Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Why Don't I Understand Homekit?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Why Don't I Understand Homekit?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-08-26, 14:33

Because I really don't understand what it does, why I need it, or what it's worth.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-08-26, 14:38

It’s for IOT devices, smart lights, smart garage door openers, smart plugs, all that kind of stuff. Of course each one has its own app, so I don’t get why it exists either. I think the idea as to have a hub for everything, but it has’t worked out well.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-26, 15:00

The one thing I currently use it for is the Sonos speakers peppered throughout my house. It makes AirPlay super easy with my speakers being integrated in. Really, it could be any AirPlay speaker though, it doesn't have to be for Sonos, they just integrate well. The $100 ones at Ikea are just fine too. Generally the same hardware as the Ones (no voice assistant) with only a few minor differences.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-26, 15:41

I still refuse to shove my locks and lights onto the internet. Too much can go wrong.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-08-26, 17:33

Oh listen, I think it's wizard to control lights and televisions with my voice, and if Apple could prove to me that it could compete with Alexa in a more secure fashion I would look into it very seriously.

However: they haven't, and I ain't.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-08-26, 19:38

I love HomeKit. I have my exterior house cameras, door locks, lights, AppleTV's, some switches ect all run through it. It could be so much better but Apple majorly dropped the ball on it.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-08-26, 22:24

I read an article a month or two back which seemed to indicate that new energy was behind Homekit, and that new material would be coming out soon. I'll believe it when I understand it.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-08-27, 04:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I still refuse to shove my locks and lights onto the internet. Too much can go wrong.
You don't really need to do that. A Bluetooth accessory doesn't really have networking, for example.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-08-27, 09:25

All those Wifi/finger print/Bluetooth locks look great till the Lockpicking Lawyer on YouTube gets his hands on them and opens them in 5s with a magnet. They look fancy, but the locks are junk.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-08-27, 10:28

I finally took the plunge and installed some wifi power outlet adapters and light bulbs. Now my home office gradually shifts to warmer and warmer lighting as the day goes on, then shuts off to remind me it's time to stop working.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2020-08-28, 15:27

As someone with his fingers in the IoT world (I wrote the SENSR specification), HomeKit is a layer of security over the ABSOLUTE SHITSHOW that is IOT.

Alexa and Google devices don't give a shit about security. Data is sent in the clear, and you bet they scrape every damned bit they have access to.

HomeKit creates end to end encrypted channels between devices in your system, and works hard to keep your ID private externally... which is why, in the era of monetized private data, companies didn't want to go to it. Alexa and Google let them sell that data at whim, HomeKit doesn't.

HomeKit is the *only* IoT protocol I'll allow in my house. The rest are simply nightmares.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-08-28, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
As someone with his fingers in the IoT world (I wrote the SENSR specification), HomeKit is a layer of security over the ABSOLUTE SHITSHOW that is IOT.

Alexa and Google devices don't give a shit about security. Data is sent in the clear, and you bet they scrape every damned bit they have access to.

HomeKit creates end to end encrypted channels between devices in your system, and works hard to keep your ID private externally... which is why, in the era of monetized private data, companies didn't want to go to it. Alexa and Google let them sell that data at whim, HomeKit doesn't.

HomeKit is the *only* IoT protocol I'll allow in my house. The rest are simply nightmares.
Glad to know my instinct was correct. I've only gotten HomeKit so far.

Two apartments ago, the complex installed an internet-connected IoT lock from Yale. We had no choice. Later on, I learned my complex was their pilot location for a nationwide rollout of those devices to 40,000+ units. It connected to the internet via a hub they placed in my unit with a USB 3G dongle. Fortunately I realized it still functioned if I just unplugged the hub and left it disconnected from the internet.

I connected with some security researchers via Twitter after seeing a tweet from one I follow about the topic and realizing she lived in an apartment complex owned by the same company. Hoo boy we found some shit.

1) This major apartment management company had contracted with a 20 person startup to roll out smart locks and thermostats to all their units. That startup had exactly one (1) security professional on staff.

2) This researcher I connected with ordered some of these locks for herself. She and the local Defcon group went to town on them and built a proof-of-concept in which they could wirelessly unlock these locks. No internet access required, just broadcast the right message on the right radio frequency and they'd pop open. Zero authentication.

3) The manufacturer specifically advised *against* using this model in single-entry dwellings because the failure rate is so high.

There was more, naturally, but I don't recall all the details anymore.

The management company continued rolling out the locks anyways. I moved out when my lease was up.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-03, 15:09

Who wants Amazon to run their apartment?

I couldn't imagine actually signing a lease for anything with Alexa included. Let alone to have Amazon running my home.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-03, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
*snip*

The management company continued rolling out the locks anyways. I moved out when my lease was up.
Holy cow!

The day is coming, I'm telling you.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-09-03, 18:28

For those of you who have used Amazon, Google, and HomeKit, what is the user experience like?

Alexa is pretty dang spiffy at connecting to things (since we're all pals here and don't need no facemasks).

I really, really dislike using Siri now because it's such an inferior EXPERIENCE.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-09-03, 18:33

I completely agree that Alexa vs Siri is vastly inferior. I have a Sonos One that has Alexa built in and the only thing I have built in is my lights and it works amazing. Siri is so so. The best thing with HomeKit is that you can have everything centrally located in the one app. My door locks, lights, plugs, cameras, ect are all in one place. So convenient.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-16, 13:30

I was going to start a thread but this fits. I was trying to find out how to create groups in Home.app/HomeKit but there isn't a way other than by room. I really want to be able to play music "upstairs" or turn lights on "downstairs". What would likely be used most: "turn lights off in the kid's rooms."

Then I thought I should submit feedback on Apple's site about HomeKit or Home.app...nowhere to be found. What is Tim's email address again?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-12-16, 13:44

Isn't that stuff you can accomplish with scenes?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-16, 13:49

Not really. Scenes don't work with audio since it isn't a light. I did more digging and found "Zones" though. That is really what I'm after. You have to dig to find it though and apparently it moved from the last version of iOS.

An example that brought me to post the question: We wanted to "play Christmas Playlist upstairs". Without the zone we would have to list each room.

chucker

2020-12-16, 17:13

Oh, you literally want groups of rooms, I see.

I thought you wanted to group a bunch of commands.

(You could also make shortcuts, I guess.)

Interesting that zones are now a thing.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-16, 17:54

As *users* we know exactly what we want our automations to accomplish. Why have we not yet seen a product that accomplishes these consumer desires in an effortless method?

chucker

2020-12-16, 17:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
As *users* we know exactly what we want our automations to accomplish. Why have we not yet seen a product that accomplishes these consumer desires in an effortless method?

My lightswitches seem to fulfill that job rather well tbh