Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

This software cannot be installed on this computer

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
This software cannot be installed on this computer
chantman

2007-02-03, 17:03

Hi All,

I borrowed a Mac Mini from a friend so I could see how it looks hooked to my HDTV (considering the mini for a media center).

He had OSX server loaded on it. I put in my 10.4.5 CD that came with my MBP and booted to that. After the installer starts I get this message: "This software cannot be installed on this computer."

I've tried formatting the drive and it still does not work. Do I have to get an OSX CD specifically for a Mac Mini????

Thanks in Advance,

-Chantman
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-02-03, 17:08

Yes, or at least one that isn't for the Macbook. There are machine specific drivers that aren't on the MBP disc that you need and vice versa.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-02-03, 17:59

In other words you need to buy a commercial MacOSX disk...
v.noir

2007-02-03, 20:50

Hope your friend doesn't mind that you formatted his hard drive, dude. If you can't find a retail Tiger CD, then you must find the restore disc that came with your friend's computer, or one just like it.

If it's an Intel Mini, then you might HAVE to find the restore disc - isn't the retail version of Tiger PPC only? Everyone who has an Intel Mac should have Tiger already I guess.

...and all the wolves were found upside-down in a box!
chantman

2007-02-06, 18:19

Ok, so my friend gave me a sealed copy of OSX (the disc says 10.4.6).

Anyways, when I try to boot from it, I get the folder question mark icon flashing. It's like I can't boot to a retail install DVD for OSX.

I've tried resetting the PRAM.

Any ideas???

-Chantman
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-02-06, 18:24

There are no retail client versions of Mac OS X on Intel (or Universal) yet. The only two retail variants (Family Packs aside) of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger are Mac OS X for PowerPC and Mac OS X Server Universal. This will likely change with Leopard.

Your friend's 10.4.6 disc, if retail, is most probably PowerPC-only.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-02-06, 19:55

*Thinks to self: "What a clusterfuck."*
chantman

2007-02-06, 23:06

Not sure who you're referring to as a clusterfuck.

Anyways, Chucker, that makes sense about it being PPC. Any way I can do some hoodoo magic with booting to another machine first (my MBP via firewire) and then running the installer?

-Chantman
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-02-06, 23:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chantman View Post
Any way I can do some hoodoo magic with booting to another machine first (my MBP via firewire) and then running the installer?
No. To fix his machine, you'll have to get the Mac OS X install discs that he used. Either the grey "restore" discs that came with his Mac mini or his Mac OS X Server install discs will do the trick.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-02-06, 23:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chantman View Post
Not sure who you're referring to as a clusterfuck.

Anyways, Chucker, that makes sense about it being PPC. Any way I can do some hoodoo magic with booting to another machine first (my MBP via firewire) and then running the installer?

-Chantman
No. It's not just that the booting is PPC-only; most of the packages on the CD are as well.

…this Mac mini is an Intel-based one, right?
chantman

2007-02-07, 12:46

Yes, it's Intel Based (Core Duo).

I'll see if I can get him to dig up the original Tiger disks that came with it. I really just want to see how it looks hooked up to my TV (My MBP was too dark). So, maybe I could have just did that with the OSX Server installed.

-Chantman
danielsza

Send a message via AIM to danielsza Send a message via MSN to danielsza  
2007-02-07, 12:57

Do you have a firewire cable? If you do, then boot the mini into target disk mode, connect it to your MacBook Pro. Boot your MBP off the install disks for it, install it onto the mini's hard drive. When it's done run all the updates and you can reboot the mini and it should be working fine.
rminkler

2007-02-07, 13:58

OS X Server is largely the same as the desktop version.