AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

I just may return to Cinema

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I just may return to Cinema
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2011-12-28, 17:33

The last year probably had me actually going to the Theater less to watch movies
than any other time before. I consider myself and avid movie fan but I just couldn't
really get up for many of the movies.

It's looking like 2012 may be a bit different. My current list of my Top 3 anticipated movies for 2012 are going to mirror many of yours as well. Here goes:

1. Prometheus- Hallelujah. When I first heard the name I was like "groan, not another Mythology film with overdone CGI. Instead I found that we're getting an "Origins" film in the Alien series that will contain no Xenomorphs! Instead we will learn more about the mysterious "Space Jockey" creature from the 1979 Alien film that was fossilized in a chair with a gun/telescope of some sort. We will learn why the Derelict spacecraft crashes on LV 426. We have a whole new story coming up that isn't encumbered with the current and tired timeline. Bravo.

2. The Hobbit- I read this book as a wee young boy and quite honestly I cannot remember near enough of it. I'm going to re-read the story before the movie and then enjoy yet another master class performance by Peter Jackson and crew. Certainly there will be changes that annoy purists but knowing that the story is going to be done well (based on the LotR series) is comforting.

3. The Dark Knight Rises -
Chris Nolan is one of my favorite directors and he still manages to deliver great product even when the budget of his movies rises. He must be adept at managing the influence of the studio and keeping his vision. I expect nothing but great things coming from the final piece of this Trilogy.

If anyone knows of any other great movies coming up please speak now.

omgwtfbbq
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-12-28, 17:40

Just in the past month or so there was Ghost Protocol and Sherlock Holmes and Tintin and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Artist and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Young Adult and The Muppets and Hugo. There being not enough interesting movies for movie buffs has not been a problem, methinks.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-28, 17:47

2012 will bring us: Yet Another Twilight Movie! Yet Another Spiderman Movie! Yet Another Men in Black Movie... in 3D! Yet Another American Pie Movie! Yet Another Bond Movie! Yet Another Bourne Movie! Yet Another Scary Movie! Yet Another Bunch of Remake Movies!

. . .

Well, Iron Man 3: The Avengers might be a fun romp in the theater, if nothing else than to see shit blow up.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2011-12-28, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Just in the past month or so there was Ghost Protocol and Sherlock Holmes and Tintin and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Artist and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Young Adult and The Muppets and Hugo. There being not enough interesting movies for movie buffs has not been a problem, methinks.

Aye

Maybe it's been more about my relative lack of finances than availability of good movies. I do need to see Ghost Protocol here soon and I'm contemplating reading the Larsson's Trilogy before watching both the Swedish version and 'Merican" version.

omgwtfbbq
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2011-12-28, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
2012 will being us: Yet Another Twilight Movie! Yet Another Spiderman Movie! Yet Another Men in Black Movie... in 3D! Yet Another American Pie Movie! Yet Another Bond Movie! Yet Another Bourne Movie! Yet Another Scary Movie! Yet Another Bunch of Remake Movies!

. . .

Well, Iron Man 3: The Avengers might be a fun romp in the theater.
Sad but true. Though finally Hollywood is bringing Ender's Game to us in 2013 and I'm reading the book now.

Second Tier 2012 movies would be

Chronicle
Avengers
Jack the Giant Killer

omgwtfbbq
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-28, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
Sad but true. Though finally Hollywood is bringing Ender's Game to us in 2013 and I'm reading the book now.
Ender's Game is a story I used to want to be made into a movie, but then I realized that there's no way Hollywood could make it without totally fucking it up, both for the plot and for getting child actors that could play the parts. I'd love to be proven wrong on this one, though.

edit: And a third: No doubt the genius editors would reveal the ending and the best parts of the story in the trailers. I hate modern movie trailers and find myself avoiding them more than enjoying them.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2011-12-28, 17:58

I've more or less given up on going to the cinema...since 2008 I've gone exactly three times: The Dark Knight, Avatar, and True Grit.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-12-28, 18:20

Quote:
Ender's Game is a story I used to want to be made into a movie, but then I realized that there's no way Hollywood could make it without totally fucking it up, both for the plot and for getting child actors that could play the parts. I'd love to be proven wrong on this one, though.

edit: And a third: No doubt the genius editors would reveal the ending and the best parts of the story in the trailers. I hate modern movie trailers and find myself avoiding them more than enjoying them.
This.

I would love to see Ender's Game in a movie but have little hope that this will be a good flick that's half as good as the book.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-12-28, 18:24

Quote:
2012 will bring us: Yet Another Twilight Movie! Yet Another Spiderman Movie! Yet Another Men in Black Movie... in 3D! Yet Another American Pie Movie! Yet Another Bond Movie! Yet Another Bourne Movie! Yet Another Scary Movie! Yet Another Bunch of Remake Movies!

. . .

Well, Iron Man 3: The Avengers might be a fun romp in the theater, if nothing else than to see shit blow up.
2012 will also bring us:

- an adaptation of the Murakami novel Norwegian Wood, which I am not interested in just because it's called Norwegian Wood

- The Grey, which looks terrifying and awesome and has all sorts of buzz

- a Miyazaki film, The Secret World of Arietty, from Studio Ghibli

- Tim & Eric's Billion Dollar Movie

- John Carter, the first live-action film by Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo, Wall-E), which will probably flop

- The Hunger Games (fuck yes!)

- a new film from Aardman Animation, The Pirates!

And that's just in the first quarter of the year. Yes, there's also Ghost Rider 2 and Tyler Perry's Good Deeds, but there's still a good number of fairly original movies over the next three months. And yes, over the summer there's Scary Movie 5 and Step Up 4 and MIB 3 and GI Joe 2 and Tyler Perry's The Marriage Counselor, but there's also Snow White and the Huntsman, the hopefully-funny Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, an original (and Scottish!) Pixar movie and ParaNorman, a movie from Portland's own Laika Animation (Coraline). And the year ends with a Disney movie about classic video games, Life of Pi, World War Z, Tarantino's Django Unchained, and the fucking Great Gatsby. (And I'm not opposed to yet more Bond, either, as long as Daniel Craig is starring. )

In short, I'm not writing off 2012, even though there are too many sequels and too many movies based on board games (Battleship, Ouija). Besides, sometimes sequels can be good. Batman Begins was once just another Batman movie, after all.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2011-12-28, 19:30

Quote:
The Artist...
Which is brilliant and hugely enjoyable! All must watch it.

Lars von Trier's Melancholia was also one of the most impressive films I've ever watched. I didn't see many films last year, but these two can salvage the year however bad the others!
¡Damned!

2011-12-29, 10:50

I am SO. EXCITED. for Prometheus. I've watched the trailer over and over and frame by frame.

SO. EXCITED.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-12-29, 11:04

Quote:

. . .

Woah woah woah....another Twilight Zone movie? Color me interested....
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-12-29, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Are you being sarcastic? I think Brad was referring to those fake vampire movies that have been coming out the last few years.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-29, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Yes! This one's based on that episode with vampires and werewolves!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-12-29, 15:07

Quote:
Yes! This one's based on that episode with vampires and werewolves!

*hides manuscript of story with vampires and werewolves*
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-12-29, 15:53

Haha no I was being serious. The original Twilight Zone series is one of my two favorite shows of all time.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-12-29, 16:58

My wife and I saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo just yesterday and enjoyed it quite a bit. It does a very good job of conveying the dark atmosphere of the story. The pacing and the script are very good. And the performances are top notch. I am not sure that this is the sort of movie that the Academy normally pays much attention to, but it would get my nomination in a few categories, including adapted screenplay and best actress.

There is only one point in the movie that annoyed me - a minor point which I can mention without it being a spoiler. In one scene, the main female character is in bed with a female lover and the camera pans on them as they wake up in the morning. Both are topless, but wearing panties. Why panties? Certainly it is not because the movie is shy about full nudity generally, because there is plenty of that elsewhere. Is it because this scene involves two women? What is the viewer supposed to take from that scene? That the two were just fooling around, and never managed to get their panties off? Not likely, given the context of the scene. That they had them off, but put them back on again before they went to sleep? Ridiculous. That mainstream Hollywood is still kind of prudish about lesbian sex, even in a movie that is pretty sexy otherwise. I guess.

Anyway, still a great movie. You can imagine them with their panties off.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-12-29, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Certainly it is not because the movie is shy about full nudity generally, because there is plenty of that elsewhere. Is it because this scene involves two women? What is the viewer supposed to take from that scene? That the two were just fooling around, and never managed to get their panties off? Not likely, given the context of the scene. That they had them off, but put them back on again before they went to sleep? Ridiculous. That mainstream Hollywood is still kind of prudish about lesbian sex, even in a movie that is pretty sexy otherwise. I guess.
The MPAA still considers depictions of homosexual sex/relationships to be more objectionable ("worse") than equally graphic depictions of heterosexual sex/relationships, ratings-wise, so yes, there is a very real chance that the studio didn't want to risk an NC-17 rating and the reshoot/re-edit/appeal process that would require.

¡Damned!

2011-12-29, 19:30

Plus they only allow one merkin scene per film.

Enjoyable movie, I agree. Definitely didn't feel like ~3 hours.
Wrao
Yarp

2011-12-29, 20:09

One thing I've noticed is that movie theaters are starting to become very good. A couple new theaters opened up near me and the difference in quality of everything from the seats to the aisles to the screens is night and day. Costs the same as the older theater too.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-12-29, 23:12

Quote:
The MPAA still considers depictions of homosexual sex/relationships to be more objectionable ("worse") than equally graphic depictions of heterosexual sex/relationships, ratings-wise, so yes, there is a very real chance that the studio didn't want to risk an NC-17 rating and the reshoot/re-edit/appeal process that would require.
I figured that it was something like that, but I was not aware of that specific MPAA policy. Absurd. As my wife says, that means you can show a woman fully nude and being brutally raped by a man and not risk NC-17, but two women in bed fully nude - not even having sex at the time (which the movie also omitted), that's a real no-no.

I have never fully understood the whole NC-17 thing, and my quick peek at Wiki did not help that much. I get that it restricts the distribution of a film, but how? Do theatres in certain communities refuse to show NC-17 films because of local pressure, or is it some sort of restriction based on theatre licensing?

Anyway, I think that it is terrible to restrict the portrayal of human sexuality that way. I believe that if sex, in all varieties, were more openly and positively dealt with in films (and elsewhere) that would contribute to general psychological health. And, relatedly, it would also be enjoyable to watch. I know that you can seemingly get all the explicit sex imagery you want elsewhere, but looking closer, you can't really. Try to find something that captures more than the mechanics of sex and portrays in high quality filmmaking the actual feelings - sexual tension and anticipation, love or even just affection, or even just real lust. You will find very little.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
denreil

2011-12-31, 01:12

The live stage feeling and sound effect are the great feature of cinema.