User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Mail messages stay in outbox indefinitely, and never send?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mail messages stay in outbox indefinitely, and never send?
penguinjohn

2005-09-14, 18:24

If I compose a series of messages to like 4 friends, all with valid email accounts, then send them one at a time using Mail, I generally get an error message explaining that they can't be sent, and then the messages get sent to my Outbox where they reside indefinitely, and Mail never is able to send them. Yet with hotmail, the same messages get through. I have no problems with intermittent internet connection, and I leave my Powerbook online all the time I am at work, yet the messages never get sent. What gives?

Any ideas on why the messages don't send, or how to fix it? Anyone had anything similar happen to them? Thanks
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-09-14, 18:26

Your outgoing (smtp) connection isn't configured properly most likely. That is what causes that.

Can you send single messages?
pmazer

Send a message via AIM to pmazer  
2005-09-14, 18:26

The only thing I can think of is that your SMTP server settings are wrong. Have you checked them?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-09-14, 18:37

If you're sending from a mac.com email account, try changing the port for the SMTP server from 25 to 587
chinesebear

2005-09-14, 19:09

If you are using a secure SMTP server, the default port (port 25) is disabled by many ISP's in the states in order to cut down on spam. what is the specific error message that you receive? My ISP just cut off port 25 one day without any warning. I assumed it was my e-mail provider until i checked further. I ended up just calling the ISP and they turned it back on for me...after warning me they would be monitoring it for SPAM and such.

We could probably answer your question much better if there was a better description of your setup and the error you receive, however
penguinjohn

2005-09-15, 00:20

What sort of information could help you? I don't know much about ISP's or SMTP's. I just have a high-speed cable connection through my local provider, and I have limited experiece with Mail. I've been using it for about a month.

Let me know what would help.

Here is the error message, which I just got again once I opened mail here at home, after work.

Error

This message could not be delivered and will remain in your Outbox until it can be delivered. The connection to the server "smtp.mac.com" on port 25 timed out.

Does this have something to do with what you were both saying, FFL and chinese bear? How do I fix it?

Thanks for the help.

Peace.
chinesebear

2005-09-15, 01:05

That is exactly the information that we need Port 25 is not able to be used...and it has probably been disabled by your ISP. mine was disabled by SBC and i had to call them up to reactivate it. Is your e-mail through your service provider or through a third-party? I'm guessing since you are having a problem, you use a third-party to send and receive your mail. I would just call up your ISP and ask them to allow you access to port 25 again.

ok...just looked again and saw you have a .mac account. Try this first. When in mail, from the top bar open mail, preferences, accounts, account information. click on the bottom button which says "server settings" and change the port information from "25" to "587" (thanks FFL). that should work for sending mail...if that doesn't work, you'll have to call your ISP.
hope this helps...
penguinjohn

2005-09-15, 02:28

Thanks, FFL and chinesebear - for the tech help and the insight. I opened Mail again after changing ports around, and although I did get the error message again, I think the messages are now sending. If not, I will call my service provider tomorrow.

Thanks!