Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!
Page 24 of 25 First Previous 20 21 22 23 [24] 25  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2021-02-13, 09:21

There are, and big ones. Night Vision and Water Breathing potions are going to be a necessity when caving. World depth & height have increased by 64 blocks in each direction too, so the caverns get deep and dark very quickly. Should be great update whenever it drops (summer?).

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-13, 09:57

I think there is a Marshal now too? My son and I watched Minecon Live and they talked about this sightless beast down there that senses movement. Like a mole only big and powerful.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2021-02-19, 20:25

Yeah, the Marshal is the Big Bad lurking around in the deep caverns, but it hasn't been introduced in the preview builds yet. This last snapshot maybe offers a hint at how Mojang will transition old worlds to the new depth limit though. 'Grimstone' is a new block that generates just like stone, but from 0ish down to -64ish. My feeling is they'll just turn all current bedrock blocks into grimstone and then just let the world seed create the new stuff underneath. I don't know.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-02-20, 14:07

Holy smokes. I guess I picked the right day (yesterday!) to try out the new snapshot. I was very confused when I dug my usual stair tunnel down to what I thought was bedrock when I hit grimstone instead. I had to look it up in the wiki, and I discovered...

Spoiler (click to toggle):
It goes soooooo much deeper now. Negative 64???

I had read through the grapevine about copper and new cave generation, but that was a big surprise to me.

Copper seems absurdly plentiful wherever I started. Way more than iron in my first couple hours of play. I'm a little disappointed that copper is only used for decorative building blocks and not for any tools or armor, but it's still a really neat addition.

I still haven't encountered this new "Marshal" you're talking about yet.

I strongly suspect that the world generation will be like previous releases and only affect brand new chunks and regions. I can prepare for the usual world cleanup and delete regions we aren't too attached to, but I wonder if maybe before much longer it's time for a fresh world restart? Obviously we have a lot of mining and building invested in the current world, and I wouldn't want to just throw that all away, but I was thinking recently about digging through the various server modding implementations (Forge, Spigot, and even Bukkit) to check out WorldEdit for copying over structures like we'd done in worlds past. Maybe in a few months once this is released and the modding community has updated, we could start a fresh world for a while, stake some claims, and make a list of things to pull over? Thoughts?

Granted, I'm not insisting we do that. Honestly I'm just seeking some feedback before I go experimenting locally with those server mods.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-20, 14:57

I'm very open to a new world with moved structures. I think it would be pretty cool actually.
¡Damned!

2021-02-21, 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I'm a little disappointed that copper is only used for decorative building blocks and not for any tools or armor, but it's still a really neat addition.
Lightning rods! And a neat little spyglass too. But yes, I hope that there's a future with copper playing a part in an electricity/machinery update. Kinda like our old Feed The Beast modpack world - mang was that world a lot of fun.

I don't know how excited I'd be about a brand new world what with the recent massive Nether reworking, but we could trim the world down more than what we've been doing, if only to have as much deep cave generation as close to home as possible. Plus the new mountain generation would be nice to have closer to town (note that in the image above the ore goes up to 256... those are some massive mountains ). Offhand, I can think of a few areas: The 3 ocean chunks to east of the museum I keep saving and doing nothing with , the 2 chunks that led to Southlantis, even the 3 chunks in the NE that have the Guardian Dropper, Monument Tour and Ken's ink farm. None of those work anymore since monument data changed.

I would like to get a couple things moved out of there, but that's a future ask. (I've already marked and made spaces for moving, whenever we can do that sort of thing)

Ultimately though, if the upgrade to 1.17 just plops 64 new layers of bedrock underneath existing chunks, well, that's not very fun either. Maybe that does call for a new world.

So it goes.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-02-22, 09:35

Thank heavens they have buffed the emerald spawn rate by that much. They always seemed unfeasibly rare before. You'd come across a village but there was no trading to had.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-22, 09:59

Nether wouldn't have to be wiped if the over world is though the portals wouldn't align. I guess that would be pretty huge too.

Hmm... that does pose a challenge doesn't it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-22, 14:48

I haven't had time to play, so do whatever.
¡Damned!

2021-02-22, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Nether wouldn't have to be wiped ...
D'oh! You're right, it wouldn't. Well then, a new overworld is a little more attractive in that case – we can just rebuild the interior 'home' portals. As long as the main grid structure stays, that's the biggie.

So it goes.
SpecMode
Wait what

2021-02-23, 02:35

Well, if you do end up having to wipe the map at some point, at least I had one last chance to wander down memory lane for a bit.

(Long time no see, folks!)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-23, 09:05

:waves:
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-23, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
(Long time no see, folks!)
Lurkers be lurkin'!

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2021-03-15, 20:20

I’d be ok with a wipe of the overworld.

If we do so I’d love a copy of the current world to maybe eventually finish the work at Kilimanjaro. I’ve actually made some decent gains lately, but it is just too much to do in a reasonable time frame.

Plus it’s obnoxiously situated at the intersection of 4 chunks so it’s a PITA to drop into a new world unless in the middle of an ocean.

The Rink of Pain could use a redo as well.

Plus with a wipe I may entice two new players to join us.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-16, 10:45

If we do wipe, I want to make sure my island is brought forward (or at least my basement). That's where all my stuff is at. I don't mind starting the world over, but I do mind starting my self over. I think I said it in the last over-world wipe: I've already mastered the "survive long enough to build a hut" stage of Minecraft, and have graduated to the "build things" stage. So, I request all of my "build stuff" stuff.

Also, I am still just too danged busy for the server right now, so my requests will be limited to that.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-03-16 at 15:05.
¡Damned!

2021-03-17, 08:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I’d be ok with a wipe of the overworld.

If we do so I’d love a copy of the current world ...
I would as well. Once in a long while I'll pull up Bridgeport just for a walk around some nostalgia, and just last month (after a bit of hoop-jumping) I was able to load up our old Feed The Beast world. Wish I would've asked for some of the other, smaller worlds, but this has been our home now for... a long time. Cashout Cove and buying goods at the Market feels like ages ago. [edit]: 2013! 1.6!!

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-03-17, 13:04

Are we going to do a big adventure night??!!

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2021-03-17, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I would as well. Once in a long while I'll pull up Bridgeport just for a walk around some nostalgia, and just last month (after a bit of hoop-jumping) I was able to load up our old Feed The Beast world. Wish I would've asked for some of the other, smaller worlds, but this has been our home now for... a long time. Cashout Cove and buying goods at the Market feels like ages ago. [edit]: 2013! 1.6!!
How fun would it be to bring back Cashout Cove at random times with stitched in offline chunk updates (within reason)?
¡Damned!

2021-03-20, 18:34

Request! Could I get a zap of Creative Mode from one of the overseers plz? I need to bust out some unbreakable blocks. There's still a 'remove creative' button over at the space needle (I checked ) so I'm good to go with the erasure of powers. I'll leave my little dude online - whenever y'all have some time to log on for a temp boost. Thank you!

[edit]: Thanks T! Much appreciated.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2021-03-21 at 12:16.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-22, 11:26

Glad to see you on so I could do so!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-22, 11:32

Man, I wish I had time for this right now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-22, 11:33

Me too. It is my only real hesitation in going a new world. I envision is sitting dormant with no real growth.
¡Damned!

2021-04-16, 07:08

Well, Mojang announced that they're splitting the next update into two parts, with the new world height & depth not coming until the second update. New blocks & mobs for the summer, new world generation (and Warden, I assume) later in the year, and archeology pushed off for a date later than that.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-16, 07:37

Archaeology??? Okay I have to go check this out.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-09, 16:48

So, I did a thing.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-09, 17:00

Is it a map thing?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-09, 17:38

Yeah, but it can't seem to handle anything with 1.18 in it.

What's worse is that I'm still seeing the "Site down" page but I know the right code is there for the maps.

¡Damned!

2021-12-09, 18:23

Your uNmINeD map is still up at applenova.com/mcmaps/. It's still showing the 1.17 world (maybe 1.16?) and is a little rough zooming out, but it might be worth trying to update that tool? Looks like they're up to date with a 1.18 version.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-09, 18:33

http://maps.turtle2472.com

For now until I can get the DNS/caching thing figured out.

I'm going to look at Overviewer again since it does seem to be current. I just really liked the features in Tectonicus. It isn't totally dead, but clearly not under "active" development.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-09, 19:05

I was REALLY hoping this would work and I'd have at least two points of view available. Clearly this isn't happening with Tectonicus for now.

I'm actually building a new map maker server right now so I can run Overviewer. I ran it LONG ago when I first started doing maps but moved to Tectonicus because it had better and more features. Now it languishes trying not to die, and not very hard at that.

Overviewer is an RPM based install meaning updates SHOULD be seamless. We shall see.