User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 138 of 222 First Previous 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142  Next Last Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-06-08, 19:32

Seems good to me, let them keep using the tapped Messenger app, the more we lock up the better.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-06-10, 09:16

Meat plant gets ransomware attack and pays the bill even though they reverted to backups.

What is the point in having backups if you're just going to pay the ransom? I mean, it isn't as though you're going to trust the system the "unlocked" the ransomware encryption.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-06-10, 09:18

Depending on how new/old the backups are they may have the ransomware as well. It’s not uncommon to hear that the software installs long before it is executed to make sure that backups are also compromised.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-06-10, 09:23

True, but if you can get to the files in a non-encrypted format and then you can restore. You would assume the VM/server OS they were on was compromised so you'd build a new server clean and copy the safe/scanned files from the backups on to it.

I wonder how many of the ransomware attacks happen on linux servers? I'm guessing none other than connected storage to a Windows machine.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-10, 11:04

I suspect the U.S. is about to become the ongoing victim of this stuff. Get ready for a lot of eye-rolling and Bitcoin movement.

Oh, and higher prices on *everything*!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-14, 14:03

Chemical plant fire in Illinois.

Don't know if we have any folks over there, but if we do I hope they're ok!

What a mess.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2021-06-14, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Chemical plant fire in Illinois.

Don't know if we have any folks over there, but if we do I hope they're ok!

What a mess.
I’ve worked on a couple projects for environmental cleanups from fires like that. Secondary containment can’t do much when you have aerial distribution and all that water. Naturally they are always on top of a hill….

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-06-14, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Hope everything's going okay now.

Also, remember that we're in the crazy 2020's, and this is exactly how the Joker got started...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-25, 11:07

Holy cow! A condo tower in Miami has collapsed.

I had no idea this had even happened, but then again I don't watch "news" channels.

Video of the collapse is here. 4 confirmed dead and another 160 missing. Happened in the late evening, so hopefully everyone was out partying or beach-going, but my inner hunch tells me that won't be the case. People were sleeping.

I'm just … I don't know.

I sure as hell hope this was an accident and not an attack by some nutball.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-25, 11:48

I saw a headline that the building had been shifting/sinking(!) for some time. I don't think it was a direct criminal/terrorist type of act (I hope not), but more of negligence/buck-passing/people not doing their job, etc. scenario.

Not that it's any better or more comforting...it still collapsed, people are still missing/hurt/dead.

If it comes out that things weren't done correctly (construction, inspections, sign-offs, issues/warnings ignored, etc.), holy smokes...heads will roll. Maybe quite a few.

In theory.

These days, I assume nothing.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-06-25 at 12:14.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-25, 12:07

Yeah, I get that.

"Oh, good, it wasn't terrorists!" sounds pretty dumb. Still, I'm glad it wasn't terrorists. We don't need another 20-year war chasing boogey-men!

That said, I'm just sunk. And, if it was problematic prior to the collapse, some heads need to [justifiably] roll.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-25, 12:20

We're entering an interesting period. Buildings/structures that we just kinda take for granted here in the U.S., many of them are approaching their 100th birthday (if not already reached it). In ~1921, was anyone looking that far ahead, 100 years into the future? I don't know. I hope so!

40-50 years from now, will they discover that the Empire State Building is compromised or slightly leaning/sinking? The Washington Monument? That big-ass building in Chicago? The Space Needle in Seattle?

But then you've got stuff in Europe from the 1500's still standing strong, so...

Comes down to the builders/craftsmanship, I guess.

EDIT: I forgot about that big arch in St. Louis. I've driven through St. Louis 2-3 times over the past two decades. That thing is way bigger than any photograph or postcard makes it look. I was stunned. I don't know why I always thought it was just about 100 feet or so, but I somehow managed to undershoot that by a good 500+ feet.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-06-25 at 12:50.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-25, 12:37

The current infrastructure bill that's been ping-ponging around in DC is vitally important to the country. We are sitting on a massive amount of stuff that is well out of warranty, whether it was well built or not, but the badly built public components are going to be going the way of the Miami residential tower.

I cannot imagine the sudden horror of that event.

It sounds heartless to say it, but people may have died mercifully fast in the collapse - that, and the fact that more structures may be examined for failure, is the only good that I can sense coming out of this tragedy.

I pray for their families and loved ones.

Just terrible.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-06-26, 16:13

From what I've seen bridges, culverts, smaller local water control dams and such are a far bigger concern than the average older building. I'd be more worried about some of the homes they are building now, than stuff built 50 years ago. Builders now days are cutting corners left and right to save a buck or two.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-26, 23:06

The infestation of One-Plus-Five apartments will bring a different opportunity in about 25 years.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-06-29, 19:28

No, no, we're fine up here in the PNW, thanks for asking...

It was 109F at my house yesterday in the Seattle area, a good 20F higher than a normal 'holy shit it's hot for June' day.

< 1/3 of residents have any AC at all, in any form up this way.

We have two portable units going full tilt boogie, and it was still so hot in our house yesterday that it exceeded the operating temp of the computer equipment, and I took the day off.

It's been an insane weekend.

- Vinyl siding melting off of apartment buildings.
- I-5 shut down because it buckled. Not a lane, I-5.
- Ground temp in my hometown once again put it in the national news in the 'weird shit' category... (seriously, it's the Florida of the PNW)

https://gizmodo.com/ground-temperatu...s-i-1847193318
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-29, 19:39

A retired couple I know summer in a cabin in Olympia to escape the heat/humidity of summers in Tennessee. They’re currently dying to death, with temps there 20-25 degrees warmer than here. My ex brother-in-law lives in Seattle. And a friend lives in Calgary. She’s miserable. No AC,, near-triple digits, etc. She has ordered a true freestanding AC but it may not arrive this week.

It’s hot/muggy here, but we’re mostly staying below 90.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-06-29, 20:01

We hit 42C (107.6F) here yesterday according to our weather station, and 41C Sunday, 40C and Saturday. Plants in the garden were wilting, some show signs of leaf burn. Had to leave work at noon, when it was 38C. Thank goodness for AC. It didn't go over 32C (90F) today. To put that into perspective the normal temperatures in late June are in the upper 20's C /upper 80sF. The hot spot in Canada today was Lytton BC, 48C (118F). Sounds like Death Valley territory.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2021-06-30, 09:43

Only a balmy upper 90s and humid for the third straight day in the east coast Portland (ME).

And like the PNW that’s with the moderating effect of the nearby cold ocean.

Add on the water restrictions in some areas due to drought and a negligent power company that has a criminally spotty grid that is barely keeping up with the influx and development and rich mega homes blasting their AC…. well… it’s going to be a fun summer.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-30, 10:52

"At least it's a dry heat."

"Yeah, well so is an oven!"

~ Sam Kinison

Been in the low 100's here, which is fine by me because I prefer a hot summer to a cold winter any day of the hot summer!

But, yeah, the PNW is a bit toasty.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-30, 12:27

It is amazing the difference humidity makes, though.

I visited Phoenix with my friend ages ago (her family lives there). We drove from San Diego to Phoenix and when we arrived I remember it was 114 (saw it on a bank sign, and it was on the local radio). I braced myself, getting out to gas up, and I was astounded at how "comfortable" it was (in the shade or the gas station island, and the wind blowing). Yes, it was certainly "hot", but I didn't break a sweat or feel like I needed two showers. The entire weekend was like this. Well over 110 each of the three days (and only down in the 90's at night), but I never felt grungy, sweaty or like I was trying to breathe through a burlap sack.

As long as you were in the shade, had some wind (or ceiling fans) going, dressed appropriately (light, thin clothing) and drinking something (water, ideally), it was totally fine. The few times I had to venture out into the direct sunlight...uh, no. That was pretty brutal!

But I've said for years now - two decades - that I'd rather have 108 in Phoenix than 88 in Chattanooga. It's absolutely true, I've never wavered from that. I've experienced both - the latter for the bulk of my life. Give me a good dry heat, I can take that.

All those trips to Joshua Tree and the SoCal desert during my near-decade living there...I loved those moments. Hot, yes. But bearable with the above factors (shade, wind, etc.). You could do things to make yourself comfortable and it never felt oppressive and miserable. Just a nice "baking" hot, without all that mugginess.

It is 88 here today and I feel like shit on a biscuit; the muggy, thick air just zaps all your spark and enthusiasm for doing anything. Just going out to get the mail, you come back with a sweaty back, neck, etc. You're just constantly coated with a thin layer of sweat. It's just...gross.

If those folks in the PNW are experiencing those temps AND high humidity - and with no widespread AC installations - then I truly feel for them.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-30, 12:51

I lived in Phoenix for five years and spent all of those 5 years on a mountain bike—out in the sun—scrambling over rocks, boulders, and cacti, up North Mountain and South Mountain, playing out on the Cactus Cup trail, blasting along and crushing it! I got so that I loved the heat, and generally do better in it than most people. My wife melts at 70°, and I can handle the heat all the way up the scale.

I think that in an air conditioned society most people cannot handle heat above 90° without trouble, and because of well-heated homes most can't handle the cold, either.

A/C and reliable heat have been huge in helping to shape our society, but also a hindrance when it comes to dealing with power outages.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-30, 13:52

I just saw where Bill Cosby was released from prison. Not because it was discovered that he didn't do what he was charged with/convicted of, but on some legal wrangling/technicality.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-06-30, 17:54

Oh, it's a fustercluck.

Claim was that the DA in 2005 made a deal not to prosecute.

Neither 2005DA nor Cosby attorneys can produce evidence that this agreement existed.

PA law requires such agreements to be filed by prosecutor with court for a sign-off as an oversight pass. No such filing or sign-off exists.

PS SupCt said "Oh, well, golly, if y'all say ya made a gentleman's agreement, despite it being not aligned with PA law, or having any evidence to back it up, we gotta honor it in the name of *fairness*..."

2005DA was Bruce Castor. You may remember him from such roles as one of Trump's defense attorneys in the second impeachment trial.

Yeah.

1%ers stick together like Harvey Weinstein's underwear at an Epstein party.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-30, 18:08

No Comment in Space Piratese

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-07-01, 01:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
1%ers stick together....

They stick together precisely because if it's shown that the system works and that the rich and powerful can once again be imprisoned,
more than half of the powerbrokers in Washington, Wall Street and Hollywood will be in jeopardy.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-07-01, 11:21

A few days ago I noted the hot spot in Canada, Lytton, BC (which peeked at 49.6c (121F), last night a wildfire swept through the town in less than an hour from it first being discovered. So far we don’t know if anyone was killed or hurt by the fire, because it moved through so fast, but many buildings were seen up in flames, including the medical centre/ambulance station.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-01, 11:30

Damn, that's awful. A whole town affected.

As is often the case, chances are good they'll trace it back to a deliberate, evil act (arson). Or, worse (IMO), some atomic-level act of dumbassery (not putting out a campfire properly, throwing a lit cigarette on the side of the highway, using fireworks for a stupid-ass "gender reveal" party, etc.).

The campfire carelessness and cigarette-tossing have long been a cause, the third is a more recent phenomenon (people shooting off cannons, hiring a blimp to skywrite "boy" or "girl", painting animals blue or pink, etc. to notify a bunch of people who couldn't possibly give less of a shit what the upcoming baby is sporting between its legs).
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-07-01, 11:49

Agreed about the cause. My first thought was cigarettes, the other possibility is sparks from two other wildfires in the area, but I don’t think they were that close. They didn’t even have time to get out official evacuation orders, local police/fire and city officials went around to do it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-01, 12:19

That makes me think it was deliberate or man-caused.

If it was an existing, known situation (those two other fires in the area), tabs would've been kept and there would've been some notice/planning/expectations involved? For it to hop off that quick makes me think it might've been something random/unexpected (malicious or otherwise), and there just wasn't time. Everyone was watching the other, known event(s) and this one flared up - no pun - and moved fast, taking everyone by surprise.

There was a huge fire in the Great Smoky Mountains, near Gatlinburg, TN a few years back. It was started by two dipshit teenagers dropping lit matches on the trail. 14 people died, gazillions in destroyed property and, somehow, the charges were dropped against these two morons.

If courts can't bring themselves to hold people like this accountable for their actions, at the very least they should be assigned to a forest fire fighting team for 3-5 years. I can't think of a better lesson/punishment. Pay back in sweat and labor what they helped bring about. Dig trenches, fetch water and supplies for the real firefighters, evade bears and rattlesnakes, endure a few "oh shit!" moments of close calls, see firsthand the damage brought about by being a mindless jackwit, etc.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-07-01 at 12:48.