AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Magnet + TV = oops

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Magnet + TV = oops
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-07-19, 16:41

Well, I found out how strong these really are... I picked them up while cleaning, and then used the same hand to knock a dust lump off the TV screen. (I was dusting, it isn't like such clumps are normal around here... ) D'oh. I now have big green and purple splotches on the screen.

So... degaussing. Some TVs have degaussing buttons, not this one. Is it better to keep it on until it fades, or leave it off and let it 'rest'? Anyone?
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-07-19, 16:47

I have got one of these now it's in the band studio but it used to do that to my TV when it drove by (it has wheels!) at about 1,5 meter. Usually I switched off the TV a.s.a.p, and the effect was gone after switching it on again (and the bass-cabinet out of harms way)

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-07-19, 16:48

No idea, but I want some of those things, man!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-07-19, 16:51

So that's one vote for 'off' and one vote for 'who the hell cares about your TV man, I want the magnets!'
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-07-19, 16:54

Yep. In fact, is it really worth it to risk destroying your TV?

Mail me the magnets, and I'll ask around about your degauss thing.

oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-07-19, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
So that's one vote for 'off' and one vote for 'who the hell cares about your TV man, I want the magnets!'
My kids did it to our main set and it took a week or so, and that TV is on 12 hours a day. Now granted they didn't have magnets that big, but they used them on there for an hour or so before we caught them.

Mile 1
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-07-19, 17:15

I used to do this all the time, if you are lucky, you reverse the damage mostly if not entirely using the same magnets...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-07-19, 17:19

Yeah, I thought about trying that, but realized that since the ends aren't marked, I have a 50/50 chance of making it worse.

It's off now, we'll see if letting it rest for a bit more than just a few seconds helps.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-07-19, 17:34

Quote:
Yeah, I thought about trying that, but realized that since the ends aren't marked, I have a 50/50 chance of making it worse.

It's off now, we'll see if letting it rest for a bit more than just a few seconds helps.
Well if it doesn't fix the problem Sponge Bob really takes on a whole new look.

Trust me I know...
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-07-19, 18:06

I heard on a local Chicago radio station (WGN Radio) that if you take a magnet (not unlike the one you used already) and start at the outer edge of the tube and swirl it in a clockwise motion going toward the middle of the tube, than when you get to the center of the tube, pull straight out. Apparently it works. That said, if you chose this method, I expunge myself completely of responsibility.

Come waste your time with me
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-07-19, 18:12

Sounds like ineffective birth control.

OTOH, leaving it off seems to let it fade.

Last edited by Kickaha : 2005-07-19 at 18:23.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-07-19, 18:28

BTW, those magnets are awesome. Would you recommend buying them? I'm a huge geek and things like this excite me, I just wouldn't want to blow money on something that I got excited about once.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-07-19, 18:41

Okay, I seriously need these magnets. I'm too big of a geek to handle this. Ugh, when did this happen? Can I even buy them in the US?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-07-19, 18:43

Yeah, but I dunno where. My wife got me them for Xmas last year. I must have spent an hour just playing with them on the floor after opening them.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-07-19, 18:47

You should be glad you kept those things clear of your nipple rings, Kick.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-07-19, 18:50

Naw, they're titanium, non-magnetic.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-07-19, 18:58

I'm a huge geek now, I just ordered them. I can't wait to get them and play with them.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-07-19, 19:04

I need those magnets.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-07-19, 19:06

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-07-19, 19:38

Ack! I love that book!

(Wrao's comic comes from a book of suicidal bunnies. It's a *riot*.)
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-07-19, 19:45

If you keep the magnet decently from the TV and run it around you can greatly reduce what you did, and then it'll go away by itself in a little while.

At least that's always worked for me.

Not sure if it's all of them, but some of the bunny suicides at least can be found here

Last edited by ast3r3x : 2005-07-19 at 19:49.
¡Damned!

2005-07-19, 19:53

Quote:
Ack! I love that book!

(Wrao's comic comes from a book of suicidal bunnies. It's a *riot*.)
Actually, there's two books. Good Stuff™.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-07-19, 20:05

Reminds me of Gary Larson.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-07-19, 20:17

I was going to order a pair of those, but they want more to ship them here than they cost. Bastards.

I'll probably end up getting one of you guys to buy them for me and mail them up.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2005-07-19, 20:36

shit kick, depending on how big of a tv it is, take it to best buy, they've got a degausser right behind the counter. last time i was there, they did it for free. much safer bet, as it is very very difficult to completely get rid of the discolorization easily, and after a while, you can have a subtle, but permanent effect
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-07-19, 21:16

Actually, turning it for a couple of hours seems to have taken care of 95% of it - there's a subtle color gradation left, but I had to point it out to my wife before she saw it.

I figure off overnight should do the trick. If not, I'll consider taking it in. (OTOH, it's a 1980 Sanyo 19" with no remote that shocks you if you touch a particular screw on the back while it's on.)
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-07-19, 21:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
If you keep the magnet decently from the TV and run it around you can greatly reduce what you did, and then it'll go away by itself in a little while.

At least that's always worked for me.

Not sure if it's all of them, but some of the bunny suicides at least can be found here
If you can't find a shop that will de-gauss it, then what ast3r3x said. I found that out many moons ago when I screwed up the tv when my parents were out.. Armed with only the magnets that I had done it with I managed to hide the damage before my parents got home... You have to sort of act like a slightly effeminate hair dresser and dance around the tv pretending to snip the hair here, brush back there etc.. until the marks are gone!!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-07-19, 21:49

Quote:
(OTOH, it's a 1980 Sanyo 19" with no remote that shocks you if you touch a particular screw on the back while it's on.)
You think you have it bad... mine's only 20 years old (23" Zenith fake woodgrain with remote), but it makes blue sparks inside continuously. If you close the window, you can smell ozone accumulating after a while.

You ask me for a hamburger.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2005-07-19, 23:26

gotta love how long those old ones last eh? now something as simple as a pumpkin can take a tv out :P
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-07-20, 00:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
I need those magnets.
I ordered a pair of them from here pretty much as soon as I saw this thread. $25 US shipped, so it's not so bad. The site says they should be here Friday, I can't explain how excited I am.

(Although, you should have seen my girlfriend's face when I tried explaining to her what I bought. She wasn't nearly as excited as I was, and I couldn't understand why. I justify it by saying they're a "I just got a job" present. She'll never understand me, good thing we're breaking up.