Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

We just got struck by lightning!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
We just got struck by lightning!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
EmC

2006-06-20, 21:07

We just had a bad thunderstorm come through and lightning struck just outside the house. There was a huge pop inside the house like a bottle rocket had just exploded indoors. We had everything on surge protectors so we did not lose anything, but three electric outlets are now dead. I am glad I forced my dad to get the surge protectors for the entertainment center. There are too many things in that cabinet to have to replace at once.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-20, 21:10

Cool.

We've had more brownouts and crap since moving to NY... it's annoying as hell.

No direct lightning strikes though. Yet.

UPSs and surge protectors rawk.
¡Damned!

2006-06-20, 21:21

I remember as a kid watching this *huge* downpour from our front door with my family. It was night, and the rain was so heavy we couldn't see more than a few yards out into the lawn facing the street. Suddenly, a blinding light and ...*KABOOOOM*... the loudest noise I had ever heard. Lightning struck the transformer in front of our house, and my entire family did a collective shitting of pants.

My little brother was so scared that he tried to run, only to realize he had fallen backwards in fright at the noise. He layed there on his back like an overturned turtle with his legs frantically moving in a running motion. Laughed my ass off.

I still tease him about it.

So it goes.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-06-20, 21:25

I just moved to Houston (which is why I haven't posted much the last few weeks) and we've had some pretty big storms since I got here. Of course, those storms are big from the perspective of a Californian. I'm sure that to regular Texans, they're just light drizzles.
Quagmire
meh

2006-06-20, 21:45

That is how my Powermac 6100 got fried. Lightning struck the house, killed off our big screen TV and the Powermac. The Powermac 6100 still booted and crap, but it would crash as soon as it booted up. It was 6 years old. It was time for it to get replaced anyway.

giggity
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-06-20, 21:48

This happened to me three weeks ago. I had to replace two TVS, an AirPort Express and a DVD player.
ironlung

2006-06-20, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
That is how my Powermac 6100 got fried. Lightning struck the house, killed off our big screen TV and the Powermac. The Powermac 6100 still booted and crap, but it would crash as soon as it booted up. It was 6 years old. It was time for it to get replaced anyway.
What abt the big screen tv? Did you end up getting a new one?
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-06-20, 22:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
I just moved to Houston (which is why I haven't posted much the last few weeks) and we've had some pretty big storms since I got here. Of course, those storms are big from the perspective of a Californian. I'm sure that to regular Texans, they're just light drizzles.
Probably. I live in the Dallas area and I'm consistently amazed at California's weathermen describing something I would just walk out into as a "downpour like I've never seen". In Texas, a downpour is when you can't see 20ft in front of you cause there's so much water in the air.

You'll get used to it. I actually miss the storms if I'm away for a long time.
Quagmire
meh

2006-06-20, 22:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlung
What abt the big screen tv? Did you end up getting a new one?

Yes we did.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-06-20, 22:57

I've been within 20 ft of three different lightning strikes, and every single time there's been no loud boom just that single bottle rocket pop. It's even cooler when you can actually see when it hits; just a couple of white lines radiating out from a single point.

I really miss thunderstorms though. Two severe warnings in the last two days with a nasty squall line barreling down on us; only to have one split north and south of us and one fizzling out 10 miles to the west. It really sucks.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-06-20, 23:05

I love watching thunderstorms; there's just something so fascinating about the electricity contained in those mile-long nocturnal discharges, as well as the resulting sonic disturbance.

Never seen the strike point of lightning though, nor has our power gone out in the past 5 years.

You ask me for a hamburger.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-20, 23:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynical_rock
I've been within 20 ft of three different lightning strikes, and every single time there's been no loud boom just that single bottle rocket pop. It's even cooler when you can actually see when it hits; just a couple of white lines radiating out from a single point.
God, my close strike about blinded me, and did temporarily deafen me.

Blew apart a tree about 15' behind the tent I was in.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-06-20, 23:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Blew apart a tree about 15' behind the tent I was in.
That could be the difference. My strikes, although strong enough to touch down and leave a mark, didn't really destroy all that much. Just a pop, flash, and gone. I have seen some extremely nasty ones exactly like you described, but they were typically farther away (~100 yards).

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-06-20, 23:16

One of the only things I remember from when I used to live in North Carolina is looking out the window during a thunderstorm, and seeing a bolt of lightning hit the street outside. However, now I live in Seattle and there are almost never thunderstorms. It just showers for two weeks in a row.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-06-20, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynical_rock
That could be the difference. My strikes, although strong enough to touch down and leave a mark, didn't really destroy all that much. Just a pop, flash, and gone. I have seen some extremely nasty ones exactly like you described, but they were typically farther away (~100 yards).
Touch down, come on. Everyone knows lighting goes up from the ground and then back down again in the time you see it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-21, 01:12

Rabbit... waitwaitwait... you moved from NC to Seattle?? Where in NC?

I moved from Seattle to Chapel Hill 12 years ago.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-06-21, 01:51

I moved from Durham to Seattle, 13 years ago I think. I was only 6 at the time, so I don't remember much.
babelfish

2006-06-21, 02:21

Arghh this topic reminded me of the time wehn lightning actually struck out house!!!

LOts of things went poof!
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-06-21, 05:15

i don't think i've seen lightning in about 1.5 years
EmC

2006-06-21, 08:52

The coolest storms I have ever seen were in the Badlands. We drove through there and the lightning was amazing. I remember being in the backseat and being able to tilt my head up and look at the sky above and behind me. The lightning just rolled through the clouds all around us. It was truely amazing and awe inspiring.

I generally love storms and rainy weather, but this strike was a little too close for comfort.

Foj
Veteran Member

2006-06-21, 09:39

I remember one storm where I saw on one side clear blue sky and on the other solid black clouds.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-21, 10:13

Cool. That happened once when I was living in SLC, UT. It was dumping rain out the back door, while the front porch was sunny and dry.
EmC

2006-06-21, 10:43

Quote:
I remember one storm where I saw on one side clear blue sky and on the other solid black clouds.
That reminds me of my visit to Hawaii. The sky would be crystal clear, then it would mist for a few minutes and the sky would be just as clear.

I love in the summer showers we get here. You can see the rain coming from miles away. There have been several times I have been working in the yard and looked through the house to see that it was raining in the back yard. Gives me enough time to pack up and get in. Just in time for the rain line to roll over the house. Very cool.

Foj
Veteran Member

2006-06-21, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Cool. That happened once when I was living in SLC, UT. It was dumping rain out the back door, while the front porch was sunny and dry.
I was a bit nervous about these clouds, because I was in a car with my dad in The Middle of Nowhere, Missouri on our way to Colorado, and the road we were on led us straight into it.

It was cool to look at, but these clouds were nasty. Quite the down pour.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-06-21, 12:30

Here in Kansas we have some really wild electrical storms. Just a few weeks ago I was out late at night on my porch and I noticed lots of flashing around. I looked up from my book and saw some of the strangest lightning I have ever seen! The whole sky was almost constantly flashing with giant branches of lightning. The weirdest thing was that everything was SILENT! NO wind, no thunder, nothing. It reminded me a lot of that scene from War of the Worlds. I was pretty creeped out to say the least.
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-06-21, 12:37

Something like this??

EmC

2006-06-21, 12:41

This kind of stuff is so cool. I wish I had some high res shots of stuff like that for desktop backgrounds. All the ones I find are too small or are too dark.

World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-06-21, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj
Something like this??
It looked a lot like that, except the sky was darker. I love lightning though, it reminds me that humans really don't know much about how the world works at all... and its neat.
EmC

2006-06-22, 13:24

Exactly, I found that same image using google's image search. I just saw this story on CNN. Aparently some guy was struck by lightning while riding his motorcycle. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous enough without war of the worlds playing out around you.

CNN Article

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2006-06-22, 15:06

We had some awesome storms yesterday here in the Toledo area. Just over the border in Adrian, MI, they apparently received 8" of rain yesterday. Some areas of metro Toledo had 4" today in a span of about 90 minutes.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards