AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Help me download everything from iCloud Photos

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help me download everything from iCloud Photos
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-11-03, 15:03

I need to download all photos/videos from iCloud Photos on Mrs T's account to back them up to my NAS. I have an app for the iPad/iPhone that will work through them, but it takes forever and we can't really dedicate the device to stay cross sync like that.

Mrs T's MBP doesn't have the +1TB needed to have the entire library downloaded locally nor can we really hook up an external drive to it to point the Photos Library to that and save it.

So, how can I download the whole library to a computer/NAS? Is there a command-line method out there? I can have the target be the NAS if that is the case. Given there are ~240,000 items to enumerate, something that can be done from a desktop/VM would be optimal.

I think I'll build a VM that has 2TB of storage in the interim to handle the processing without having to worry about actual computer usage. Given that, it can be Mac or PC for the tasking.

Ideas?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-11-07, 09:19

So I found a solution in a broken iPad mini I haven't recycled yet:

I put the iPad into Guided Access mode and have it on Mrs T's account. This is the Synology Photos app and the special mode that just does a "rapid" download and upload to the NAS. It goes through all of them to ensure everything is backed up to the NAS.

I did build a VM and it is currently downloading everything "locally" too, but then I have to manually export and import. While Synology Photos might be smart enough to prevent those duplicates, it might not and I don't want to deal with that if I can help it. Since this busted iPad can do this on ignore now, I'm golden.

The real perk of Guided Access is when the app crashes it just reloads and continues uploading! Also, no ghost taps which this particular iPad is prone to for some odd reason.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.