra power supply, AirPort Extreme Base Station, TechTool Pro 4, the Adobe Creative Suite (Premium), FontAgent Pro, iLife 04 and the GarageBand JamPack.

What I'd LIKE to do? Get that new 20" Cinema Display.

What I'd REALLY like to do? Get a 12" PowerBook when the line moves to a G5 at some point, and hook it to the 20" while at home, but enjoy the small, lightness of the 12" over the 15" when traveling or surfing around the house.

I love my 15" dearly (and will have it for at least another 12-18 months, I'm sure...maybe more), but those Cinema Display introductions have made me rethink some things lately...the prospect of having a tiny little kick-ass, next-generation (G5) 12" PowerBook mated to that 20" Cinema Display makes me coo.

But I'm set on accessories and software, I think. Oh, well there's always Tiger. I'll be getting it in 2005. No duh. And as with the Jaguar and Panther rollout, I'm sure I'll be lined up at the Apple Store, waiting on midnight, with all the other Mac dorks.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-07-08 at 22:32.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2004-07-08, 22:03

I've never been much of a fan of portables in general but I'm not transferring to a 4yr to finish my degree without one. I have to find a way to augment my salary to pay for this gear slut expenditure. Where theres a will theres a way.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-07-08, 22:41

I just got a new Powerbook(which I have to send back for repairs ), iPod, and Canon Powershot S50(this camera rocks). So I'm pretty set for major expenses, save for one.

A new desk.

The desk I have is something from an OfficeMax, and offers only enough space for my computer equipment. Now with my PB, I don't even have much space left for my mouse. I plan on getting a nice 72x30in desk, pushed right up against a bookshelf for storage.

Other than that:

iCurve
Bluetooth Mouse/KB
iPod dock
CF 512 card
CF USB Reader

And I also plan on upgrading to a faster DSL. I've been eyeing those 6/768 plans. I just wished I'd snapped it up when my ISP was offering it for 45/month.

I also want to get a better sound system. These "Pro" speakers just aren't cutting it anymore.

Last edited by Ryan : 2004-07-08 at 22:42. Reason: added something to list
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2004-07-08, 22:50

Quote:
And I also plan on upgrading to a faster DSL. I've been eyeing those 6/768 plans. I just wished I'd snapped it up when my ISP was offering it for 45/month.
That's a great deal! What is it now like $79 a month? Someday I hope to have that speed but I would only get it if I as sharing connection with family. Maybe by then I'll just get naked DSL and vonage for my phone service.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-08, 22:54

Desk-wise, this may or may not interest you...but I recently bought the best desk I've ever had...from Target. Here it is (it has a HUGE surface area, BTW...really wide, even though only 22" deep...I love it):

Here it is

And here it is in "real life", in my room. Again, not sure if it's your thing or not...but there is plenty of room for my PowerBook, speakers, iPod, a scanner (I occasionally borrow my Mom's Canon LiDE30), laying out papers/bills, etc.

They also sell a matching printer cart, in the same style, that you could put your printer on if there wasn't enough room on the desk?

As for speakers, I too had the round, clear Apple Pro speakers with my iMac G4. But I've had the JBL Creature II speakers since early 2004 and LOVE them. Plenty of volume and bass for my use (around the house, iTunes, listening from room to room if needed, etc.).
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-07-08, 23:33

Sooner: iPod mini
Later: G5 iMac - though it'll be hard to stop using my sage iMac as my everyday computer, I love it so.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-08, 23:49

No new computers for me. My 1.33 GHz PowerMac G4 is quite enough as it is . I've upgraded basically every component of it, so there's really nothing I need.

The only thing I will consider getting would be a 17" LCD. Hopefully a DVI one, for the superior image quality... then again, there are some VERY nice VGA LCDs. I've spent too much time and money buying stuff that I kind of want, and somewhere in there I should have gotten an LCD. My 17" CRT is one of the best around, but LCDs are just amazing. Plus I'll be living in a pretty small place later this summer, and I want to save as much space as possible.

I might sell my iPod if I can't fix it. In fact, I might call off the whole idea of me owning an iPod. I just never seem happy with them. Either I don't use it enough to be worth it, or it breaks. Maybe in a year or two I can get an 8 GB iPod mini or something (assuming the mini is available by then ).
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-07-09, 02:07

Okay. Number one would be a nice 1Gig chip of ram for this powerbook. Followed up by a 23" Cinema display, it would be an awesome college accessory, and I'll might have the spare cash since I'm not paying for school. A set of desk top speakers for this PB would be a nice addition I'l like to look into, especially if anyone could provide me with some suggestions on which ones to purchase. Once I finish this coming year maybe the most recent G5 Powermac, or if Apple manages to release a Rev B. G5 Powerbook by the time I will opt for that. Of course and sadly, these are all wish-list items, especially the BMW M3.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-07-09, 06:13

Well, since I'm waiting on a new PowerBook (there's nothing wrong with my Ti550 - but I've been told for GB and proper DAWs forget it), I have decided to purchase other non-Mac items in the next year or so.

First, I've been waiting for a decent tax return for many years, and I finally got it! So, I'm going to invest in a classic: not quite a Moog, but these guys kept the analog flame alive whilst Dr Bob was not producing anything synth-wise. I think I'll get it custom painted in silver for old time's sake. SE1-X

Next, I need to buy a flight case rack on wheels for my old modules and stuff. Good cases are expensive - but they're worth it! I also need a decent case for the V-Synth. I love this thing!

I'm intrigued to see what Apple does with Logic - but I'm an old MOTU fan from way back... I love their approach to interface design. So, when I have a computer that is suitably ready for it, I'll spring for dp4 and hopefully some type of decent notation package as well. (I'm presuming/hoping that MOTU is still around!) Presently, though, with the left over money from that tax return, I'll hopefully still be able to pick up a MOTU MIDI Express 128. (see it on their site)

As for Apple stuff, I guess I'll keep on waiting for a colour iPod with Bluetooth capabilities. I'd also like one of those new screens to match a new PowerBook - the 20" would be all I could afford, but heck, it's still expensive. :wow:

btw hmurchison that is a great controller. I have a PC88, but my back is telling me to sell it! Also - and this is the big plan - when my wife and I finally settle down and buy a place of our own, I'd like to dedicate one room to a studio. I have a Yamaha MP1Z that is a real piano with dedicated MIDI output/imput, so you get the beneift of a "real" action to control your synths and to also enable expressive performances to be captured by the sequencer. link Now I just gotta get my classical chops back up again!

All I want is a simple life
twitter
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-07-09, 06:59

i plan to purchase another term or maybe even a year of collegiate education. hoping to god i can afford it. next on the list is a new computer. thanks to apple, its assuredly a dualie. probably after the fall term is over tho. more distant on my list is a hog.
hbj

2004-07-09, 08:34

I'm thinking that instead of purchasing Tiger when it comes out, I will just get a new Powerbook with Tiger installed instead. Although it's the greatest mac I've ever owned, this rev A 12" does have a few shortcomings (GeForce4 MX ). Like pscates, I feel that a G5 12" with a 20" (maybe a 23") Cinema Display would be an ideal setup, so if something like that is available come this time next year, I will definitely get that.

Also, seeing as the iPod minis have finally made their way to Europe, I will be picking up one of those ASAP. Damn, it's been a long wait.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2004-07-09, 08:58

If Apple comes out with a headless G5 "i-Mac" then I'll buy 1 in '05.
Otherwise I'll stay with my B&W at home.

A new iPod to replace my 5gb in '05 is on mylist.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-09, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison
I'm a few years away from such a nice camera. That gives me time to get my Photography chops in order. Canon is supposed to be releasing the successor to the XL1s perhaps this month. Curious to see if they keep the interchangable lens.

Moogs I got a couple Logic 7 pics. They don't show a lot and you may have already seen them. Lemme know if you want them. There "is" a Final Cut Pro export option ....yes!!!!

Are you going to take any photography classes? If you have a good arts college nearby, I would recommend taking whichever course they have that teaches basic camera physics, composition, color usage, etc. If you haven't already been grounded to that degree, it would be worth it IMO. After that you could determine whether or not you personally could benefit from additional instruction.

As for the camera being "too good" for your skill level, don't think that way. A camera is just a tool, just like a Mac is a tool. If you're serious about photography and can afford an S3 (which should be around $2500-$2900), go for it. Obviously that wouldn't help you in a darkroom class, but having a real SLR in your hands when learning is MUCH preferable to having a programmed or partially programmed non-SLR camera.

You need to work the meter, shutter speed and aperture with every composition to really learn the craft IMO (the only difference with digital is the instant feedback and the different light sensitivities). With film-only classes things are a little different. You can get away with using a $300 SLR instead of a $1000 SLR because in the end, as long as the camera has a decent meter and you're using good film, that's all you need to produce good images (from an equipment standpoint).

[BTW if you wanted to stay lower priced with a digital SLR, the D70 is a *great* camera and is about $1200 with the lens kit (good lens too). That's the camera I've used as my stepping stone from film to digital, with the intent of going to one of the big bad Fuji or Nikon professional models later this year.]

As for Logic 7, I have seen what is supposedly the preferences dialog, and it looks just like Final Cut in that regard. Was only wondering if that look was spread throughout the app.

staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-07-09, 10:59

Well, I just updated my iBook, so things I'm vaguely thinking about include:

• Filemaker;
• 10.4;
• a UPS of one sort or another; and,
• a third harddrive for my MDD.

Other than that, I'm pretty much set, I think. I'll update my desktop at some point, but I'm in no particular hurry.

Boring, hey?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-07-09, 11:06

What is filemaker for?

Hah, sorry if thats a super basic n00b question guys, and thanks in advance.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-09, 11:11

Filemaker is a professional, visual environment for creating cross-platform relational databases on OS X. Check here for more information.

Staph: if you have or are getting a G5, I recommend getting the Back-UPS RS 1500 from APC. It's the only UPS mini-tower available that can handle the combined wattage of a dual G5 and a decent sized monitor, printer, etc.

kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2004-07-09, 11:23

Filemaker is a visual "database" much like MS Access.
It has many of the same pluses and minuses as Access.
It can be very useful for small projects.
It absolutely sucks when used on the web.
Unintuitive interface and pretty strange query builder.
Fairly easy for a mid-level computer user to pick up.

I've used filemaker in the past (I'm a DBA and web developer) and absolutely hated it. I guess that I was so used to SQL and the command line that I could not find much use for a tool as limited (for web work) as this.
I worked with many other people (secretary/management types) who loved filemaker because it allowed them to make a database (even though what they made was very poorly designed) of something and run queries against it.
Alex London

2004-07-09, 13:07

Logic 7, whenever it arrives will be immediately purchased as I love my Logic Pro 6.4.2 to bits. I'll get a new G5 in the new year, it'll be 4 years service from my DP 533 Digital Audio, I can't wait to have a machine that can take all the crap that I throw at it.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-09, 13:23

I've got a few things on the list...

1. AirPort Express. That AirTunes thing is just too cool to pass up, especially with a PB, it's just awesome.

2. External FW HDD for my PB. Probably 120gig so I can do better backups and have a little extra storage space as well.

3. If I can swing it, a 17" LCD for my PB so I can do the spanning thing.

4. 4G iPod, if it rears its head anytime soon.

Pretty short list of some pretty expensive stuff. Maybe I should get a job or something.

Come waste your time with me
EDS66

2004-07-09, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison
Nice. Very nice. Are you going to get the iPod BMW adapter?
Yep.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2004-07-09, 13:51

Mac+ Yeah I'm going to be a newbie player and I need something weighted more than a synth to strengthen my fingers. That Studio Eltronics stuff looks good!
Quote:
Logic 7, whenever it arrives will be immediately purchased as I love my Logic Pro 6.4.2 to bits. I'll get a new G5 in the new year, it'll be 4 years service from my DP 533 Digital Audio, I can't wait to have a machine that can take all the crap that I throw at it.
I think L7 is going to be up to the challenge. Apple's had almost 2 years to work on it since L 6.4.x basically added authorizations for the plugins. I'm still dreaming that Apple hasn't killed Waveburner Pro. Good audio editiors are becoming very scarce on OSX now with TC Sparx going bye bye. The Final Cut Pro export option has piqued my curiosity. I hate bad audio for video..anything Apple can do here to help is welcome.
swifty

2004-07-10, 01:07

2004, Like right after this post

Dual 2G G5
23" Cinema Display yummy
AE 6.5 production upgrade

Sometime when it's in the store
Motion v.1

A few months after Motion ships
Motion v1.5 free download

Motion v2 w/ paint and 3d cameras

I want Motion to kick some Combustion arse, c'mon Apple "move" me.
ulothrix

2004-07-10, 01:49

Just acquired, using my wife's new student discounts:

G5 Dual 1.8 (loaded),
new model 23" Cinema HD,
Miglia Alchemy DV (MacMall),
iSight,
Macromedia Studio,
Airport Express,
and Office 2004.

I am beside myself waiting for delivery of the G5 and monitor as it is like 20 days to get here. Wife get's the iBook to herself now, I saved a bundle.