User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Who the f**k gets frostbite in June? I do.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Who the f**k gets frostbite in June? I do.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-06-22, 23:33

So, any doctors in the house? What's a good treatment for frostbite? I was icing my ankle and didn't bother putting something between the ice pack and my ankle.

This is what it looks like two days later. It's surprisingly sore to the touch. Anything I can do to ensure it heals well and doesn't fall off and die or something? Everything I found on the web was related to losing fingers and toes while mountain climbing. Not exactly my situation.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-06-22, 23:37

Have you checked WebMD? It's usually my first stop for medical stuff.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/8/1680_54260.htm

So it says:

Quote:
What Are the Symptoms?
  • For frostnip: White patches of skin that are numb.
  • For frostbite (superficial or deep): Skin that is white or grayish-yellow and feels hard or waxy; numbness; blistering, or blackened tissue.
  • Other symptoms include swelling, itching, burning, and deep pain when the area is warmed.

Are you sure it's frostbite/frostnip? Maybe your skin is just irritated.

Quote:
Most people recover completely from frostbite, though the affected area may be more susceptible in the future to discomfort from cold weather, repeat frostbite, and damage from the sun. The first line of treatment is to rewarm the affected area.

Frostnip can be treated at home. If you think you may have frostnip, get out of the cold as soon as possible. If your clothes are wet, change into dry clothing. Immerse the affected area in warm water (100º to 105º Fahrenheit) to thaw the frozen tissue. (Do not use hotter water, as this may burn your skin.) If warm water is not available, warm the affected area with body heat. For instance, warm your hands by tucking them into your armpits; warm your nose, ears, or face by covering them with dry hands.

CAUTION! Do not rub the affected area because this may increase damage to the tissue. Do not use a heating pad, heat lamp, stove, fireplace, or radiator to rewarm the affected area; these may warm your skin unevenly or may burn your skin, particularly if it's numb and you cannot tell how hot your skin is getting on the surface.

If the skin tingles and burns as it warms, circulation is returning. The skin may turn red but should not blister or swell. If the skin does not seem to warm, if it remains numb, or if it does blister or swell, seek immediate medical attention.

Frostbite requires emergency medical care. If you think you may have frostbite, get out of the cold as soon as possible. If you cannot get medical help immediately and there's no risk that the area might be refrozen before you get help, warm the affected area as you would for frostnip.

CAUTION! If the affected area might be refrozen before you get medical help, do not warm it; this greatly increases the risk of damage. Also, do not walk on frostbitten feet or toes unless absolutely necessary.

At the hospital, frostbite is usually treated comprehensively because its severity cannot be diagnosed in the first few days. Usually, patients need to be admitted. Initially, the hospital staff will probably do the following:
  • Rapidly warm the affected area in water for 15 to 30 minutes.
  • Remove blisters that contain clear or milky fluid, and cover them with aloe vera. (Blisters that contain blood may not be removed.)
    Splint and elevate the affected area, and wrap it in a loose bandage.
  • Administer ibuprofen to limit inflammation, tetanus toxoid to prevent tetanus infection, and penicillin to prevent other infection. Narcotic medication may be needed to treat pain as the sensation to area returns. If the tissue is already infected, you may need additional antibiotics.

Later hospital treatment may include whirlpool therapy and physical therapy to promote circulation. Surgery, including amputation of the affected area, is sometimes necessary. Amputation is performed only if the tissues are dead. This determination is typically made between three and six weeks after the injury.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-06-22, 23:51

Hmm, interesting read. I'll have to check out WebMD in the future. This is kind of an odd case though as I tied an ice pack to my ankle for 8 hours. It pretty much froze for at least three of those.

I have no idea if it changed colors/turned white etc. since it would have had time to thaw underneath the ice pack as it eventually warmed up. (those 8 hour ice packs rock btw).

Now it's just sore as hell and swollen up. Oh well, probably nothing. Figured we might have a doctor in the house somewhere though who'd seen this before.

Google is your frenemy.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-23, 00:05

Yeah, in truly frostbitten flesh, those white (and then black patches) don't go away. It's dead flesh. If it's still red, sore, and warm to the touch, you're fine.

Stupid, but fine.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-06-23, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Hmm, interesting read. I'll have to check out WebMD in the future. This is kind of an odd case though as I tied an ice pack to my ankle for 8 hours. It pretty much froze for at least three of those.

I have no idea if it changed colors/turned white etc. since it would have had time to thaw underneath the ice pack as it eventually warmed up. (those 8 hour ice packs rock btw).
ive never heard of icing anything for more than like 30-45 min let alone 8 hours......that cant be good in the first place
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2006-06-23, 00:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey
ive never heard of icing anything for more than like 30-45 min let alone 8 hours......that cant be good in the first place
You haven't had your wisdom teeth pulled, have you?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-06-23, 00:35

i did but that was....shit....8-9 years ago? i dont really remember iciing that long though. either way, 8 hours for an ankle? im not trying to call you out Alci, just simply saying/asking.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-06-23, 00:35

Why didn't you just put a paper towel between the pack and your skin? It wouldn't effect the temperature and it would've kept your skin from becoming frost-bitten. I usually get that type of thing when I'm out in the snow around my ankles, it will go away in a day or two.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-06-23, 00:39

It's a chronic problem with the ankle. The pain is severe. Wisdom teeth have nothing on this, and I had all four pulled at once, and they were impacted.

The ice wasn't cold enough to numb the ankle with something in between, it just feels cool, not cold.

I wanted it to be numb. While that goal was achieved, apparently there were some side effects to that setup.

Now I'm on some nerve deadening drug (nothing to do with the ice issue, results of some MRI crap). It has a nice side effect of making me extremely stupid.

Google is your frenemy.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-06-23, 00:42

Quote:
Now I'm on some nerve deadening drug (nothing to do with the ice issue, results of some MRI crap). It has a nice side effect of making me extremely stupid.
haha, im jealous....well not of the stupid part but the loopiness i guess you could say. i always enjoy a nice spice-up to my day. does several aleve or tylenol not help? i know i currently have a torn hamstring (long story and weird one too) but i didnt realize it for like 2 weeks, it just hurt and i thought it was pulled, but i would just take like 4-5 extra strength tylenol before my football games and i would just bare it.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-06-23, 00:46

I was up to 6,000mg of aspirin a day and it wasn't working any more. Tylenol and Advil did nothing.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-06-23, 00:48

damn......im sure the organs are loving you for that one, haha
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2006-06-23, 01:19

Quote:
It's a chronic problem with the ankle. The pain is severe. Wisdom teeth have nothing on this, and I had all four pulled at once, and they were impacted.

The ice wasn't cold enough to numb the ankle with something in between, it just feels cool, not cold.

I wanted it to be numb. While that goal was achieved, apparently there were some side effects to that setup.

Too bad your wife isn't on this board, if she was you'd need a huge "told you so," smiley installed.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-06-23, 02:49

Quote:
I was up to 6,000mg of aspirin a day and it wasn't working any more. Tylenol and Advil did nothing.
Morphine is your only hope... Hmmmmmm......

One stop short of that, and not an opiate is some derivative of Voltarol.
I have used that for broken ribs and the like before..

EDIT - If you check out the first page of my blog for today, you will see I just reposted an interesting article from New Scientist about Morphine.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Last edited by scratt : 2006-06-23 at 03:04.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-06-23, 05:34

6,000mg of aspirin a day?! I thought anything over like 3,000 was borderline dangerous for organs, especially your liver.

I thought fentanyl was the most effective painkiller?

Either way dude, get addicted to percocet or something, I'd talk to my doctor about getting something for localized numbness, and I'd go soon while you still have freezer burn on your leg to help convince the amount of agony you were in and what you were willing to go through. If he doesn't help, steal a script book!

Edit: Oh, by the way, ice works well to bring down swelling. Try 15 min on, 10 min off, 15 on, 10 min off though, not 8 hours on.
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-06-23, 10:01

I did the same thing once. Pulled a hammy playing softball. Put those re-useable blue ice-packs on it, and every time it didn't feel cold anymore, I got a new one. After about 4 or 5 hours I stopped.

Next morning, I woke up with a huge red, sore spot amazingly similar is size and shape to the ice packs.

To make things worse, my mother in law gave me some of those "healing magnets" and I taped them on - about a few hours before the whole thing BLISTERED!

It oozed for a few days, and it was such a pain to keep it wrapped, given the tapering shape of the upper leg, that I eventually went and bought some super-absorbant maxi-pads with the adhesive, and stuck them to the inside of my pants.

I still haven't lived that one down yet with my family.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-06-23, 11:30

Damn, that must hurt if you can keep ice on it for hours at a time. I feel for ya, man.