User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Apple Care: Worth It?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Care: Worth It?
Mac Donald

2006-03-13, 15:59

There is a general feeling amongst Apple people that AppleCare is worth the price -- at least, I think there is. Anyway, do people think it is worth the price. For example, I am mulling getting it for my new MacBook Pro -- but it is over 15% of the Purchase Price. Thus, there should be about a 15% chance that the MacBook will break down in the two years after the first year of warranty I already get . . . that seems way too high.

Usually, it is a given that after-market warranties are a big ripoff -- and are just gravy for a retailer. Why do people think AppleCare is different? Or why not?

Someone hacked my signature. I demand an investigation.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-13, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Donald
There is a general feeling amongst Apple people that AppleCare is worth the price -- at least, I think there is. Anyway, do people think it is worth the price.
Short answer: YES.

Get it.

You *won't* be sorry.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-03-13, 16:16

It's a rip-off for a consumer desktop, definitely. However for a laptop or for a professional machine you're making money off, it will keep you in business for an extra day and that's all you need.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-03-13, 16:32

ThunderPoit and his 14 month old iMac with a fried processor might disagree with that opinion... but to each his own.

As for the MacBook Pro, hell yes get the AppleCare. Wait until you've had it for 10-11 months and are sure you'll be keeping it for a while longer before buying it, if you like... no sense buying it and not using it.
WrestleEwe

Send a message via Skype™ to WrestleEwe 
2006-03-13, 16:43

I believe Applecare borders on the illegal. Well at least here in the EU.

My iBook has extended warranty and insurance from a third party. All bought from a trusted reseller. It cost me 1/3 of Applecare AND it's insured against theft and accidents (i.e. if i drop it in 2 1/2 years, or it gets stolen, I will get 90% of the iBooks purchasing price in store credit).

So far the main disadvantage is that Apple will not give me phone support, but then again, I live close to a certified apple centre, so that's not really a problem.

I do think that 3 yrs warranty/insurance is an absolute MUST for any laptop.

But I refuse to give Apple US$350 (EX VAT!) for 2 years extra warranty and the support they should have been giving me free of charge in the first place.

EDIT: Warranty related support of course, not the other, "i can't get my Airport to work" kind.

Last edited by WrestleEwe : 2006-03-13 at 16:48.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-03-13, 17:15

Yes, since the MacBook Pro is a laptop it's a lot more prone to having its hard drive shaken around and whatnot. If it was a Powermac I'd be hesitant, but with any laptop/iMac/Mac Mini it's probably a good idea to go with Applecare.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-03-13, 17:22

Lenovo charges ~$130 for an extra two years of mail-in warranty service. Their on-site warranty for the same length is much closer to what AppleCare costs.

AppleCare is much more expensive than it should be, but you should still get it.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-03-13, 17:40

Well, I guess Apple isn't exactly loosing money on Applecare. It's probably just like insurance. You pay a little too much, but you don't have to worry about suddenly having to spend large amount of money on a new MBP, because it decided to fry itself on it's 13 month birthday.

I'm more of a gambler, so I would probably not go with Applecare. I do back-up my data. But in case of HW failure outside ordinary warranty I would just fork over a new pile of money. I have savings for that. This reasoning behind this is that the average cost of repairs and replacement over time is less than the price demanded by Apple for Applecare. Which I assume is true, because otherwise Apple wouldn't make any money of Applecare.

But then again, it's not critical for me to avoid loss of my iBook. I have a PC at home and PC's at school. And almost every Apple sales point has an iBook identical to mine, so it's fairly quick to replace and do a SuperDuper™ to restore most of the data.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2006-03-13, 18:01

In response to the original question, I'd say, yes, particularly for a laptop. But fair to say that Apple gets a lot less flak (circa none) for Applecare at a time when other providers of extended warranties (certainly in the UK) are very unpopular for the value they (don't) add.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-03-13, 18:06

Any machine that's a laptop should have applecare. As far as I'm concerned, the G5 iMacs are basically laptops. They use laptop parts that are exposed to a lot of heat in a small area. They're a lot more likely to die eventually.

On a Rev. A product built on a new chipset? Yeah, I'd get Applecare.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-14, 03:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrestleEwe
I believe Applecare borders on the illegal. Well at least here in the EU.
As a fellow EU citizen, I'm saddened to see you spread such FUD.
kbk

Send a message via MSN to kbk  
2006-03-14, 05:36

I was also pondering getting applecare for my Macbook Pro. Do i need to get it straight away? Or do I wait a year (ish) before getting it?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-14, 05:44

You can wait until just before the 1-year warranty expires until you get it; it doesn't make a difference either way.
CD on G5+MBP

2006-03-18, 20:53

As previously stated in this thread..

• Do purchase it, for any Mac.

• You can purchase within the first year of owning the machine
(make sure on your receipt to see the date of purchase so you don't go over it by a day or two by accident)

• It could save you potentially a large sum of money if say your screen, logic board and some other component all go out at once.